Shear pin for Motorguide-not fitting?!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay K

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My prop for my 2001 motorguide Pro Series 40 (43lb thrust) fell off last week on friday, and I waited until today for Cabelas to "express ship" it. Now I find that the shear pin that came with the replacement prop will not fit my motor.

Does anyone know where I can find a shear pin that will fit my motor? Looks like another weekend of not being able to fish out of my new boat.:(

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I cut down a finish nail and it seems to be working great.

I feel pretty silly that I did not figure that one out on my own....live and learn I guess!

Thanks again guys. You just made my vacation that started today so much better!!!

Take a little silicone or RTV and dab on to hold the shear pin in place. It will prevent the pin from slipping out and into the water when you are clearing the prop. That was a lesson learned for me.

I had to take off the prop from the same trolling motor once (line tangle behind prop). Well, I dropped the prop nut in the water and also lost the pin to the depths of the lake. Lucky I had a prop nut but, had to fabricate the pin. I took a line clipper that had a pick for untangling reels and cut it of. Used that for the day and it worked well. It did amaze the friend I had with me that day, that I was so resourceful. Replaced my spare prop nut and the pin. Now I carry extras of both onboard.

Bass Pro Shop carries both (lucky I work there and was scheduled the next day).

You may actually have one if you have the mount with the prop wrench built into it. Take the long slim piece off the top. There should be two shear pins in there.

I do not think I have that mount. The finish nail worked great though. I ordered a new one, and I hope it fits!!

Thanks guys!!

well, the shear pins I got from boat and tackle did not fit, and it says "fits all propellors. grrrrrr....

I bought a galvanized nail and cut it down to the right size, and it will not rust. I'm just going to stick with it and the heck with the official shear pin.

Jay K,

The problem with using a nail... It is softer than the pins and will bend when you hit something. You will really have a tough time getting the prop off and then the bent pin out of the shaft.

RoyC

agreed, but I'm not sure I have a better option. I just cannot find one that will fit.

Latest posts

Back