Rusting Trailer Rims

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Have a new Nitro trailer May 2021. The rims are rusting. Live in Upstate NY no salt water use. Fresh water only. No winters. Is anyone having the same problem.
UPDATE: RIMS AND TIRES REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. Thanks to Auburn, NY Tracker Service Center.

Attachments

• 5BBC62AE-E6C8-4D6F-8399-1E711C26D1F2.jpeg
    5BBC62AE-E6C8-4D6F-8399-1E711C26D1F2.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 43
  • FDA3E5E4-BDA5-4450-97DF-1C429B3BB07E.jpeg
    FDA3E5E4-BDA5-4450-97DF-1C429B3BB07E.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 41
  • 98C9C0E5-A3F2-4E55-A56C-0B6222B3B9EC.jpeg
    98C9C0E5-A3F2-4E55-A56C-0B6222B3B9EC.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 544B7D69-080C-4543-84E7-A35458E93639.jpeg
    544B7D69-080C-4543-84E7-A35458E93639.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 37
In picture ...6d1f2-jpeg, is that a crack? If so, should be fixed or replaced.
I had a 1993 and have a 2010 Tracker trailer, and my rims never have had that much rust.
I would wire brush the rust, prime with rust reformer, and paint.
Could be a new trailer with older rims. Wouldn't hurt to check the tire dates.

Didn't notice any cracks, was just taking pictures with a cell phone. The boat and trailer are in storage now. Will have to check more carefully next spring. Thanks for the heads up. Have notified Nitro and White river marine along with Tracker Marine. Hoping everything can get replace under warranty. Trailer rusting internally also.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 36
Do you let the boat sit outside? I’m wondering if water is pooling in those areas, promoting the rust. Steel/chrome wheels aren’t the best at at holding up to the weather, anyway.
And I would also check on what appears to be the crack that cceguy pointed out. That could be bad news.

Do you let the boat sit outside? I’m wondering if water is pooling in those areas, promoting the rust. Steel/chrome wheels aren’t the best at at holding up to the weather, anyway.
And I would also check on what appears to be the crack that cceguy pointed out. That could be bad news.
The trailer is outside all summer. About the pooling water. The spare rim also has rusting on the underside that is facing down so there is no way for water to pool on it. This trailer was new in May 2021. Thanks for help. So no winters. Showed pictures to Tracker Marine service people and they don’t know why the rims and trailer are rusting either.

I would clean up the rim and put a couple coats of chrome wheel polish on all your rims inside and out. This seems very odd since you do not launch in salt water. There has to be something in your area where you park it or use it that is causing enhanced corrosion issues. I live 35 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and have ZERO corrosion issues. Did your boat come directly from the factory or was it sitting on some BPS lot near the ocean that got flooded previously. The reason I mentioned this is When I purchased my boat in January of 2019, they had a PGV175 SC and a PGV 16 SC that were 2016 models that were in my mind from a BPS store that was in a Hurricane and flooded. the interiors were junk and the carpeting was ate away. These were new 2016 boats. When I asked about them they told me they have been sitting on their storage yard all this time. I thought who are you trying to BU** SH**! The boats were discounted with full warranty, but I did not want to take a chance on either one.

I have a 2008 189 sport that lived a hard life stored outside before I bought it last year and neither my trailer nor wheels look anything like that. We have it in the water almost weekly year round.... twice last week. Gotta love West Texas winter.

It's been kept inside since we bought it... but did require a very thorough cleaning.

The trailer title states where it was made, but not where it came from. The idea that this trailer was in a hurricane flood area crossed my mind. I'm not going to clean the rims right now. I had filed a complaint with Nitro and White river marine about my trailer rusting three (3) days after I picked up my boat in May. Where the boat is kept during the summer is completely free of any kind of road salts. No chemicals either. I file a second complaint this October for the rusting wheels and the spreading rust on the trailer. They claim these trailer are coated inside the tubing also. I'm hoping they will honor and stand by their warranty. One does get to a point that you feel like you are being jerked around and they are not being totally honest with me. If anyone knows of phone numbers of people higher up the chain for White River Marine that mite help me please pass them along. Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Have something else that's on my mind. I got this boat and motor in May 2021. Everything states a 2021 Nitro Z19 Sport, the bill of sale states 2021 Mercury Marine 150HP motor. Stamp on my motor states made in 2020 FEB. Can you sell a motor made in FEB. 2020 over a year old and sell it as a May 2021 motor?

I have a 2008 189 sport that lived a hard life stored outside before I bought it last year and neither my trailer nor wheels look anything like that. We have it in the water almost weekly year round.... twice last week. Gotta love West Texas winter.

It's been kept inside since we bought it... but did require a very thorough cleaning.
I baby my boats. Never see snow, stored inside for the winters, wipe them done after each use. Can't find one person that's thinks this is OK or normal.

Update on the rusting wheels/rims. Tracker Marine Service Center replaced all three wheels this week under warranty.

The trailer title states where it was made, but not where it came from. The idea that this trailer was in a hurricane flood area crossed my mind. I'm not going to clean the rims right now. I had filed a complaint with Nitro and White river marine about my trailer rusting three (3) days after I picked up my boat in May. Where the boat is kept during the summer is completely free of any kind of road salts. No chemicals either. I file a second complaint this October for the rusting wheels and the spreading rust on the trailer. They claim these trailer are coated inside the tubing also. I'm hoping they will honor and stand by their warranty. One does get to a point that you feel like you are being jerked around and they are not being totally honest with me. If anyone knows of phone numbers of people higher up the chain for White River Marine that mite help me please pass them along. Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Have something else that's on my mind. I got this boat and motor in May 2021. Everything states a 2021 Nitro Z19 Sport, the bill of sale states 2021 Mercury Marine 150HP motor. Stamp on my motor states made in 2020 FEB. Can you sell a motor made in FEB. 2020 over a year old and sell it as a May 2021 motor?
It seems that manufacturing dates on motors and boats can differ by a year or more. One reason I saw was that motors are made ahead based on anticipated sales. Then a dealer may buy several motors to get a volume discount. If he bought towards the end of the year, he may still have some when the next year's models arrive, and uses his current previous year motor inventory. Right or wrong? Maybe you got a better price than if you waited to get a current model. I bought a new 2006 truck in October of 2006. The 2007's were already out, but the same model cost almost $7000 more. Still have that truck, and that extra year doesn't seem to matter that much anymore.

They documented the motor on paper so your warranty will start from that date not 2020 when the motor was made. My 2020 Z20 has a 2019 250 but warranty starts on purchase date. (At least that’s what they told me anyway)!

It seems that manufacturing dates on motors and boats can differ by a year or more. One reason I saw was that motors are made ahead based on anticipated sales. Then a dealer may buy several motors to get a volume discount. If he bought towards the end of the year, he may still have some when the next year's models arrive, and uses his current previous year motor inventory. Right or wrong? Maybe you got a better price than if you waited to get a current model. I bought a new 2006 truck in October of 2006. The 2007's were already out, but the same model cost almost $7000 more. Still have that truck, and that extra year doesn't seem to matter that much anymore.
[
But you knew you were buying a 2006 truck. Would it have been ok with you if the 2006 truck turn out to be built it very early 2005 and you didn't find out until 6 months later. Honestly not likely. Also replacement insurance in case of a accident do you think your insurance company will give you the value for a 2005 or 2006. And there were no discounts in 2021 boats. One set price.

They documented the motor on paper so your warranty will start from that date not 2020 when the motor was made. My 2020 Z20 has a 2019 250 but warranty starts on purchase date. (At least that’s what they told me anyway)!
That is correct.

Latest posts

Back