Senkos vs BPS Stickos

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Given the cost of Senkos (10 for $6), I often considered trying other brands which are less expensive. Although I had bought a bag of BPS Stickos (20 for $5), i never gave them a chance and assumed that they could never be as productive as Senkos. While fishing Lake Champlain a few weekend ago, I ran out of my favorite color Senko (Green Pumpkin/Black Flake). I happened to have a bag of the same color BPS Stickos so started using them. The results were great and I have no reason to believe that the Stickos are any less productive than Senkos.

So the results of this one to one experiment is that the BPS Stickos worked as well as Senkos. More money to spend on other tackle now!;)

Paul

I've done a head-to-head comparison between senko's and the wal-mart 'tiki-worms'...

Tiki worms are now my brand!

az

I don't know why but the bass in Percy Priest (TN) do not like Senkos. I have only caught 1 bass on a Senko but many on a Berkley worm. I tried Senkos again this weekend and didn't get a bite.

For many years, my go to finesse bait was a plastic worm. Now my go to is a Senko style bait. The down side of this is that I do not use plastic worms much any more and they were my highest confidence bait. I keep thinking I should begin fishing plastic worms more again to improve the bite overall, identifying the proper conditions to use a senko vs plastic worm.

Paul

Andy, I agree 100%, Wave Worm Tiki Sticks have outfished Senkos three times this year for me already, my buddy only used Senkos and I only used Tiki Sticks.

What if you could get Senkos for half the price And made of a more durable material.

They're called Tiki Sticks by Wave Worms

dang....

seems everyone knows my secret....

hahaha

Tiki catch big fish!

az

They do! Bamboo Sticks not so much, but the Tiki's are great.

but let's keep this hush hush LOL:unsure:

I wacky rig them when possible but since I typically fish in weedy areas I Texas rig them more often.

shhhhhhhh

OK...not another word....

Paul - wacky all the way!

az

Ill have to play devils advocate a bit here. For me the senko is the only bait of its type that i will use. Why? One is the action like Paul mentioned. The Senko has an action all its own that i have yet to see duplicated on any of the knock-offs. It also seems to have the rate of fall just right, on the knock-offs they either float or sink like a rock, two things you dont want on a wacky style bait. The fish also seem to hold on to it better then the others, all that salt in the bait not just on the outside makes a big difference IMHO. I have also had far greater success with the senko vs the knock-offs. The biggest thing for me is the production. They flat produce when the others dont. I have tried the stick-o's the wave worms, yum dingers etc...... and every time i end up going back to my senko box and proceed to load the boat when the others failed.

Thats my .02

Waiting for Toxic to chime in.....

I'm not knocking the senko's...

I still have some in my boat...

But I have fished them head to head in the same lake...one after the other....

The wave worms outfished the senko's 3 or 4 to 1....I think their scent has something to do with it...

...again....confindence comes into play....

I'm now waaaaaaaaay more confident tossing wave worms than senko's...

az

I confess, Wave Worms are terrible, please send them all to me and I will dispose of them for you LOL.

They Also tend to last longer. JimB I agree on the action & rate of fall, but just as I agree with that, I beleive the bass in my area prefer the action & fall rate of the tiki stick.

Well, I'm gonna mud the water! I can not speak for Tiki because I have never used them. I bought a half-dozen Senkos four years ago.....couldn't get one to last over one strike. About that time, I was lucky enough to get a sample pack of Cabin Creek Bait Co's version called "Salty Sinking Worm". I could not tell any difference in the action, but it's not uncommon at all to catch three or four smallmouths on one worm. Do they work? I have averaged over a thousand bass for the last two years and well on the way on the third year......using nothing but this bait. I don't throw cranks or other baits.....spinner baits are a dirty word for me. I have never caught bass on a S/B.

The Salty Sinking Worms are priced right too. I pay 18.00 for a 50 pack. Just ordered two mork packs today. They are on the web if interested.

No, I'm not connected with them in any way....I have to buy mine. Just giving my experience with them for general information.

Lamar in Maine

Never heard this argument here before.:) You guys do what you want. I too dislike how much Senkos cost and decry that fact every time I lose one. Having said that I can no longer fish with any other brand of plastic with the same confidence, period! I too have fished them side by side, compared them in my swimming pool, etc. and have ended up NOT using the three million plastics I had in my gear until I started using the Senko's. If, and that's a big if, I HAD to use something else it would be Case Mgic Stiks. I have found they are most like the Senko.

To each his own I guess and as my Dad used to say, "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla". So we all have a choice.

