Rod Building?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Bass

Reaction score
We've talked before about building our own lures but does anyone build their own rods? I am looking for a hobby over the lond ND winter months. I can never seem to find a reasonably prices rod that has all the stuff I would like. Wondering if anyone has any advice (books, directions, what to purchase, best place to purchase, etc) for a beginner.

Thanks!

Have you seen the commercials for mudhole.com they have kits for building your own rods, etc.

Thanks for the lead shelbydad I'll take a look.

I get most of my components from:

http://www.mudhole.com/

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building/

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Rod-Building-Supplies-C27.aspx

But there are many more out there that I occasionally order from for specialty stuff. Places like Shoff Tackle, Merrick Tackle, and even Cabelas from time to time.

Rod building can be an addictive hobby that can end up costing you more than you initially wanted to spend. I have never met anyone that got into rod building to save money. That just doesn't happen.

Start easy. Janns has a good introductory chart to go by when picking components. It's only a baseline, and I'm sure you will venture out on your own after the first couple, but this is a good chart:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/RodBuildingTips.htm

You can buy a cheap rod jig, like the hand wrapping jigs from Barlows, Janns and Mudhole, or you can build one from wood in about a half hour. If you can cut a plank into three pieces, use one for the bottom, and two on each end as "uprights", with a V shaped cut into the top of each of the uprights, you have a rod wrapping jig. You can use a spring loaded thread tensioner (very inexpensive part), or you can just use a book. (I'll explain in a minute).

My very first rod wrapping jig was a cardboard box. It was about two feet long and a foot wide. I cut two v shaped notches in the ends and put the rod on it. I took a book and put my thread through it, and ran it up to the rod blank, leaving the thread spool loose in a bowl beside the book. To adjust the thread tension, put the thread lower into the book - top pages for light tension, bottom pages for heavy tension. Total cost - nothing. I had the box, book and bowl laying around. Cheap jig. I can make another one in a few seconds and mail you a picture if you need me to.

I recommend using Gudebrod NCP thread, as it doesn't need color preserver. Saves a step. Not needed, but highly recommended. It's all I've used for years. Size A is thinner, and gives a smooth finish, but it is much harder to work with. Size C is thicker and easier to work with, giving a fairly smooth finish and more strength. Size D is even thicker. My preference is C and I use A to do "finish wraps" like the metallic gold or silver at the end of another color.

Plenty of videos online to show you how to do the wraps, etc... I planned to do a full write up on how to build a rod, but I simply don't have time right now. Maybe during Christmas break - with plenty of pictures.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, thanks for the great info! I'll let you know if a pic would be helpful after I do some more review/research. This could be fun for my son and I. Thanks again!

NDBass,

No problem. Some other favorites that I'd suggest are below. These are just "standards" that I use all the time. Not the fanciest, but "tried and true" for a very long time.

Fuji reel seats - favorite is a TCS in size 17

Flexcoat Lite rod finish - It just works. Goes on to seal the threads well and lasts.

U-40 Rod Bond - For attaching cork handles and reel seats - best I've ever used.

Fuji Guide sets - For ease of ordering, good quality (good = low cost, but work well) Fuji low profile guide set that will work on most any 6' to 7' foot rod - I like the BLNAG-129 set. If I want a much better guide set that will also work with the aforementioned 6' to 7' rods, I'll bump it up to a SIC set and go with LNSG-129. Much better casting, but at an increased cost. (over double the price) If you order them from Mudhole, and you are putting them on a longer rod (7'6" and above), you can click on the set to see what individual guides are in the set, and then just order one or two more, depending on the rod length. I usually add another size 8 guide like the one in each of those kits if I'm going with a flipping stick.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Fuji-Guide-Kits

Hope you don't mind component suggestions.

All the best,

Glenn

Perfect Glenn! I'm goingt to give it a go and see how things work out. I'll try to report back once I get my first under my belt. I appreciate all the detail/help!

If you get stuck, shoot me an email and I'll send you a phone number. I can either walk you through any problems, or send you pictures of specifics.

Remember to properly spline your rod blank before you start. It's the first step to building the perfect custom. Very easy to do, but often overlooked. If you don't know how, I had this post a while back to describe it:

http://www.nitroowners.com/msgboard9e.asp?boardname=msg&view=1085420&replycount=4&archive=1

This step is critical in building an excellent rod - no matter what kind of blank you use.

All the best,

Glenn

I wanted to do just this, and got 'into it'. I'm very much in line with the suggestions made above. If you are interested in some 'stuff', let me know and I'll make you a good deal on a bunch of items.

I can pull it out and assemble somewhat of an inventory if you want. It would certainly get you started in the right direction. It's just sitting there in boxes, and I'll let it go as if it was a fire sale.

Tex

Tex, that is awesome!

I am open to whatever you might have. I am going to try a few and see how it goes. Saving on equipment and my first test rods up front would be very welcome!

Email me what you have and how much.

Will do. It will probably take at least a few days, but I know that my wife would be glad to held categorize and sort through things. I'll send you some info as I gather it, over the next 3-5 days.

Tex

Latest posts

Back