Requiring info and opinions on seats, PLEASE!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a pedestal seat for the front of my boat. My legs absolutely kill after a long day of fishing and having to lean on one leg while controlloing the electric motor with the other.

I have the Springfield Spring-Lock type of base and was looking for input on what I should buy. I am currently leaning towards the taller (24"-36") adjustable height base with a bicycle-style butt seat and I will put the folding seat that I use now in the aft. I am also undecided about whether to get the pivoting seat base so that I could lean the seat down to make it more comfortable to use for leaning as opposed to sitting. Do any of you have any preferences to what brands or styles that you like? I have been looking at the Wise brand seats and they look pretty good.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

Take a look outside the box and consider switching your t/m to a hand control. You will always have 2 feet on the deck. Together with a good leaning seat, your going to feel better at the end of the day.

I love my minnkota CoPilot....It keeps me from having to contort my legs to stay in contact with the pedal and frees me to stand and/or move around a little.

Also try a recessed box for your trolling motor pedal! You basically keep your two feet flat but still control the boat.

Randy!

hmmmmmmmm.....ever wonder why, unless the water is extremely rough, the pro's don't even use a butt seat? I found out when I started guiding that my back was getting torched after a day on the water and Teddy told me it was because I used a butt seat. A butt seat puts you in the same position every time you hit the TM peddle. I took my butt seat/leaning pole out years ago and have very little back fatigue now. Think about it, with the pole out you are always stepping on the TM from a different angle and with both feet. You have to condition your back as well and that does take some time.

TOXIC

I agree with several of the above.

1) Don't install a butt seat.

2) Install a recessed mount for your current TM pedal.

and to add to the above...

3) Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a fatigue mat (the ones with the holes in it - made of rubber - about 1" thick with the little nubs on the bottom). The one I bought had 1' squares on the grid, and made it easy to cut out an area for my TM pedal. The holes in it allow it to drain should it get wet.

All the best,

Glenn

Im with Toxic, I rarely ever use the seat on the front unless its really rough. When i used to use it i would get back fatigue and some pain. Now that im so used to not having the seat up there i find it in the way whenever i do use it.

Im also not a big fan of the recessed TM wells. My z7 has one and its ok because its not too deep. A friend of mine installed one of the flatfoot ones and its way too deep. The pedal is totally flush with the floor and when you go extreme ends of the pedal travel the pedal is below the floor. Its not so bad when you go toe down but it is an issue for sure when the heel of the pedal is down because it goes below the level of the floor and its uncomfortable. He said the same thing and actually put a block of wood in there to raise the pedal up a bit.

When I was using the pedestal seat in the front I would just lean on it and after a few hours my back was killing me. I removed the seat and stand and no longer have back pains, I still get tired after standing for hours but it is all over and not just my back. I sit down, pour a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarett and I am good to go for another couple of hours. And I like the recessed hole for the trolling motor.

I think it really depends on what your back issues are. I fished for years not using any seat or leaning seat at all. My back couldn't take it anymore and I had to do something to keep fishing. So, for me anyway with all due respect to those proposing no seat, that wasn't the answer. I tried the short pedestal and seat (original equipment) and couldn't tolerate that either. The telescoping pedestal and leaning seat IS MY ANSWER! Made all the difference in the world for me.

Latest posts

Back