screen condensation- Hummingbird 571HD DI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Weinstein

Reaction score
I wrote tech at Hummingbird that my new unit fogged up (INTERNALLY) everytime whether I kept it on my Z9 overnight or not. They say all units do it...like I'm asking for a replacement or something and they want me to go away. So should I lock it up with drying agent over the Winter or what????

The units are sealed (IPX7 rating) but this is from liquid water intrusion. They are not sealed from air (gasses). When the unit’s lens fogs up it does not mean that there is liquid water inside. It means that the air inside the unit has enough moisture (humidity) in it that when the lens is cooled fast enough to a low enough temperature, that the moisture in the air will collect (condense) on the inside surface of the lens. Part of how this can happen has to do with how the unit is designed in that the 571 HD DI model has an air gap between the lens and the display. Not all of our units have this air gap and therefore cannot fog up.

Storing your unit is a container that has some sort of desiccant will help this.

Just curious: how long does the unit stay fogged up? Is this only for a few minutes or are we talking hours here?

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Toxic- Model FF 571HD DI, given as a replacement from BPS just this past Spring (new).

Greg- The fog stays all day unless it's sunny and warm because I point the lense toward the Sun and it burns off in about 3-4 hours.

Here's how the guy from Hummingbird responded:

Dear Steven,
Thank you for contacting Humminbird and we appreciate your support of our products. Fogging is not a design flaw. All units may fog in the right outside
conditions no matter which brand of marine electronics. To test your unit for this, if you want to, just heat the unit up. You can heat it up by laying it in
the sun and then put a bag of ice on the lens. Any units will fog under these conditions. Humminbird units don’t fog any more than any other brand of fishfinder.
There is not a leak in the LCD.If there was, the display would not work or only partially work. This is caused by the water in the air inside the unit condensing on
the inside surface of the lens when air just outside the lens is significantly colder than temperature of the air just inside the lens.A unit that has condensation
inside of the lens or that is "fogging" does not mean that is actually leaking water inside the unit.Experts will tell you that plastic is actually a porous substance
and over time and temperature changes, will allow water (as a vapor) to move through it.This is why the dry air (nitrogen) and desicant packs (dry packs)
companies used to use in their products to prevent fogging are no longer used--because they just delayed the inevitable.A fogging lens is not unique to our units
as it happens with all marine electronics brands.We have been looking into ways to prevent this, as we are sure all depth sounder manufacturers have been, but
have not found an economical way to do so yet. MATT – HUMMINBIRD CRC

Well, I guess I better never put a bag of ice on a hot screen:rolleyes:.........Extreme examples don't raise customer confidence. A real world explanation of air temps vs fogging would have been better. I can see where a drastic change, like leaving the units installed overnight in cold temps, then getting hit with the direct sun would cause fogging. Or keeping them in your house, then installing them on a cold say. The temperature swing that this condition happens at should be able to be pinpointed. I know in my Ranger, the dash gauges fog very easily.....and clear quickly as well. I assume because the seal is not very air/watertight. It would bother me if they (finders) stayed fogged all day. I keep my finders in protective covers locked in the bed of my truck so the temps will be close. I have never had a fogging problem with them. Nor would I be happy if I did.

Steve,
I would call Humminbird again and ask for Deborah. I sent her a message about this; that is way too long for the unit to be fogged up. See what she can do for you.

Hummingbird's taking it back to redo the seals, etc, whatever it takes and I owe Greg and Toxic for supporting my complaint and taking the time to respond. Everywhere I fish, from St Clair, to Guntersville, and points West, I promise to leave fish for you guys :cool:. And, perhaps more important, I promise to do the same when there's a topic in an area of expertise for me. It's so irritating to get out on the lake and see fog instead of bottom...for hours and hours! Thanks you Golden Rule advocates!

That's all on Greg. I'm just an opinion in the peanut gallery with some real world experience.:p But you can leave those St Clair fish if you want. In 10 years....next May will be our 11th (already have the cottage rented), I have yet to get my 6lber!! That's going to be a replica on my wall when it happens. I had her hooked up one year and she broke me off at the boat. I just wish when I got the Ranger, it wasn't networked Lowrance and I got a smokin deal on some new units because I really wanted to try out some Bird units and customer service is one of the reasons.

Greg hanging around this board injecting his wisdom and tons of help is the reason I just made the leap from Lowrance to Bird. He makes this a better place (Wayne P too!). This board is a wealth of knowledge period!

Thanks guys, in truth I just like to help others and am glad that I can use what I know to help others out. This board (well, the old NTOWS) helped me with some tin boat problems many years back and yet I still feel I owe everyone something back.

At this point there is no 2nd choice to St Clair for me. Couple that with the good friends Mac, Mini, Neeley, Gene and a few others and it can't be beat. Here is a pic from 2011 when Teri got to join us. Does anybody look unhappy? What a crew!!

MVM10-10.jpg

Looks like good company to me.We had 2 couples plus 2 in my boat staying on Mitchell's Bay, plus 2 other trips to the US side (N St Clair) this last Summer alone when I finally got to try St Clair. Loved it...got my first Muskie out of Mitchell. I like the variety of big game fish, along with the smallies, of Northern fishing vs TN, KY, AL + GA...where I'd spent most time in the past. You prefer US vs Canada? And, do any fishing in colder months?

I fished St. Clair for the first time this year with three other guys using two boats. One was from Alabama, one from Kentucky, and one from Connecticut. We caught around 250 smallmouths, about 75 rock bass and a northern pike in three days of fishing just offshore at St Clair Shores.

That's the draw of St Clair. Multiple species and the chance for a trophy in so many different ways. I've got thousands of stories and just as many pictures from our 10 years of going up there from Virginia. It truly is a magical place. There have been times where we had to stay in the cottage because of weather and we have fished in some nasty conditions as well but we have NEVER had a bad trip. Yes we have fished the Canadian side but it was years ago when we went later in the summer. We now go the end of May when the catch and release season starts. Weather is more unstable but the fishing is remarkable. Plus we have gone for so many years that we (along with recon done by our local buddies) can always find them. We bed fish, drag, fluke, crank, jerk, or do whatever the fish want. Lake St Clair is fisherman's crack!! Here's a little article done on us by a local writer.

BeukemaMVMarticle.jpg

Latest posts

Back