Shad fishing is good fun

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
I took the day off yesterday and drove down to Fredericksburg,VA to catch a some Shad on the Rappahannock.I lived there for several years and try to get back down at least once every year during the run. I watch the forecast for a good cloudy or slightly rainy day which is best. If anyone is reasonably close to F-Burg and want to catch a lot of fish in a short period of time this is the trip for you. I took my two youngest (10 and 11) and they had a blast. All you need is a spinning rod rigged up with a couple shad darts (Green is best in my opinion)and 6-8lb test and you are ready to roll. I would say I had hits,hooked up, or landed a fish on every 5th cast. I landed more than could count in the few hours we were there. We caught all Hickory Shad (1-3 lbs) on this trip but every now and then you will hook into a White Shad (3-8 lbs. You cant beat it for the kids so long as they can handle a spinning rod. If anyone wants to give it a shot let me know and I will give the lowdown on good spots and where to find shad darts etc. The Shad should be running well for the next 2-3 weeks (I'd say it peaks around the 20th)

Chris - sounds like great fun! I may hit you up for some spots as I'm in Northern VA about an hour from Fredericksburg. Thinking of taking my 8 year old son.

Latest posts

Back