Ryobi ONE+ tools ... go lithium or ditch 'em?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
Anybody here have the ONE+ tools with lithium batteries?

I have a bunch of Ryobi ONE+ tools, along with a bunch of dying NiCad batteries. Trying to decide if I should upgrade to lithium, or perhaps get away from Ryobi altogether. The tools have been reliable, but the short-lived batteries are a headache.

I replaced a Craftsman Ni-Cad drill with the Ryobi One+ Li drill/impact driver combo w/2 batteries and charger($99 on sale at HD). Truly amazed by the difference. The assortment of equipment they make that all use the same Li batteries is astounding. I thought about buying one of the optional larger Li battery also but thought I'd try the stock ones 1st. So far the standard Li dual batteries it came with are more than sufficient for my purposes. I have not yet managed to drain one down and need to switch out to complete projects. As of yet I haven't added a skill or reciprocating saw yet to upgrade from my Crapsman set, but those might need the larger batteries for deep cutting/draws. PLUS, the Li batteries are backwards compatible and fit ALL One+ past equipment including the older blue models! Can't remember if the Li batteries need a Li charger, but I would think so.

I bet you didn't know that you if you look for the special deals (5 pack) that you get lifetime free battery replacement when you register it with RIDGID as well as lifetime warranty on the tools (against defects). No muss, no fuss. I just took a battery that failed to the closest RIDGID authorized service place. They ckecked the serial number on the site, bingo, new Lithium Ion 18v battery in my hands.

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/P...-Batteries-for-Ridgid/td-p/47413#.Uo1NXicxYow

I personally am a big fan of Dewalt cordless tools. I have an assortment of the 18v volt and i still use the old XRP nicad batteries. All of my professional contractor friends use them almost exclusively with one exception and he wont use anything but makita.

Started out with Dewalt... Gave those to my son when I switched to Rigid (w/lifetime warranty). I now have some Milwaukee M12 tools for work and like them a lot. If I had to choose today it would be Milwaukee and then Rigid just based solely on the tools' performance. But, considering the warranty issue the Rigid are close enough in performance to be my first choice for new 18+ volt tools.

However, if I were Rich, I would examine my Ryobi tools and "guesstimate" their future life....4 or more years and I would battery up the Ryobi tools. Less than four years (guessed) life and I would get a 3-4 piece Rigid (make sure you get a set with a full sized hammer-drill) to get the lifetime warranty (check that it is available and follow the rules on registration).

As an aside, I have a small (check it out personally) Milwaukee M12 Hammer-Drill, Screwdriver, Impact Wrench/tool, and Multi-tool. They are perfect for small projects and carrying in an everyday tool bag.

Greg, last year I bough the Milwaukee M12 rotary tool, which I use with a Dremel chainsaw sharpening jig. Awesome tool. I occasionally use it with the cutoff wheels, too. It's shocking how much work that little battery pack will do. Last year, I had to cut off about 30 1/4" rusted bolts from a trailer I am restoring. The M12 cut those bolts without hesitation, and was still showing the better part of a full charge when I was done.
I've thought about getting the M12 3/8" drill/driver. Certainly would make a handy companion tool for a lot of projects. But I also do a lot of drilling with 1/2" bits, and many of my building projects are with heavy, wet treated lumber and long decking screws, which might be too much to ask of the M12 system. I do love the M12 system, though.

The Ryobi tools themselves are perfectly durable. The batteries, not so much. I've been watching the Xmas deals come and go. Turns out, Ryobi now has three flavors of ONE+ batteries: NiCd, Lithium, and Lithium+. And two sizes of the Lithium batteries. Having trouble finding reliable testimonials about the Lithium batteries.

I've got the following Ryobi ONE+ tools: 1/2" drill, 3/8" drill (2), flashlights (2), 5 1/4 circular saw (2), reciprocating saw, vacuum. I like all of them. I just hate the idea that they need to be fed batteries every year or two. And because I have them split across two homes (residence, cabin), I don't feel I can get by with just two batteries. Really need 3, probably 4, and a couple of the dual chemistry chargers. So, it's either that, or I have to start out all over again with a different brand. Would I love Dewalt, or the Milwaukee M18 system? Sure! But the replacement cost for all the tools I already have is prohibitive.

Still pondering.

I ended up getting one of the Ryobi Lithium drill and saw kits with two batteries. We'll see how they hold up.

Still using the same DeWalt tools but have one lithium battery and charger. I run a Drill driver/hammer drill/ cordless wet dry mini vac for boat and truck and a saws all. No complaints.

fatrap

The Dewalt stuff is mighty appealing; the assortment of available tools is great. No doubt, Ryobi isn't that level of quality, but the tools assortment/availability is similar to Dewalt.

Just had a chance to use the lithium batteries for the first time. Forgot how good the tools work when the batteries aren't completely whipped. :)

Latest posts

Back