Selling a Car on E-Bay Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
My son's old 83 Mercedes diesel got into a minor parking lot accident the other day and that was sort of the last straw on getting our family car situation back in order. In other words I'm not spending another penny on that old car. I've already spent several thousand dollars fixing that old car up and now I'm done. My wife bought a new '08 Honda Civic and gave my boy the old 97 Accord. I attempted to trade the old Mercedes in but the Honda dealer offered me 200 for it. Heck, I could sell the wheels and like new tires for more than that. The old car is solid as a rock...except for some minor body damage and a broken tail light. I have rebuilt the front suspension, new brakes and rotors, belts, tires, glow plugs, and I can't even remember what all. I believe I can find one of those guys that want to convert the diesel to run on cooking oil and can either fix the dent or ignore it. I got to thinking that I see fishing tackle going for way too much on E-Bay all the time so why not the old M-B? If I could get $1000 or $1500 for it I would be one happy camper.

Question is...have any of you guys ever sold anything as big as a car on E-Bay? I know I need a Pay Pal account. I am registered on E-Bay but I've never bought anything there. How do you go about getting the pictures and all that on there? How likely is it that you get screwed somehow. I've heard some pretty hair raising stories. Nevertheless, I think that E-Bay is the way to find a buyer for a car as old and unusual as this one.

Any tips from anybody?:)

I have sold a boat and several cars without a problem. The only thing is it wasn't the price I was looking for so make your asking price what you want. As for pictures I usually file them on my desk top then EBay will prompt you to download them. Make sure you put in your add that the buyer must make all arrangements for pick up and it is as is no warranty. It will be hard to get what you are looking for. The damage may hinder you. Good luck!! Give us an update when you sell it.

Harpo: I have sold 2 cars, and bought 1 car and 2 boats on ebay. All went great. Even had 2 bidders get in a small bidding war on a jeep of mine and gave me $4400 (dealer was going to give $2500). Pickup buyer came to Dallas from South Dakota to pick it up. So, the market is big and you never know. All I can say is follow the directions. I don't do it a lot, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal. Make it clear that you are not giving any warranties in case Oklahoma would imply some. Good luck with it!!

With it being a diesel it may go for more than some here think. Older diesels(pre-computer crap) are getting a premium from the bio-diesel group. They can put the bio-diesel into it and after replacing the fuel filter several times run their homemade fuel in it for very little cost if they can get used oil free and process it. They don't have to modify the car to run on bio-diesel either. You may want to try and find out where the bio-diesel folks are buying and selling their cars and post it there.

I mentioned this to someone I know that's restoring a 1984 190D for his son. He expressed some interest in it. I'll ask him what his personal email address is and I can private message you with it if you want to go that route?

Nick, my e-adress is posted in my profile. Feel free to give it to your friend. Thanks!:D

Ed, you and I are thinking the same way.

Latest posts

Back