Rod Straps on New Nitros

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I was discussing the upcoming purchase of a new Z-7 with a friend today and he mentioned having to add the Boat Buckle rod straps to his new boat. I questioned why he was adding the retractable kind when the old school rubber bungees that are on my 591 work just fine. He pointed out to me that the Z-7 doesn't come with rod straps nor are they optional. Whaaaaaaaat? I couldn't believe it. I looked in the '07 and '08 Nitro brochure and on the Nitro website and sure 'nuff they are not shown. The strap for the co-angler rod holder is shown with the familiar old rubber strap but nothing on the front deck. All the Trackers are shown with them but not one Nitro... not even the older models like the 901, 898, and 750 don't have them.

Is this some new fashion trend or just another cost cutting measure from Nitro?

Harpo, i just noticed that too. I dont know if its a cost savings deal by nitro or not but i dont see them come standard on a lot of brands.

Like you i kinda find it strange they dont have them anymore after having them standard all these years.

My take.

Rod straps/tie downs are one of those 'personal things' that many people have very definitive views on. Most have one brand/style that they very much prefer to use, and don't want something else. In short, there is a 'brand/style that each has confidence in' - so that your rods don't go into the deep.

Also, in many cases it is an 'add on' that the dealer can offer (and offer different styles/brands), that become cash in pocket for the dealers.

Tex

Just an FYI. Rod straps come with each boat in the Z series. Nitro started leaving them off the boat so that the customer and dealer could come to an arrangement on if and where they should be located. So instead of being mounted to the deck they are located in the rigging packet.

Thanks for clearing that up Petty, I have noticed that at my shows. You would be suprized at how many opinions there are on the 2 main styles. I don't count the Rod Saver strap style, I am looking at the bungies vs the Rod Buckle retractables. I don't like the strap style. It takes longer to stow rods and once the velcro wears out they are done. It looks to me like there wouldn't be enough room on the gunnel on the new Z9's for the retractable ones.....Those are my favorites. The bungie style put a lot of pressure on your front lids and if you don't lock them running in rough water the bungies will actually pull them open. And for some reason in my 929, it creates a "vortex" that I've seen lift full soft-sided tackle boxes out of the boat. I never have been one for locking my lids down.

TOXIC

They came with my Z9, just not installed, I asked and was told the same thing. I have not had a problem with the rubber bungee cords yet but I know some are not happy with them.

I also don't see where they could install the retractable kind on the z9, just not enough gunwall. But thats a trade off I'll accept gladly.

I've always had the rubber bungie type. Never a problem, really liked them.

one of my rubber bungies broke, i installed retractables......

I like the bungee type and even installed them across the rear deck for when I am fishing alone and have a dozen rods and reels set up with various setups so I don't have to stop and pull something from the rod locker. Always have a least 6-8 on the front and more on the passenger side and then on the rear deck. I may be nuts but I know I can get to what I want quickly. Tough for the rear seater if I don't move them! LOL

I use the Rod Saver bungee style. I will be adding two more on the rear deck for the net...

Interesting FYI, Petty. I would think that Nitro would at least mention them in the brochure that they are available.

When I bought my 591, one of the first things I wanted to do was replace the rubber bungee strap with the Rod Buckle retractable straps. My salesman, who is also a tournament fisherman, talked me out of them. He said he had trouble with them coming loose and the lost a rod or two as a result. I took his word for it and stuck with the old school kind.

The original retractable tie downs had problems coming loose. They added a couple of stops to the part that attaches to the deck to prevent the problem. It works. I just dont like all the holes in the gunwale of the boat. Plus the rubber ones seem to hold them tighter to the deck.

The only thing I dont like is the tie down part on the deck, I am constantly stepping on it.

I knew a fella that ran elastic bungee cord all the way across his deck, it seemed to work for him. He had small brackets that held the cord down in the usual places....

I agree with Mini on the rodbuckles. I installed a pair of them on my 882 a number of years ago and i dont think i will do them again. Like Mini mentioned they dont hold the rods very tight. On more then one occasion when underway i had to grab rods that slipped right under the rod buckle while under way. The more rods i had on deck the better they seemed to work but i hardly ever have more then 3 or 4 out at any given time. I got into the habit of always stowing the rods before any run if the water was even remotely bumpy. Calm water they were fine.

When i get my new boat this spring i think im going to try the TH marine ones. im undecided if i want the standard deck mount or the gunwale mount ones. The gunwale mount ones look like they may work much better then the rod buckles to me.
http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=89

from Bill in VA, "Tough for the rear seater if I don't move them!"

Oh Geeeezzzz, Oh Man I'm so sorry Bill! That was MY rod I stepped on wasn't it??? Oh, it wasn't? What kind of Loomis was it? Bill, BILL!!! It's illegal to throw someone out of your boat! Especially a beat up old cripple in 35 feet! What do you mean they'll never find me? Ok, I'm sorry, GeezyPeezy, I juswjabygdtkk wanted yclteerto to glub, glub, glub.......:wacko::blink::huh:

Uncle Billy (Hey, then there could be an Uncle Billy Memorial get together:rolleyes:)

Ps: with all of those rods rigged and ready to go, did you forget to mention the downriggers???:p

Uncle Billy - No downriggers! Just rod holders with the planer boards attached. And for you I would go to a least 50 feet. And what do you mean you want the seat put back on in the back deck. How am I gonna get my rods and reels without hitting the seat let alone knocking you off in the water. LOL

Jim,

Those TH gunwale mount straps remind me of what was on a friends Skeeter that I fished on last year. I assumed they were standard equipment Skeeter. Just a real stout Nylon cord with a metal hook and a small metal loop on the deck. I really liked them. The take up spool had a real strong spring that held the rods down nice and tight. I've come to like the black rubber ones that came on my Nitro okay, but if I ever change I'm going to check these ones out.

I'm not real happy with the location of the straps are on my boat. They're about 5 or 6 inches forward of the rod lockers. That's about standard I guess but I'd rather have them further back with the loop on the rod locker lid. That way you could (carefully) open the lid with rods strapped to it and not have to worry about knocking one overboard.

One thing that I've found that helps keep the rods secure is to make sure they are arranged with the reels toward the bow.

Reels towards the bow is the standard approach. Alot of people around here are switching that idea and putting the reels toward the consoles in rough water. Some have two sets of hold downs, one for the reels one for the tips. It makes a difference in teh rough stuff.

Ace4U, got rod tie down's online, i am thinking boater's world maybe..

here is a pic of my handy work, these rods will NOT leave the boat in

rough water!!

DSCN0394.jpg

They super rod straps are listed in the back of the nitro catalog as standard equipment, but they are not shwon in the pics.

I had to look, as I just ordered my Z-7, and didn't realize they weren't in the pics.

Mine came unmounted.....so I can put them where I want them.

Latest posts

Back