Rusting Trailer Rims

Nitro & Tracker Boat Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro & Tracker Boat Owners Forum:

DONAOL

Reaction score
Have a new Nitro trailer May 2021. The rims are rusting. Live in Upstate NY no salt water use. Fresh water only. No winters. Is anyone having the same problem.

Attachments

cceguy

NTO Supporter
NTO Supporter
Reaction score
In picture ...6d1f2-jpeg, is that a crack? If so, should be fixed or replaced.
I had a 1993 and have a 2010 Tracker trailer, and my rims never have had that much rust.
I would wire brush the rust, prime with rust reformer, and paint.
Could be a new trailer with older rims. Wouldn't hurt to check the tire dates.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Didn't notice any cracks, was just taking pictures with a cell phone. The boat and trailer are in storage now. Will have to check more carefully next spring. Thanks for the heads up. Have notified Nitro and White river marine along with Tracker Marine. Hoping everything can get replace under warranty. Trailer rusting internally also.

Attachments

JohnB

Reaction score
Do you let the boat sit outside? I’m wondering if water is pooling in those areas, promoting the rust. Steel/chrome wheels aren’t the best at at holding up to the weather, anyway.
And I would also check on what appears to be the crack that cceguy pointed out. That could be bad news.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Do you let the boat sit outside? I’m wondering if water is pooling in those areas, promoting the rust. Steel/chrome wheels aren’t the best at at holding up to the weather, anyway.
And I would also check on what appears to be the crack that cceguy pointed out. That could be bad news.
The trailer is outside all summer. About the pooling water. The spare rim also has rusting on the underside that is facing down so there is no way for water to pool on it. This trailer was new in May 2021. Thanks for help. So no winters. Showed pictures to Tracker Marine service people and they don’t know why the rims and trailer are rusting either.

Latest posts