Rod Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Stinson

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone! I don't imagine that too many of us are online today, but I have a question about graphite rods. I am looking for a sensitive rod for light tackle and drop shooting. When I look at graphite rods I see M6, M7, M8. Are you looking for a higher number for more sensitivity? Is there another material that would be more sensitive than graphite? Thanks

BPS Pro Qualifier spinning rod in Med Light is an excellent rod....you can catch them for 69 bux on sale, normally 119.

You got it Steve. The IM8 is what you want. I would recommend a 6'6" or 7' in med action, with some 6 or 8 lb Berkely Sensation line. You will feel everything. I don't drop shot a lot, but I do a lot of finesse fishng for smallies, and this is the best for a tough finicky bite. The pro qualifiers are great rods. I got one as a combo last year, but unfortuantely it became a casualty. If their on sale, snag one. Often, you can get one free with an XPS reel purchase. Great value for the $$$

In the BPS catalog the Pro Qualifier says it uses HM-85, Is that the same as IM or is something different?

Also, have any of you used the weight balance kits for these rods?

I haven't but I checked out Mac's Johnny Morris set up last year with the balance kit on it. Feels awesome!

The weight balancer's may be the greatest thing since sliced bread (what'd they do before sliced bread, eat it whole??)

The PQ's are the only rods I know of utilizing the threaded weights. This is an awesome system. However, I don't own any PQ's (almost all Falcons and some AllStars). My cranking rods, though, are fitted with the slipover boot/weight kit and this makes all the difference in the world.

IM-8 is the material; It can be made in differing densities.

Bionic Blades are 45 million modulus IM-8;

XPS Extremes are 54 million modulus IM-8;

Pro Qualifiers are 85 million modulus, the most dense IM-8 used in BPS rods.

I haven't tried the Pro Qualifiers - but the Extremes are much more sensitive and much lighter than the Bionic Blades.

me!

PQ's are similar to EXT's but with a higher modulus(increased strength and sensitivity) and better wall build on blank (lighter with durability). BPS balance kits will work on Bionic Blades up, including some of the specialty rods. They are the best for the buck! IMHO

Scott

I did try the Pro Qualifer and liked the rod but wasn't all that on the PQ baitcaster reel. I bought it for flipping and thought I could use a reel with a little freer spool, so I exchanged it for the Curado SF/7'6"Extreme combo. I love those BPS combo prices. I do beleive the PQ rod is slighter more sensitive but not that much. I use the setup for worms and jigs mostly and sometimes wonder if I ought to really step up to an All Star Titaninum of maybe even a Loomis. As ham handed as I as I need to feel every little thing.

My question is how important is sensititivy on a spinnerbait or crankbait rod. Why would one need to spend 100's of $$ on a high graphite rod for those types of baits?

Harpo

IM and HM ratings are one of the biggest misnomers in the fishing rod industry. I do understand that an educated consumer prefers to have monikers attached to certain aspects of performance, construction, etc. From what I have learned, is that the numbers that have been posted above are not a standard on which comparisons should be made. The numbers described, can and are, skewed by the inaccurate methods for "counting" and measuring. That is why All Star does not apply these ratings other than our IM10X Series. That series was established prior to the realization that the IM and HM ratings are pretty much created at will by other manufacturers.

The weight balance system is nice on the BPS rods. But you do have to remember that adding weight is still adding weight. The rod will be heavier by the end of the day. There are other systems you can use to balance your own non BPS rods. The Balancer is one, shrink wrap is another.

Need a drop shot rod? Take a look at the new drop shot action from All Star. I saw Skeet Reese at a show last year and he asked me to sell him any Titaniums I had in my possesion, which was unfortunately zero.

As far as spending money on a crankbait rod or a spinner bait rod....you still get what you pay for in most instances, at least to a point. Should you spend 300 dollars on a rod? I wouldnt and dont, never have nor do I think I ever will. There are rods that are just as good that cost much less, but they may weigh more, have the wrong size handle for my hand, etc. Personally, when you step up to a major quality rod manufacturer and feel the differnce when fishing with a quality product, you will see it is money well spent. (same argument for Lucky Craft) BUT if you dont have it, you dont have it. You can get away with rods that are inexpensive snd suited for all around use. I still have a few that I keep for emergencies and sentimental reasons. It just so happens that All Star makes rods in different price catagories so almost EVERYONE can have great American Rod with a lIFETIME waranty.

Enough of the commercial.

Mini

good commercial mini. i love my falcon and all star rods. the best a warranty can be and made in the usa (oklahoma & texas). specs are specs but a fishin rod just plain has to feel good out on the water. they all feel good in the store

jd

All the balancing in the world is shot to heck once you put a lure out on the end.

which actually begs the question...

What is the proper "balance" of a rod?

For me, it is being able to hold the rod "relatively" horizontol to the floor by a finger directly in front of where the line leave the reel.

This is, of course, without any kind of lure/bait.

Mini, please post some details on the drop shot rod you speak of. Would it be good for a grub rod as well? I(we) are currently using loomis GL2 722 Spinning(6' 2 power) rods for this pourpose, but upgrading that and my senko rods is my next challenge.

