Scent?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Sabin

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about ways to improve for next year. So, Im thinking about using spray scents. And Im wondering what, if any, do you guys use, and what would you recommend. What brand, flavor and under what circumstances etc..................Thanks

ken,

i like jacks juice and lunker sauce. both in the crawfish flavor. they seem to be the ones that work best for the areas i fish. though it all seems like presonal preference, the science behind lunker sauce sold me check there website out.

mike c

There's alot of good scents out nowadays.

I like these:

Kickn'Bass

Lunker Sauce

Batmaite(Walmart) Chartruese with fleks for hardbaits

I use Chompers Garlic scent, smells to high heaven. I've use other brands with no better or worse sucess and I have probably caught just as many fish not using any scent at all.

HP

Agree with Tee on two Lunker sauce & KicknBass but also use Chompers. Use them on all hard baits & spinner baits :wacko: Renew it about every 10 cast when I remember to do it :blink:

I use it more with some other unscented brand plastics....anything other than Powerbait;)

I've tried most of it, Bang, Yum, Megastrike, but Kick 'n Bass garlic is the ONLY one that I've noticed a differance in whether or not I catch anything. I've been going along not catching a thing...squirt some KNB on and get a strike on the very next cast. That makes me a beliver. I like the concept of Megastrike but it doesn't seem to work as well as KNB. I use the Megastrike on my hands when I start to fish...especially if I've pumped gas.

Harpo

I am by no means a bass expert... who could be :)lol:)....? But, the ever more sophisticated walleye responds best to the use of scent when water temps are lower (under 50 degrees)... So, (seriously) scent combined with lower temps may influence bass as well. So, watch other factors besides brand, flavor, etc...

I've used Crossbow's, Berkley's, and Chompers' stuff while my backseater often uses nought. I generally outfish them. However, I'm more apt to attribute those results to my superior skills and front seat position than the scent. :lol:

I have been a long time user of KNB, but it makes a mess on my boat, even when I hold it out away from everything. I am not sure how, but it always ends up in little dots on my topcap. I don't find it lasts as long as I would like it to either, and have started getting much better results with a large tub of Crawfish scented Smelly Jelly. It stays where I put it, and lasts a good long time.

BTW - on the subject of scent. I have got KNB, Smelly Jelly, etc... on my hands in the past, and the stuff really "stays" with you, if you know what I mean. So I started carrying a bottle of Hunters Specialties liquid soap in my boat. I figured that if it does such a good job of removing the "stank" off of me before going deer hunting, that it should work well for this as well - and it does. I highly recommend carrying a bottle in your boat - if for nothing else, to clean your hands before you start handling lures - no matter whether you are using lure scent or not, it will help get rid of "your" scent before you start threading plastics on a hook, etc...

All the best,

Glenn

Ken - I've used KNB, Smelly Jelly, YUM, and a couple of others. My take is that some type of scent is better than no scent. However, I also don't believe there's that much difference between brands when it comes to effectiveness. I think they all work when applied fresh. The key components for me are how easy they are to apply and how long they last. Otherwise, I can't see bass being that finicky over brands of scent! Types, maybe - but not brands!! :D

Kenn - I don't like the spray top bottles so I pour some of the liquid (after shaking the bottle) into a sandwich or quart size ziplock bag and then dip my plastics or hard baits into the bag to minimize the droplets that Tritonglenn talks about. It also covers the entire lure and leaves little, if any, waste.

Don't forget about Megastrike. The juice Yamamoto infuses into the senko. It is a paste, kinda like Smelly Jelly in a tube. Cold side Anna flavor is and will always be garlic.

TOXIC

Here is a little tip we use on Cumberland when doing the float n - fly, it's called Fish Dope. Comes in a tube like kinda like Chapstik, but reeks of garlic.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back