Senko's (or others) in stained water

• Thread starter Brian Ingersoll
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
Do any of you have experience using stickbaits in stained to murky water? I'm talking about 4-8" visiblity. I'm wondering about using them for a follow up bait to a buzzbait/toad in this weekends BFL. If it helps, I'm fishing pad stems and grass in 1-3' of water, water temps should be in the low 60's.

Yes sir. I have had much success with Wave tiki Stik in watermelon red. My success has come in using it as primary bait thrown and can only assume that it would work well as a follow on throw.

Watermelon red????, I was thinking about a much darker color for that low visibility water, black with red or blue flake

Wave's WR is not as "bright" as say, Chomper's. I have thrown the blue/black combinations with success, but once I found overall success with the WR I opted to just stay with that. Some of the waters I fish frequently are dang near gin clear in one spot and turbid in others. I am too lazy to spend even a second changing baits if I don't have to do so. In many of the places I fish, success rate doesn't change throwing WR, June Bug, Red Shad or black/blue. Interchangeable colors from my experience.

the best senko i have ever used for a follow up bait, is a senko lite, im not even sure they still make them, they had less salt so they did not sink quite as fast, and i prefer the color, metholite. it a brite color, and they never miss it,.

mike c

Mike C: I had forgotten all about methiolate as a color. I carry a pack of fry baits in that color. One day it was the only color that would work. On that day the entire lake from 30 feet out into shore was murky, murky, murky. That color saved the day. Good recce! But it takes a real man to throw that color -- :lol::lol:

Often imitated, never duplicated....the Senko works great as a follow up bait. Personally, I have used the Junebug if the water is murky but I have never failed to get bit on color 297 (Green Pumpkin Black Fleck) from gin clear water to chocolate milk. There is something about that color that is universal. It is the only color that I have found that works in both water types and I have thrown a LOT of different colors in a lot of different water. From Crystal Lake in Michigan where you could read the date on a dime in 30 foot of water to the James river where you NEVER can even see your prop in the water. If you want dark there are some variations of black (plain or different flakes) but I can't say that I have thrown them other than Wisconsin where the smallies think they are leeches. Fewer numbers than 297 but bigger fish was the result.

TOXIC

I have to say black. I also upsize to displace a little more water and to send off some extra vibrations from the subtle action a senko gives off. I do this all the time.

Randy!

I am a Wave Tiki Stick fan also. Half the price and catch just as many fish. I have had luck with Tiki Sticks in any condition except real windy days.

The value of upgrading from a Senko-knockoff to a Senko is nowhere near the value of upgrading from a GM/Dodge PU truck to an F150. Just poking ...

Touche my Detroit Nemesis, Touche! :D Although, clearly logic shows that in the analogy Senko is the upgrade to a Senko knockoff, therefore the F150 is the Senko equivalent--nice try.

By the way, with the news I've been seeing, wishing you the best as this storm passes through.

Thanks, I'm headed off to the meeting now. I'll let you know if I get the chance to try any senkos.

Tox is right on with the green pumpkin/black flk,great color and works in any water color.

Marty, go to your room and stay there and they'll also be no dinner for you tonight!!:eek::(

Mac, I sure hope that things get better then what I've been reading about for GM!! I'm truly sorry to say that I haven't read much, mainly because of the way I have been feeling lately. I've kind of been hoping that when I go to bed and then wake up, things will back to normal for the American worker and that's just not going to be is it?.. That's kind of my "head in the sand attitude" but that's been me the last nine months or so. I just can't help it!

Sincerely, Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back