Replacing engine remote control

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Cooke

Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace a remote control unit? I have a side mount Quicksilver 3000 unit that the nuetral button has failed. Is there alot of tedius cable adjustments etc. I am trying to determine if it is a DIY project or if I should take it to the dealer. Also, should I upgrade to an improved unit while I'm at it? All information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would consider it a DIY project. You should be able to open up it and see what is the problem. Just pay particular attention to when you open it up, if any dentent roll pins, springs, cams come apart, etc.

Once you open it up, you should be able to see where the control cables attach to the cams, and undo them. If you find something internal is worn out, you might be able to find a used part, or maybe a replacement part instead of buying a whole new unit.

To step up to a higher quality unit, you night have to change cables, adapters, etc. I would go back with the same unit and let it be.

Forgot to mention.

You should not have to adjust cables by going back with the same unit. That is why I would open it up and find the defective part and replace it, rather than putting on a new box.

Is the control serviceable? In other words are the internal parts available to purchase from Mercury? It sure would be alot cheaper than replacing the whole unit. And, I agree with you about staying with the same unit. I'll just pay close attention to detail and position of the cables. Thanks!

I have to say there is, because I found one of the inside cams available thru www.theshadconnection.com

If not try and find a used unit, and rob the parts. But you might have to purchase a new unit to get a part from it.

Mercury makes a remote component replacement kit. The part # is 856678A 3 and cost $85.85 (opposed to $260.00 for a whole new unit). I have a few in stock, so if you can't find it locally give me a call (248-333-0997) and I can ship one to you.

Craig

Latest posts

Back