Removing Oil Injection

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Marshall

Reaction score
I have an '89 Merc 45HP (CLassic Fifty model) and I want to remove the oil injection and mix it myself. I just don't trust it, have heard the older units can break your heart. I'm 99% sure it's a 50:1 ratio. Am I right?

Thanks for any info

Bob,

Do you recommend that for the newer engines also? In particular, a 2001 XR-6.

Thanks,

Russ

Bob,

Years ago I had a 150 and disabled the oil injection because of reported unreliability. I also heard that later ones also had problems with a nylon or plastic oil pump shaft failing. I assumed those problems have been corrected by now, at least I hope so because I'm running with the oil injection on my current XR-6. I also ran a Yamaha 200 for 5 years with never a problem with the oil injection.

I really believe you know what you're talking about, so if you recommend, I would disable the oil injection at the end of the warranty period.

Thanks,

Russ

Sorry to hear that. You'd think by now Merc would have a better system. Maybe it's designed to fail right after the warranty period LOL.

Russ

Bob,

I just picked up our new Tournament V18 with a 2002 150 XR6 from Bass Pro on Saturday. How do you go about removing the oil injector? I've had many of my boat-owning friends tell me to do this to avoid a big headache later.

Mark
http://www.geocities.com/hofmanmd/ourboat.htm

Bob:

Just so I'm clear, all I need to do to bypass my older Autoblend unit is get a longer section of fuel line to go from the tank to the primer bulb, and cut and tape off the

electrical leads. Also, you recommend Quicksilver oil, right?

Mark, after you break in that Motor I am darn curious how fast that rig is.. please tell us!!

Bob:

In response to your question, "Why?", my wife asked me the same thing last night when I told her what I was thinking of doing. The friends I have who own "big" motors with oil injectors are convinced that they are nothing but trouble. One guy had his motor rebuilt twice before he finally disconnected his. Another guy bought a walleye boat with an 89 Mercury and disconnecting the oil injection was the first thing he did. He straight mixes oil when he fills his gas tank and loves not having to think about oil until he fills up again.

Scott, I won't be able to get it on the water until after November 20. I will post the top-end speed with it loaded and carrying two people. The standard prop won't give it the best top-end speed, and (of course) the lake conditions will have an impact too, I imagine.

I'm really curious how others feel about this issue - especially if you are a mechanic, dealer or Mercury Marine employee.

Mark

Pic00001.jpg

I believe Bob, and will probably modify mine to remove the oil injection, but not till after the warranty period.

Russ

Mark,

Iwould not remove oil injection pump, as Bob stated the amount of failures is minimal. I am a mercury mechanic and have seen very little problems with oil injection. Also if you notice Bob's note 9,000 rpm he's in a whole other world as compared to the casual fisherman.

Latest posts

Back