Sat in a new Z9 today - impressions

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I'm attending the Hampton BPS Spring Classic this weekend, so I stopped in today to drop off a few items for the show tomorrow. There was a really beautiful looking Z9 sitting on the showroom floor, no engine - just boat, so I had to climb all over and check it out.

Immediate impressions - beautiful boat, with tons of "gadgets" and "cool stuff".

I'm not sure, because I didn't ask a salesman, but the other pro-staffer there that was checking it out pointed out some little contacts on each of the locker lids - "alarm system" he said. Hmmm... never saw THAT on a boat, and I don't know how well it's going to work, but it's on the "gadget" list.

The other pro-staffer pointed out a vital flaw - he told me "open one of those rear lids on the back deck", so I opened the port side one, right behind the passenger. Immediately, I saw flex - BAD - as the lid carpet caught in front, and not in the back. If that lid flexes when you open it, just imagine what it's going to do when your 200+ lb buddy stands on it. :unsure:

All of the other lids had structural supports underneath, so they were just fine.

I also noticed the corners in the compartment I opened, when I took the drop in liner out to see what was underneath - very sharp corners - not a lot of "round" to them - I could just envision the future stress cracks starting from each of the four corners. I could be wrong, but it's been my experiece that sharper corners on openings are generally trouble areas for stress cracks in the gel coat.

The two "step down" plates between the two passenger seats are a really cool idea, but they are very narrow - I would have preffered something wider - maybe just one wider one instead of two skinnier ones. But the grab handles looked like ejection handles from a fighter airplane - huge honkin grab bars - I'm sure the passengers will appreciate that.

Cool "gadget" drawers that slide out on each side, right before stepping onto the front deck. Don't know what I'd put in them, but still cool to have.

Front trash can on the port side, under a small lid, right at the step up point from the sole of the boat - nice removable liner. Someone thought that one out. I like it. The ice chest immediately to its side, over towards starboard, but on the same level, is kind of small for my taste. It's wide enough to put a bag of ice into it without bending the bag, but it's about the same depth as that bag of ice also. Looking underneath it (you can see underneath it when you pull out the trash can liner), they could have went quite a bit deeper. I would have gone at least another 6" with it.

Nice tackle storage up front - plenty of room for all your stuff. I didn't really notice a tackle storage center type setup - like what you normally see on most boats today to fit 3700 size boxes. I don't know if I like that or not. They both have their ups and downs.

Port rod locker was huge. You could set up an air mattress in it, take a nap in there, and claim your boat as a "second home" on your taxes next year. :lol: I liked the rear rod rack in there - simple, unrestrictive. I hate the front one though. I can just see rod guides getting ripped off, particularly on spinning rods. All of the tip openings looked small.

Starboard rod locker had room for your partners air mattress, refrigerator and stove :p Tons of storage on this boat.

Dashboard - cool gauges, nice bezels, on a rather "boring" dash background. For the price of this boat, I'd expect fake burlwood, brushed aluminum or carbon fiber at a minimum. Nice layout though. I can't recall, but I think it had the same three spoke, non-equidistant steering wheel of boats of the past. Nitro really needs to add a nice equidistant spoked wheel to the helm of this flagship (and all of their boats with hydraulic steering). It deserves it.

Front deck - padded. Ahhhhhhhh :) I love that fee

Good write up. AT 1720lbs it outta scoot with a 225. Remember a 929 with a 225 and 200lbs more scoots right at 70.

Lows $60s what r ya puttin on it?

I do think the Nitro has come a good way with the standard items on the boat. Padded carpet, Lowrance 25c.

But 46 or low 60s is way too rich for me .

I'm wondering if that boat actually weighs 1720. My 20 foot 'toon weighs 1724 according to the manufacturer, and tops out at 74 most days (75 once), with me and a modest load / 1/4 tanks. The Z9 sure does look a ton heavier than my boat though. I could be wrong. I'd have to put them side by side for a look, and would love to drive one with a 225 Optimax, just to compare.

I was thinking if she was a heavy girl - I'd put the biggest engine available on it.

Anyone know someone that's bought one, and has put it through it's paces?

All the best,

Glenn

I think it's all about the Fuzion hull. According to the brochure and the Nitro website the Fuzion hull is..."LIGHTER- A bigger, longer boat that's 200 lbs. lighter! The Z-9 is larger, yet the hull weight is reduced by hundreds of pounds, which increases performance and fuel economy on and off the water". It goes on to to state that the Z-9 weighs 1,720 lbs. and the 929 weighs 1,919 lbs. In addition, a higher glass to resin ratio results in a stronger hull that eliminates flex in the hull. All of this is suppose to result in an "over 8% increase in speed" How much of this is real science and how much is marketing hype I guess time will tell.

I don't see how you can get this boat up to 60 grand. I optioned it out just the way I would want it but with a 300 Opti Pro XS and it hit 53 K. I really think a 250 hp would run the boat just fine and that would only be a schooch over $50,000. That was with the MK MaxxPro 101 and 30 amp Guest...I did pass on the 17" blades for 2 grand. You would still need to add a finder for the front so add an additional $650 for a 520.

I guess the looks of the Z-9 are a matter of taste. I think it's a little over the top with the boy racer look but it is pretty sexy too. I especially like the re-boarding ladder...that's handier than pockets on shirts.

Of course, it's way out of my financial grasp but I think it will hold it's own in the big leagues. It certainly shows that Nitro is willing raise the bar a little in the top of the line bass boat market.

Harpo

OK - $60K might have been quite a bit over the top - doesn't matter though - no offence meant to anyone that owns this boat, or any other Nitro, but if I can afford over $50K for a boat, It will probably be a Z series of another manufacturer.

I was thinking biggest engine possible, Bobs Hydraulic Jackplate, LCX-28C HD in the dash, LMS-520C up front, Lowrance Net with all the fuel flow, etc.. sensors. , Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 101 US, taxes, title, license, rigging, etc... was going to push the price quite a bit up there - maybe $60K was a stretch. Doesn't matter - too rich for my blood.

Still a sweet looking / laid out boat. I enjoyed checking it out, both yesterday and today.

All the best,

Glenn

That's not an alarm system.....The lighted storage on all 9 series comes on when u open the boxes. Thats what those two connections are on the storage lids

BassCat has had an alarm on the lids for quite a few years now. All run by mercury switches on the lids. They work great except when they fall off....lol

Mini

Latest posts

Back