Replacing Water pump - do it myself or not?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothy Hanford

Reaction score
I need to replace my water pump on my 1995 25 HP Merc as my motor only "pees" now and then. I've checked teh water line and it's not clogged. I found a new water pump online for around 69 bucks. I have a blown up diagram of all parts/locations of parts. I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

My question is whether I should attempt to do this repair myself or just take it to a shop so I know it is done right and would come with some sort of warranty. Any thoughts?

Let us know how it goes if you do it. Mine is New, but I have a few outboards in the family I would like to do myself if its easy.

if its as easy as my evinrude,it shouldnt take more than 2-3 hrs.

disconnect the shift linkage,remove the lower unit bolts,pull the lower unit off,there should be a plate covering the pump,remove it and remove the impeller,replace it like the old one came out.then reverse the procedure to reinstall.

not quite sure on a mrec,but there should be a pin or a clip on the arm to disconnect it.look under the motor for a rod going down to the lower unit.

Thanks for the tips. Someone on the BFHP mentioned that teh water might not come out in a steady stream if teh water is cold or at idle. He mentioned this being controlled by the thermostat. Is this possible? Maybe nothing is wrong at all then?

Remove the starter and you will see the linkage in the bottom of the cowl... it's just a clip with a rod through it holding shift linkage, its a easy task... however... 69 bucks for a water sounds a little outragious....

I found a diagram of my motor online and it does have a thermostat. I will change the impeller just as a maintenance item but I think it's ok.

Latest posts

Back