Reels & Line for tournament setup

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I am getting ready to restring my reels and I am trying to keep tournaments in mind. I have 3 or 4 nice bast casters and 2 or 3 nice spinning reels. If I am going to take about 6 rods and reels with me to cover any type of fishing as a coangler, what should I string each reel with to cover all types of fishing?

I usually use PLine flurocarbon 8, 10 & 12lbs. I know I need to have heavier line on at least one or two. What should line should I use and for what purpose? I have trouble with line twist and light line on my spinning reels. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Teri, it's a reel not a bow, you are re-spooling..LOL. You may want to try some 6# test for pressured bass, also for heavier line I would suggest some braided line like Power Pro, or the new Crystal by Berkley. You may also want to spool a reel or two with mono as some applications of fishing require that the line gives a little on the initial strike of the bass.

Buzz

Teri,

I would spool up one or both baitcasters with 14# Smoke Fireline... Casting cranks, carolina rigging, running a jig and pig... Carry a spool of Flourocarbon 8-10lb for "leader", learn to tie a uni to uni for joining the two (carry fishing glue)... One spinning reel with 8Lb Crystal fireline for casting under docks with a senko, etc... One spinning reel with 8lb mono ( I like Suffix Elite clear ) and the last spinning rel with 6lb mono (that light I like Trilene XL). Just my two cents....

Teri - stick with what you are comfortable with for the most part, unless the situation ABSOLUTELY dictates something else, like fishing heavy pads... I throw PLine the majority of the time myself, with two exceptions, I prefer trilene XL or XT for cranks and use a 50lb. braid for the heavy work...

David

You might want to try another brand of mono or co-polymer line. Gamma line has less memory and is very strong too. You'll get longer cast because of the less memory. Just my own experience with both lines.

Dont plan on that line lasting you the entire year teri. Spool up with what you use locally prior to the first tournament. When you get to the first tourney, re-spool after your first practice day. You wont have to re-spool everynight (like alot of pros do), but you will be able to match your line to what is needed and have it last the entire tournament. Make sure you peel off a cast worth everynight of competition so you are starting with fresh stuff each day.

I assume you're talking about Hickory and Priest. To cover the basics I would say a couple spinning rods with 8# line (light T-rig, Shakey head, wacky worm) and baitcasters with 10# (finesse jig, light T-rig, Senko, topwater), 14# (heavy T-rig, small spinnerbait), 20# (spinnerbait, swimbait, carolina rig).

To bring in Tournaments as a Co, I would try to limit it to:

spinning 8#

casting 10#

casting 14#

one seasonal choice (late spring topwater, summer carolina rig, early spring spinnerbait)

and if you feel you need it - spinning 8#/casting 10# (whichever is more comfortable)

five rods is plenty and at times to much, I've had Co's bring six or seven rods and spend most of the day untangling or changing presentations (they usaully don't do very good). The co's I've had do well bring 3 to 5 rods and usually only use 2 or 3 of them.

A small T-rig/shakey head, a wacky worm/senko, and something seasonal all fished properly and you will get a check in most of the tournaments you fish from the back. If you are doing the BFL it will only take 2 or 3 keepers. Keep it simple and keep a bait in the water.

Just read you were looking at the Women's tour, different lakes, but the tackle will remain basically the same. Make a shift toward heavier tackle for the shallower, muddier lakes.

You guys are awesome. I have alot of the suggested baits. Maybe I made my list too simple but there are some I don't have. I also went back thru old posts and got alot of good info. Man, BPS is going to be happy to see me in the next week or two. I already spent $143 last night. Ugh!:p

Latest posts

Back