Safety Chain/cable Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjg202

Reaction score
I have 2005 loadrite bunk trailer for a 17 foot Nitro I jus got. The cables are stretched and corroded and really long for my midsize suv. On this trailer they are mounted to both bolts on the trailer tongue skid. So If I replace with cables that I can find in 36 inch my question is since the tongue skid bolts are about 5 inches apart one cable would be shorter. Would that be a problem? I did find 24 inch chains which may allow me to adjust links for size. I would think the cables should be the same length?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cables should be the same length. You need to cross the chains underneath the tongue, the chains should catch the tongue and ride in the crossed chains just below your hitch in case it comes off.
Chains too long and the tongue will drag the ground, too short and you won't be able to turn a corner.

Trailer Safety Chains should be as short as practical. To measure, attach the trailer in an “almost Jack-knifed” condition, and set the chain length to the furthest connection points. The chain should not be tight, but should not have much slack either. Too many times we just use and accept the chains that come with the trailer without thinking about the implications. Shorter (within reason) chains are safer in several ways.
https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-safety-chains/

Back