Savage 896 DC hole shot issues

• Thread starter Matthew Wolfgram
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Wolfgram

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in dire need of some help here. I've got a 98 Savage 896 DC with a 99 200hp Opti. I recently swapped out my tempest 24p prop for a trophy plus 24p to try and aid in the holeshot. I had taken 2 of the PVS plugs out. Was in a tournament on the weekend, and with my livewell full and 5/8 tank of gas and a partner, I could not get on plane. Had to pump out livewell to 2/3. Even then it took me forever to get up on plane. Once on plane, 60mph was no prob. I've got a hydraulic jack plate on my rig with a 5" lift. Not sure if I should be playing with the height of the motor or not. I was always under the impression that you trim down and tuck your motor in as much as possible for a better holeshot. I'm going to remove the other 2 plugs on my prop. Just don't know how much more that'll help. Any other recomendations would help alot. My WOT is about 5750-5900 rpm on the needle. Motor isn't blowingout on take off, she just seems to bog down and isn't able to get it up over that hump.

Thanks in advance!!

Matt

We need need more info. You say it takes forever to get on plane. Is this because you are cavitating or bogging?

Bogging. It loads up good, but just doesn't seem to have enough umph to get past that point where the front end comes down. No Cavitating at all. No blowing out. Motor doesn't sound like it is losing power. Just can't get over that hump.

Take out all the plugs and let the prop spin. Tuck the motor down all the way and try raising the motor.

What about this exhaust ring?? In or out??? Was told by some fellow tournament anglers that I needed the ring, but the dealer said the ring would only makes things worse. ???

You only need an exhaust ring if you are cavitating to the extreme.

Latest posts

Back