Sealing off a livewell

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCase

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello community, just finished winterizing my 98 700 LX. I don't use the livewell and had an almost very bad experience after bumping the rocker switch for fill. I would like to completely seal off the livewell system from taking on water as I leave the boat at dock all summer. Is there an easy way to make sure there is no chance of water getting into the livewell while unoccupied? I use cut bait and lures primarily so no need for the chance of an accident!

Disconnect the pump and plug all the holes.

Confused by the last sentence, livewells are for keeping your catch alive until time to go to weigh in.

I assumed the livewell could be used for weigh in fish, or for bait fish. I fish with live gills, shiners and suckers, but can keep them alive in a cooler. I am just trying to figure out how to plug the feeder line to the livewell, so in case of the aerate or fill toggle is bumped the boat won't sink. Like I said, almost lost it this spring..........

Attachments

• Resized95IMG-20220521-WA0013 (1).JPG
    Resized95IMG-20220521-WA0013 (1).JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
I would question if the bilge pump works whether in manual or in this case auto. I agree with you in trying to seal off. the livewell, but a secondary pump should have operated and kept the boat afloat.

Agreed!!! The bilge was on a switch, I rewired to a float switch with constant on and also put a sump pump in on a float as well, since I have 120 at the dock. My main concern is sealing this rig from outside water......don't care if it's cork or eliminating lines. When I leave the switch on empty the livewells stay at river level compared to the boat. I would like them to be dry! When on plane they drain to an inch or so, but would like to have them secured completely!

I have a 1999 700LX. Honestly, the boat and livewell system is designed to pump water into the livewells (when activated) without markedly changing the depth the boat drafts as severely as the photo indicates. A full livewell should not endanger your boat sinking. If your bilge pump is constantly on, then water is getting in somewhere else. I would recommend troubleshooting for where water is entering the boat at this volume. It should not be. You should only have a little bit of water in the bilge area and under normal use the pump should only come on if you are fishing in the rain, or getting swamped in rough water. The only time I've ever taken on water this badly is when the drain plug was not in or seated properly. When I was a new boat owner, I forgot the drain plug, and when I launched the boat the bilge pump immediately started pumping out water. I had to get the boat back on the trailer and insert the drain plug. If your boat is pumping water when you put the boat in the water, then you are taking on water somewhere and it's most likely not the livewells. To answer your question, though, you can use your livewells as live bait keepers. Remember to recirculate/aerate the water occasionally.

Awesome response Mark. I had three things go wrong at once. The previous owner had an on off bilge, as he only put the boat in for tournaments....... not a problem, but no auto bilge. When I hit the fill button (accidentally) the tanks filled and then some, so obviously there must not be an outlet tube, or at least one that isn't blocked! I can't see the components under the gas tank and wasn't sure which holes in the transom could be filled to make sure no water gets to the livewell. I pumped her out, dried everything and then only took on an inch or so if it rained heavy the rest of the year, plus, adding the float switch went a long ways. I am looking for a diagram that shows the fill opening on the back and I should be set. I also added a better mooring cover to put on in the spring., thanks again for great feedback.

Awesome response Mark. I had three things go wrong at once. The previous owner had an on off bilge, as he only put the boat in for tournaments....... not a problem, but no auto bilge. When I hit the fill button (accidentally) the tanks filled and then some, so obviously there must not be an outlet tube, or at least one that isn't blocked! I can't see the components under the gas tank and wasn't sure which holes in the transom could be filled to make sure no water gets to the livewell. I pumped her out, dried everything and then only took on an inch or so if it rained heavy the rest of the year, plus, adding the float switch went a long ways. I am looking for a diagram that shows the fill opening on the back and I should be set. I also added a better mooring cover to put on in the spring., thanks again for great feedback.
These details provide a better understanding of your issue. Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't offer anything further, but I'm sure there are some in the forum who can.

Is your boat equipped with a remote livewell plug? I was thinking that was a standard feature on Nitros. That could be your problem. Also you need to inspect your fittings and connections in the bilge area. I had both my bilge pump and aerator pump with cracked hose barbs.
Also your live well overflow may be clogged. It is a larger hose that exits higher out the back. Look for the biggest outlet on your transom and make sure that isn't clogged. You may also have a leaking livewell. Test that by filling and marking the water height inside the live and look for leak down.

Those are the things I would check in your situation. Good luck!

Thank you guys. I have a feeling the outlet may be blocked. I am going to block the inlet and check the drain as well to be sure water is not backfilling past the flapper fitting. Trying not to get into that repair!

With older boats, it is common for the silicone around all the fittings ( I mean All) to disintegrate and start leaking. We all have gone through the fittings and remove them and reseal them, It's time consuming, but it will help your situation.

You can fill the live wells up and see if any of those connections are leaking, they would cause water to fill into bilge. Plug all the livewell inlets and drains first. Water can leak from the fittings at the valve and pumps.

You'll figure it out, good luck

Latest posts

Back