Chris, when I get up there to fish Ghost Lake, we'll have a contest. You use your Tiki's and I'll use Senko's. Then we'll see, at least for that day. AND if the lake doesn't kill us.:unsure:

Bill

Never used a spinner bait? Dude your missin' some gooood fishin':wacko:

OK Bill, but I'm planning on taking you to do some Smallmouth fishing if you ever get up here, the jon boat would cause us both to need more back surgery. LOL

To that end, I will take your offer to see who catches more Smallies and also the green lazy fish up here. But I must say that I do use Bubblegum colored Senko's for the SMB. In any event that sounds like a good challenge. Like I said I beat my buddy yesterday from the back of his boat on his home lake, I was using Tiki stcks & he was using Senko's. The week before that I caught twice as much as him using the above baits. For some reason, especially when the fish are shallow, the tiki's fall slower and must look more realistic to the bass.

I also use the Zoom Yum Dingers in 3", because of the size of the stick you don't get much action anyway (no pun intended). :lol::lol:And the yum dingers are like $2.99 for 20.

CJL

Gentlmen go back in time to when Bass fishing was young and Get yourself's some Manns 8 inch jelly worms and fish with the bait that started the soft bait fad. Nothin' like the original. No way No how.

Noticably quiet...I will restrain myself in the interest of fairplay:p:p:p:p

There will be nothing in my boat other than a Senko....I've tried them all. Come get on the front deck with me with your knockoffs and let's have a little competition. Now I'm not saying that Senko's are the only bait that will catch fish, or are the only option in plastics, or will catch fish everyday, but with my experience rigging them for LOTS of clients (side by side with the competition), there is no comparison. Most of those who cant get bit don't fish them right....right Bill:lol:.

TOXIC

I've been out of fishin a while so I'm a bit ignorant. What is a senko and how are you supposed o fish it?

check out this link for the best senko type bait on the market. you can call them directly. the owner gave me a bunch this past spring to try out and they have the best action of all the baits and I personnally tried them and they are awesome!!!! check them out. if you tried them after buying them, please make a comment or e-mail me and let me know because I believe in them. all I bought were Yum Dingers before, and I actually saw the action on these wacky worms and they definitely have the most action of all senko type baits.

http://www.wackyworm.com

Senko- There is no subsitute. I used to fish worms allot, until I learned how to fish Senko's correctly. I adjust the hook size to adjust my rate of fall. Over the past 2 yrs, I would have to say about 75% of my fish are caught on 5" and ( I think the 4" model) . The trick with them is to NOT overwork the bait. Fish it as slow as you can... and then slow down some more. I think thats why some folks dont catch allot on them, they are fishing them TOO fast.

Jim,

Thanks for the link and they do look good. If I ever fish again I'll give them a try.

I am a huge Senko fan however..

Ahhh Brian, it does my heart good to see what you wrote...:)

Bill

Tox,Tox, Tox. I was using sticko's when I came down and fished with you a year and a half ago. If my memory serves me correctly...I smoked you and your senko's.:D

Gene

I kind of knew a discussion like this would happen when I started this thread ... nice! :wacko:

I think the bottom line is most of these baits work well although they have varying actions. Characteristics of the action are things like speed of fall, frequency of undulation, amplitude of undulation, etc. Different brands have varying degrees of these characteristics and given the fishing conditions, one may work better than the other one day and not the next.

IMHO, as is the case with any bait, fish the brand you have most confidence in.

Paul

Bill, does that mean your going to buy Tiki Sticks? If yes, I will take your Senkos off your hands for ya pal .LOL :p

Yep Gene you waxed me but if I remember correctly 2 fish to 1 is not a major whipping!!LOL!!:lol::lol: That was one of the first times on the hot side in the winter. Nobody did great. My son Waxed me with tubes the day after x-mas too!!

Re-match!!:p:p

TOXIC

Tox!! I thought we taught you better than that!!! Why didn't you "catch" the same fish 4-5 times?!:lol::p Looks like we'll have to retrain you again in August!!:blink::p

anyone remember when they were called ego's? not tiki sticks?

Dave...I really like the chompers brand, too. Can't beat that "stink". I've also used the Snack Daddy sticks with pretty good success this year.

Craig

I hope I can take you up on the rematch, Tox. I had a good time with y'all.

Gene

Bought some of dem senkos today, now if I can figure out how to rig em I'll give them a shot

jdj, it's kinda hard to rig them wrong in my opinion.. I start out with them Tex-Posed.

As it gets torn up I will wacky rig it and then/ or even nose hook them. When I nose hook them I always think back to when I was a boy (yea I can think back that far) and used real worms to fish...Good luck!

Bill

Latest posts

Back