Rod and Reel for Spinnerbaits???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Neeley

Reaction score
Due to my recent elbow surgery, I'm going to have to do a lot of side-arm roll-casting this year. I'm going to get a couple of rigs for pounding the banks with spinners and cranks. I'm thinking of an All-Star rod, 5'-6" pistol grip with a Shimano Curado 100 series, 6.3:1 gear ratio.

Any thoughts or comments on this set-up???

I've always been too chicken to use a pistol grip rod. I never feel like I can hang onto it. If they have you squeezing a rubber ball as part of your physical therapy routine, the pistol grip may be great. I also like a bit longer rod, but with roll casting, the shorter length may be better. I use a 6-foot Loomis IMX CR721 that will roll cast very well. It's not a pistol grip, but the handle length is a bit shorter than most.

I like the Curado reel! My brother-in-law has one that he's let me use on occassion. My regular reel is the Team Diawa X.

Mark

Ken, I've got the exact combo you're talking about and I love it for throwing small spinnerbugs. The 6.3to1 ratio is a little fast for bigger bladed bugs, but for 1/4 to 3/8 oz baits it is a dream......Cmack

I think you'll find that the short rod will be great for short distance, precision roll casts. As mentioned the shorter rod will be great for getting up under overhangs and into tight areas. The downside is without the extra length you'll give up some ability to deal with those big smallies at the side of the boat.

with the pistol grip you will be able to keep your arm closer to your body while you cast. this should feel better on your elbow. stan.

I have been toying with the idea of a 5'6" rod for most of my spinnerbait duties myself. The curado reel is a great reel I have one myself. I also use a citaca reel and I have several Abu Garcia 4601-c3's, which are also very good tough reels. I like mine in left hand retrieve so I do not have to switch hands and can start the bait as soon as it touches the water in case a big one grabs it right then. As far as being able to fight the fish, Greg Hawk a fishing pro I saw at a Bassmaster University seminar uses 5'6" rods almost exclusively. he claims the longer the rod the more leverage the fish has over you in the fight.

Ken, I think roll casts with that short pistol grip

will definitely help the shoulder. I think most bass

fishermen have evolved away from this technique(always

something new coming down the proverbial pipe!)Used to

use it all the time. Easy to pitch a bait from any angle.

I've noticed Hank Parker fishes a Texas rig often this

way. Just might have to put it back into my arsenol this

season.(24 yrs of heavy construction aint too forgiving

on the ole elbows and shoulders,knowattameen!)Now if we

can only get Jimmy Houston to show us that little

whamba, jamba ,wristy,twisty flicker thang he does ,we'll

have it made!!! Have you checked out the BPS,XPS pro qualifers in the new sale flier? ($50) I've been using

them right along side the Curados & Calcuttas I own and I

love em. At this price I am going to buy a few more for

later(after they're discontinued.) I own the models that are on sale (PQ1000).They're pretty small, but fit my hands

perfectly. They're real smooth and still fish like new

after two years. Just a suggestion. See ya,Bill

Be careful Ken. You won't get the distance in your cast with under a 6'6" rod. You will have work harder with your arm to get the bait out there. I've never been in that situation, but I would think a light rod, med action, maybe 6'6" and slightly down scaled line would be easier on you, don't you think?

Neeley for Prez!

Thanx alot guys....I mostly fish with Curado 200's and 6-6 or 7' rods, so this will be a little adjustment. I just figured if I can roll-cast half the time, it will spare the elbow a bit.

Latest posts

Back