I already have my new crankin' sticks ordered, went with the S-Glass stuff from Brad Tharpe (Everything Bass), 1 becuase I like the spiral wrap on my baitcasters, and 2 based on the numerous reviews that i have read.

Scott!! The Horror!!! You couldn't be MORE WRONG in that last statement of yours!! That's the whole idea behind the balancer,..to eliminate the weight on the end of the rod including the bait!!! That's why they include all the various size weights in the package,..so you can fine tune the rod to a specific bait or presentation!! Put an unbalanced rod in your hand with a bait tied on, and it'll be tip heavy as you'd expect,...but put a balanced rod in your hand WITH the bait tied on, and it'll literally float!!! It's ablsolutely the ONLY way to fish a worm or a jig/pig....a perfectly balanced rod that either floats level or drops slightly will be MUCH more sensative and you'll feel EVERYTHING,.....I flat out gaurantee you, that if you fish a finese type bait with a balanced rod you'll feel 2-3 times as much structure or cover as you normally would,....you'll gain much more confidence in those baits as a result, and you'll catch more fish too!! A properly balanced rod is worth it's weight in gold!! and those balancer kits with the screw in caps will fit all the PQ and JLM titanium rods as well as the Bionic blade rods. The rods that don't have the removeable butt caps, can use the push-on balancer.....I've used both, but i prefer the screw in types that BPS sells. They're smaller than the push-on balancers!! Get a balancer and use it!! You'll never fish a worm or a j/p again without one!!

Mac

All Star makes two different length/action combinations in the drop shot. A 762S 6'4" 2 power (1/32-1/8 oz, Fast, Ex-Light and a 844S 7' 4 power, 1/8-5/8, Mod-Fast, Med-Lt. Both actions are available in the Titanium Series (AST762S & AST844S) and the shorter (762S) is available in the IM10X Series (762S-IM10X).

The rod that Skeet and most other pros are interested in is the AST744S 7' Titanium. The 7' would be a great grub rod, its action is right between the 843 and 845 rods that I designed for tubes and grubs on the Great Lakes.

The drop shot rods should be available at Acadamy Sports.

Mini

You are absolutely right, Mac, when it comes to worm/jig/finess baits. I guess that's why I've always like ultra-light equipment - it's so much more responsive and sensative. Cranking is another matter entirely.

My apologies for putting you through so much trauma!

Mini,

I think the 762S would be more applicable to what we use that particular rod for, but in any event, what price are we looking at for the titanium?

mac - you are costing me money ;). now i have to go find a balancer for my rods. i'd put a concrete block on the end of the rod if it would would help me catch more bass! will this make my elbow quit hurting after pitching all day in the wind? if not, i'm going to have to find some of that blue stuff or learn to pitch with my left hand. i've been curious about the screw in weights as it makes some sense as to how the rod would feel in actual conditions.

jd

Scott,..apology accepted....the trauma has deffinetely subsided!! ahahahaa.....and YOU are right too, in that a balanced rod isn't really as necessary for crankbait and spinnerbaits as much as it is for the finesse stuff..:O)

JD,..trying to convince you to spend more money is my JOB!!...you should see/hear Mini and I on the tank at the stores!! LOL!!!...just kiddin'....our job is to help you catch more and bigger fish,....and as a result,...sometimes you just have to have better stuff to do that,....better rods and reels,..better baits,...and better techniques! It all comes at a "price", but the results and the smiles and the memories are worth every minute and every sore elbow!! (Albeit a properly balanced rod will eliminate a LOT of the pain,......for a price....ahahahahahhahah)...hope to see you at a BPS Classic sometime!! Buy a BPS rod and I'll customize it for you like no other rod on the market!! Your buddy's will slither with envy!!! Have a GREAT new year!!

Mac

oh and BTW JD, the rod customizing is FREE!!...No charge at all for anyone who buys a BPS rod!! How's THAT for easing the pain??..LOL

Mac

Titanium rods are $199.95 MSRP except for the Flippin Sticks....$249.95 for them. Travel Rods are a bit more. They should be price protected at every All Star dealer.

thanks mac! the elbow is feeling better already. i'm not real familiar with the "classic" other than it is a major sales event with some seminars (pardon my ignorance as i've only been into this bass fishing stuff for a yr now, and yes, it is addictive). is this like the superbowl of fishing shows? will you be at the classic in springfield? if so, i'll drove up there from okc and let you do a number on a bps extreme rod. i've been hearing good things about them. i've bit the bullet a little bit on the falcon (low riders) & all stars (classic) i have and have been really happy with them. i think i will try the balancer on them as i do use craws, tubes, & jigs a lot in the timber. thanks again. jd

James,...I'll be in springfield, march 22-23...don't know when I'll arrive yet, but it'll be in the morning anyway!

Just come up to the store and you'll find me,....last year i was right in front of the XPS display down where all the vendor's (factory reps) are set up,....Rick Clunn and Stacy King and I were all in the same area....it was too cool!!

Seeya then!!

Mac

Yeah, but St. Louis was cooler.....

He was only about 10 yeards away from Penny Berryman!

i'll plan on making the trip up to springfield and see you and scott then. look forward to it.

jd

Latest posts

Back