Rivets or Sheet Metal Screws?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Perry

Reaction score
I'm installing a couple of extra cleats on my TV-18. For those who have done this, do you think rivets or screws are better for the job? Anything in particular I should be considering?

screws in a size 14X 1" long stainless will work,but to make thm stronger and stay fastened better,#14x1' stainless machine screws with fender washers on the bottom side would be better.

The only problem with the fender washers is that you can't get to the underside of the screw with the design of the gunwale. Anyone know of any hardware other that a rivet that gives you some reinforcement in an unreachable area?

Gimme a "J"... Gimme an "A"... Gimme a "C"... Gimme a "K"... Gimme an "N"... Gimme a "U"... Gimme a "T"... and Gimme an "S"... What's that spell?... Jacknuts What's that spell...louder... JACKNUTS... (One of the oldest jokes here on this site...just do a search on Kacknuts... But, in all seriousness... Jacknuts might be what you need... See MoFish for a drawing! Just be sure YOUR Jacknuts are politically correct!

On my TV-18, I used self-tapping screws. I pre-drilled a small hole to get them started, but they went right in and hold great. I wouldn't use rivets.

(I have no idea how to measure screws, or I'd pull one out and give you the dimensions.)

J***N**ts? J***N**ts???? I have NO idea what you're talking about.

those jacknuts dont hold jack!

use nutserts like on the doors of the old ford pickups which hold the mirrors on.they would work,the screws would but wouldnt trust them for more than a year from pulling out.use a #14 screw might work.i had a set on my boat for a yr with screws into the aluminum.they held,but didnt trust them too much.

don't know if this is a good suggestion or not, but you might consider having them welded in. I think it takes a 'heliarc' type of welder. those cleats need to be in there good, especially when you are tied up in the wind.

jd

Did you say "JACKNUTS???!!!" No search required. I am quite familiar with the anarchy that can erupt at the mere mention of Jacknuts! Thanks guys for the tips...

Mo...

Screws can be measured by time, length and/or satisfactions....LOL

Latest posts

Back