Requested Update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
How do I put a roller coaster of the last few months in a paragraph....

Started my new job in Tennessee November 1st. Lived in a hotel until Thanksgiving...That was for the birds!!! Hated it. Moved into my house on Percy Priest Lake (well, as close as you can get) over Thanksgiving. Got to the house with the Banana Boat and DUH...it was too wide for either of the single door garages. Measured length but not width. Lesson learned....boat currently in storage. 8 foot doors instead of 9. Need about 98 inches to fit and I have about 94 inches. Any suggestions on that dilema?

Closed on my house in Indy today and looking forward to the new year. I like Tennessee alot so far. I haven't had time to do much because I have been so busy traveling back and forth. I did keep my cabin in Southern Indiana for those inquiring minds. Have no plans to sell it. It was about 3.25 hours from here and 2.5 from Indy so not that much further.

I miss some of my friends as I lived in Indy all my life but I am making new friends here so I guess it's just a new chapter in the book of life. So far the job has been great. I figure that will wear off and then I will just get paid more to hate my job than I did when I was in Indy. Ha!

Many, many good restaraunts here. Alot more mom and pop shops than chain restaraunts. Opry Mills Mall is the bomb! The sales guy at Bass Pro already knows my name. It's about 10-15 minutes from my house. Oh my poor bank account. I will have a gold rewards card in no time.

The weather is much nicer here than Indy. I took my dogs out in shorts tonight (about 50 degrees). Much better than the 6 inches of snow that is hitting Indy tonight.

I was a guest of the Titans for the Monday Night football game against Kansas City. Sat in the Titans suite on the 50 yard line. That was the way to watch a game. Friends in high places pay off sometimes. Eat KFC!

Can't wait until the spring. I can walk my kayak down the trail to the lake. Several lakes within an hour or so. I am already planning all my weekend adventures in TN.

If you are ever in Nashville, look me up!

The End!

Mountain Man beat me to the suggestion... Might be an easy fix and might not be... A lot depends on the roof line... Be sure and get an "expert" opinion... Not just some remodeling contractor, unless he is also very knowledgeable about the "engineering" aspects of his trade...

Sounds like a great place... Maybe I

'll switch one of my client asssignments and come down there...LOL

Welcome back Teri and welcome to Tennessee. I work in Spring Hill but have a house in KY too so I pass through Nashville very often.

Gonna get real cold there over the wekend so you'll probably have to put long pants on your dogs! HAR!

Hutch

Livin' large in Dixie! Sounds like a nice life! Glad to hear all is going so well.

Too bad about the door Teri but it sounds like everything else is great.. You'll be a native before you know it.

Bill

I love the Nashville area and I get down there qite a bit. I love PP lake and Old Hickory. Of course you're not too far from Dale Hollow and on and on and on. Good place to be for fishing. The food is great there and the small places are some of the best. I had the same problem with a garage door and was able to make the door trim removeable and the boat just fit. Only drawback was that I had to walk the boat in by hand. But at least I could put it in garage and then put the trim back. You're lucky to be south today because the Indy Cincy Northern KY area is bracing for a snow storm. Stay worm and save a little money for you mortgage and gasoline. (Refrain from BPS Ha Ha) Glad you are enjoying the south.

Da Bear

Teri, welcome back! You might be able to get someone to cut out the additional space you need and get a bigger garage door. I looked at a house this weekend with a 4 car garage and it looks like I may have the same problem or just barely make it since they are all seperate 1 car garage doors. One of them is really deep (37 ft.) Will be able to keep my truck and boat hooked up in the garage. Just need to convince the wife we need to buy this house. Anyway, enjoy TN and the ability to fish all year round.

Teri,

Welcome back, and glad that you are settled. However, just wondering how tough it is to get the dog's to wear shorts. Seems this time of year they would prefer long pants!

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Tex

Sounds great Teri! I agree with the above posts, remove the center support and hang one door.

Rich D

I already thought of the single door but I don't know why type of person to call to come out and take a look. I asked my realtor and she didn't have a clue. Any suggestions on who I should look up and how to know I am getting someone that knows what they are doing?

Teri, Good to hear about your new adventures. Am I supposed to be putting pants on my dog?

I would get two diferent types of contractors to look at the door, call a garage door installer/tech. and also a framing type contractor, see if they come up with the same.

Agree with CJL for the most part.

Is your garage 'sheet rocked' in, or can you see the support beams? Does the garage have anything above it, like a second story?

I'm guessing that you can change to 'one door' instead of two, without much problem. Only thing about the garage door people is that you need someone who understands structural support to help make the call.

Tex

Good to hear you are adjusting well. I might be relocating to Nashville myself. Could also be Atlanta or Springfield depending on if I can land either of the jobs. All three will require alot of travel though (say some prayers for this broke yankee).

Will definately give you a shout if I get done that way Teri....I have always wanted to fish Priest.

Look long and hard at removing that pillar between the doors. More than likely it is there for structural support. You could also get an enclosure for your boat, although no ideal, it might be a btter alternative than ripping out the front of the garage.

Mini

Great news Teri!! Enjoy the South and all it's wonders! If you get to Atlanta, stop by and say howdy!

Mini - You get to Atlanta, you holler!! (The home of Monster Spotted Bass!)

Teri:

You might be able to find a set of your house plans if you know the original builder. The plans would show the structural layout of the garage and inform you of the column layout.

Also, a structural engineer can make a recommendation of the size of header that would be needed to span the two openings to create single one. Might be costly to do the entire project. Mini probably has the best idea, build a boat house.

Da Bear

Mini - you make it down to Atlanta and i'll even let you drive the S.S. Daddy!!!! WOO HOO!!!

Tell him to drive slowly, gonna be wet till Thurs night, and Friday only gonna be a high of 42, WAY too cold to fish!!! LOL Supposed to be mid-40s on Sunday MIGHT venture out then!!!

Dan if I get to Atlanta you KNOW I will be calling. You, me and Norman and BIG SPOTS!

Trep you bet well hook up....Ill drive anything as long as it floats...lol

Mini

40 to cold, Heck thats great weather here......Today you need an Ice Auger to get to the fish..Plus a snow shovel..Jr

Heck KB you going to Tenn and fix It????? Come by here and fix mine to will ya ??????????? My boats are way to wide for mine also..I had a car port built and It's to short..No respect, I just get no respect!!!!!! Buy 2 boats and now It's to short and to narrow...... No respect....JR

Pictures Please? Have you had dinner at the Stock Yard yet??? Great place, it's just across the river from Titian Stadium.

BF

Teri,

Welcome to Middle tennessee. I live in Murfreesboro on the south side of Percy Priest.Email me or give me a call if you need any info on the area or lakes. Glad to have you here and on the board again.

Dr. Tom

Latest posts

Back