Rod question...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I have an old Berkley Series One Rod that was givin' to me by a pro years ago and that is the lightest rod that I've owned but, the reel seat is broken. Can I get the reel seat replaced without destroying the rod or costing more than it's worth? (To me it's worth more)

I'd pay up to $50 to get this thing fixed because it will work nicely with my Carbonlite reel:cool:

BTW...I found a neat trick last nite for cleaning up an old oxidized rod and making it look new again. Chrome Polish works great and slicks it right back up;)

TEE, Triton Glenn had done a lot of rod work, wait for him to chime in. I think he and I talked about this when he still lived here and the verdict was that you have to either remove all the guides and re attach or cut the handle...something like that and that it wasn't really cost effective.

TOXIC

I had something like this done and they replaced the entire handle. Was an old fiberglass rod that I loved until the reel seat broke. Worked well.

I'm sure Tritonglenn will have some input.

Tee,

What exactly broke on the reel seat? If its just the hood, that's an easy fix. If the actual seat is broken completely - that's a harder fix. It can be done, but it is not a quick fix. Takes time and patience to do it right, and you do have some risk of damaging the rod - either during the repair, or during shipping if you send it out. The proper way to do it is to strip off all guides that won't fit through a new reel seat interior or front grip interior (which usually means "all of them", cut the handle off slowly and carefully with a dremel, and then install a new reel seat, foregrip and reattach the guides.

If you are not in a rush for it, and hold me totally out of responsibility should something happen to your favorite rod, I'll do the work for free. You pay shipping and parts. Let me know if you would like me to repair it for you. Could be a really interesting post - I can do a "how to repair a broken reel seat" build-along. Basically, you are looking at a complete rebuild. If it were my favorite rod, I'd rebuild it.

Edited to add - if you haven't shipped a rod residential to residential address lately, you might be in for a shock. It got so expensive, I stopped selling rods that I had to ship.

All the best,

Glenn

It's not the whole reel seat...just the back corner of the top where the foot of the reel fits into the back part (top) of the seat on the rod. I tried taping it on but, that didn't really work out.

Glenn..it has the split grip on the butt, will that make a difference?

I really would like to get it fixed cuz I've tried alot of newer rods and none are as light and strong as this one without spending $300.

I'd be interested in a tutorial;)

Until you find out chrome polish eats away the rod material ... :wacko::wacko:.

Can you post a pic so we can spitball redneck fixes?

Could you send me a picture to my email?

Unfortunately, the split grip makes no difference. I know people who would attempt to repair it from the rear by just stripping all the grip parts off. Problem is the rod tapers to the butt. To get cork back over the rear section after the seat is fixed, the cork has to be ground out to the outside diameter of the largest part, which means it will fit loose on the blank. They will then use extra glue or some type of material to build up the area, etc, etc, etc... Point being - its not the right way to do it and will eventually result in a handle coming loose or cracking. Best to do it from the tip and work down, vice the other way.

All the best,

Glenn

Polish is polish Marty and no it won't eat away the rod:wacko:

I see the problem Glenn. Any way to build some type of resin/epoxy on the corner? I don't have any way to send pics but, it sounds like it may not be worth it...I dunno:unsure:

:( on the no pics. There must be a way; we put a man on the moon set in Hollywood for gosh sakes. Ideas crossing my mind tend to include altering the manufactured integrity of the lower end, which is probably not in the cards. [deleted thought as I believe I had incorrect mental picture of the seat in question] You may want to try and find an old one that you can strip the cork off to just see how much taper there is. Stuff I farted around with had minimal taper.

Guess I'll get my old veniers out and check it;)

Marty..I used to be able to post pics from my work PC but, got spanked for that.

I've thought about getting a laptop for home but, everytime I think I do want one...I get so frustrated after working 8 hours in finance on a PC and I say, "No way in hell"!:lol:

Latest posts

Back