Scout Rifles

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
About four years ago, scout style rifles caught my fancy. Always liked the handy length of carbines, and the compact scout seemed to be a natural evolution of a hunting carbine.

I was doing a bit of home gunsmithing back then, and had a "gunsmith special" Schmidt Rubin K-31 that had a badly damaged forestock, so I decided to turn it into a scout rifle. Cut the barrel to 16.5" and remounted the front sight assembly. Fabricated a mount for the scope that integrated into the K-31's rear sight assembly. Also made the front sight taller so it could be seen over the scope mount. Tapped the receiver for a rear peep sight, which serves as a backup for Nikon 2x pistol scope. Shortened the stock about 1", modified an ammo sleeve by sewing in some padding to raise the cheek weld.

Turned out well. Shoot and functions great. Someday, when I grow tired of my 336 (which may be never), this will become my deer rifle.

Here she is.

k31scout_1.jpg

k31scout_2.jpg

k31scout_3.jpg

k31scout_6.jpg

k31scout_7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back