Rough Water Driving

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wagner

Reaction score
I have a Z7 and have been out numerous times with 1 to 1 1/2 foot waves and good size whitecaps, and every time the Z7 has given a great ride. If the waves are close together, I am able to give it enough gas to run the tops of them and the ride is incredibly smooth and dry.

The other day, I was out on Cayuga Lake and experienced something entirely different. The lake didn't "look" rough at all. There were almost no white caps, but there were rolling waves that I would estimate at 1 1/2 foot from trough to crest. What was different is that the waves were very far apart, so running the tops of them was not possible, at least with an 18-19 foot boat. Going into the waves or sideways wasn't bad after I found the correct speed and trim, but going with the waves was the worst ride I have ever experienced. I ended up running back to the ramp at the slowest speed I could still keep the boat on plane with the motor trimmed in, but it was still a bone jarring ride.

If I got caught out in 3-4 foot waves, I would not have even put the boat on plane and ran it with the nose up. I know that would give a much smoother ride, as I have done that when crossing large boat wakes. However, the lake simply didn't look rough enough where I thought I would have needed to run it that way.

I would appreciate any advice on getting a better ride going with the waves when they are far apart. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

Conditions like that are where a hot foot and wheel trim will really shine. Being able to make very quick throttle adjustments will allow you to accelerate down from the crest of a wave then you can let off the throttle and have it kind of float over the next crest, back on the throttle, off again..... Its hard to describe in text but with a hand throttle its very hard to make the quick adjustments to the throttle that are needed to run waves that are spread apart. As you saw constant speed and throttle = punishing ride. With a foot throttle you can get a nice cadence going and keep the ride smooth as possible.

I was faced with very similar conditions on Wed on lake Winnipesaukee where there were 2-3 footers with the occasional 4 spread too far apart to run on top. I had no problem running them at a decent clip in my Z7 using nothing but throttle adjustments as i mentioned. I didnt stay dry(you really cant in those conditions) but i didnt get beat up which is the most important thing.

We got caught on Lake Erie (western basin) 10 to 12 footers in a 26 foot boat, took our time getting back to Turtle Creek Marina. The boat had deck drainage back to the lake, allowed the break overs better drainage than going to the bilge. Fun trip back. We did limit out on Walleye, average 26 inches.

cq

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I do have a wheel trim, but no hot foot. I know what you mean about it being hard to make quick adjustments with the throttle. Do you have a jack plate? I do not, and wonder if adding one would "smooth out" the ride in rougher water. I still have not made up my mind if I need one, or if I should go with a manual or hydraulic should I choose to add one.

CQ, I can't even begin to imagine 10-12 footers!:eek: The roughest I have ever been on was around 3 footers on Canandaigua Lake. I'm glad to hear you made it back safe, and got your limit of Walleye as well!

Mike

We did not run very fast, took our time over the swells. It was to rough for anybody to get sick.:p:) All of our wives saw the weather alert and our phones were ringing big time. We had been drift fishing in 4 to 5 footers and tearing the Walleye up, then we saw the storm and started back. as luck was on our side we didn't have to run very far in the big stuff. Now we all carry or have weather alert system on our phone or separate radio.

cq

FWIW - A jackplate will lengthen your hull as well as optimizing performance. Longer (bigger) hulls handle bigger water better. No one ever wishes their boat was shorter in heavy wave action. Good luck! ;)

Conditions like that are where a hot foot and wheel trim will really shine. Being able to make very quick throttle adjustments will allow you to accelerate down from the crest of a wave then you can let off the throttle and have it kind of float over the next crest, back on the throttle, off again..... Its hard to describe in text but with a hand throttle its very hard to make the quick adjustments to the throttle that are needed to run waves that are spread apart. As you saw constant speed and throttle = punishing ride. With a foot throttle you can get a nice cadence going and keep the ride smooth as possible.

I was faced with very similar conditions on Wed on lake Winnipesaukee where there were 2-3 footers with the occasional 4 spread too far apart to run on top. I had no problem running them at a decent clip in my Z7 using nothing but throttle adjustments as i mentioned. I didnt stay dry(you really cant in those conditions) but i didnt get beat up which is the most important thing.

Jim i ran to Advent cove after getting gas last Wednesday. The ride back was quite the experience. Very similar to what Mike is describing.
It was the first time being able to use the hot foot and wheel trim like you described. It made all the differance in the world.
Although, I did miss one swell and completely launched the Z8 clear out of the water, all i heard was the exhaust from the out board and my heart beat!
Landed soft and continued back into Moutlonboro.

I have a Z6 so even shorter than your Z7 and never had a jackplate either. I installed a 5" CMC manual only 3 days ago, purely because I had one and had nothing to lose.
The result was excellent, rides higher, smoother in chop because the boat is further back on the pad, planes out quicker, not on the plane any faster but quicker as soon as the bow drops. Absolutley no gain in top speed but at WOT and trimmed right out, it rides typical chop 100% better. I checked with Tracker about hull strength before fitting it and got the all clear.

I have been on the calamus and they were 4' and I could not go side ways with the waves had to go straight into them. all was good till I caught a few oddly spaced and had one come right over the bow soaked the boat. not fun Im careful about getting on in high winds now. I am happy we got the pontoon now the bennington handles the waves awesome 3-4' no problem so thats the walleye boat in bad weather and when the family is will me.

Latest posts

Back