Rod Holder recommendations?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J B

Reaction score
I'm looking to add some rod holders to my TV-18. I want to mount 4 bases (2 in front, 2 in back). Rather than drilling into the gunwale, I would like to mount the bases directly to the deck surface. I'm concerned about the rod holder clearance from the deck surface to the top of gunwale.

So, given this setup what style/brand of rod holder would work best? I've looked at some like Attwood and Fish-On. Cabelas also has some nice looking ones. I want the adjustable kind for various rod angles. How can I best deal with clearance over the gunwale, and what would be the best way to mount the bases (screws or through-bolts)?

Jethro,

You might look at the quickdraw rod holders from cabelas. I believe you could easily mount these on the gunnels and have plenty of clearance. I mount several on my Pro Crappie 175 on the gunnels and they work great. If you are in the Dallas or Arlington, TX area, I could show the rod holder to you before you buy.

George

Thanks George. I'm in the Houston area, but thanks for the offer. I'm looking at them in Cabelas right now and they look nice. How did you mount the bases... flush, gunnel top, or gunnel side? I was thinking about mounting the bases to the deck instead and using an extension to clear the gunnel.

Jethro.

Get the Quickdraw...I love mine and they're the same price.

TEE

Ok, thanks TEE. So I'm now looking at the Quickdraw and Standard Cabelas holders. The Quickdraw does not have the locking ring, while the Standard does. Does this really matter? Also will either of these models hold both casting and spinning reels? I'm considering the flush mount bases, and this requires a 1-3/8" hole drilled into the gunnel. Any issues to look out for there?

I've never had a rod come out but, I don't usually like to keep them level either. I do a lot of drift fishin' at times and they are worth their weight in gold when a big fish slams it and you don't have to wrestle it to get it out of the rod holder. I have lost some fish on others but, not the quickdraws. Just pull straight back and it'll come right out like advertised.

Don't get me wrong...I have multiple rod holders(solid kind) on T bars where I can use a bunch of rods together at different depths for crappy also...but, prefer the quickdraws for driftin'.

BTW..they will hold straight handle baitcaster rods but, not pistol grip or others like BPS Power hump.

TEE

Thanks TEE, several of my rods are the power hump, so I'll need to consider that. Will the solid holders handle the power hump rods? You might have just saved me a lot of frustration if I could not fit my power hump rods.

Gentlemen -

I've always used the holders made by Roberts; they are available at WallyWorld for about $12. They are veyr similar to those offered by Cabela's - so much so that they may be manufactured by the same company but marketed under two names.

Be sure to get the more expensive/premium/pro version rather than the standard. The standard rod holders were not wide enough to accept the handles of some of my heavier rods such as those I use when catfishing.

me!

Thanks me!, I'll also check these out. Great points about some rod handles not fitting. I never even thought about that.

Jethro,

I also have a TV-18 and wanted exactly the same thing for the same reasons.

I love my RAM Mounts for my electronics and found that RAM also makes rod holders that come standard with a long extension for deck clearance.

portramrodflush.jpg

Marke, thats exactly what I'm talking about. Are you using wood screws into the deck, or is it bolted through? Also looks like this holder will handle the power hump rods too!

Thanks to everyone for the great info.

Latest posts

Back