Respooling reels (or backing for reels?) . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
As folks know from earlier postings, I'm definitely respooling more than ever - I've had to respool all four of my "high-use" reels multiple times this season - and I'm not a tournament fisherman!! Probably a good sign that I'm out fishing more. One thing I've noticed, however, is that as I spool my lines, there is a certain amount of line that never sees the light of day off of the reel - usually the first 100 yards or so. So rather than using line that will degrade through the entire spool, is there some more durable backing line or other material that would work for spooling the first 100 yards or so before topping off with quality line? I know this is done quite a bit for fly fishing rigs (having two of those for when I really don't want to catch fish!), but have never heard of this for spin and baitcasting reels.

I don't use backing for spinning reels... But, I do use 20# Shakespeare Supreme from Bulk spools (1000 yds) for baitcasters and trolling reels. The line is reasonably inexpensive and if I am "spooled" I don't worry... I join my main line to the backing using a double uni knot and superglue the knot! It gets a bit "kinky" if it is one for more than a year... but it doesn't degrade or break...

Never heard of the the line used as backing "degrading" the new line....I just peel off down to the knot to the backing line and re-tie/re-spool.

TOXIC

That inner 1/4 spool I always use as backer and never change. 15 years of guiding and tourney fishing and I've never had a problem with it.

That inner 1/4 spool I always use as backer and never change. 15 years of guiding and tourney fishing and I've never had a problem with it.

I use a similar size of Trilene Big Game (made for saltwater and it's tough) for the backing line. Use a good joining knot and test it, every now and then I stick a striper and they often get into the backing line. I'll change that backing 1/3 out every 2 or 3 yrs and have had no problems. I don't do this to my heavier saltwater spinning reels after a 25 lb king took me for a ride one day on a pier. I was really happy to get that knot back on the reel......

This is what I was told, make you longest cast, spool off another 20 yrds and tie on to the backing? As my cast got longer I was spooling off more backing, I don't worry about the backing just the knot. 11 days out of 10 the backing does not get wet or see much daylight. Thank you Greg.. When I used to respool once or twice a year I did it top to bottom until I was pointed it the right direction. Jim if you are just fishing for fun I would not worry about it. If it's frayed just cut off that part and go on until it gets low, then respool. I have gone 3 years with out replacing or even worrying about what the backing is. It is what was on the reel when I respooled. Trust me here, if Rob does not worry about the backing after 15 years on Champlain... You won't have any problems on the Potomac or your home lake.

BF

Latest posts

Back