Reel Handle Replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever replaced a handle on a rod? I have a couple of old favorites that need handles but I have never done anything like that before. I would hate to turn a 7 foot crankbait special into an ice fishing rod. Does anyone besides Cabela's sell replacements? Thanks.

Da Bear

Da Bear,

I make custom rods and do rod repair. Its pretty involved because you have to remove all the guides and the fore cork or foam grip and then remove and replace the handle. Then put on a new fore grip and rewrap all the guides. To be honest its not very hard and it makes a good winter project. I my rod stuff from Janns Netcraft. If you consider doing this I'd be more than glad to give your there number or give you any advice or help onm how to do this.

Rob L

Glad you guys are smart enough to realize that I meant "rod handle replacement."

Pauly: thanks for the info.

Rob: is there a way to leave the reel seat and just put a new cork handle on or would I still have to do all of the other stuff mentioned in your post.

Da Bear

Not that I know of. Cork can be a pain to put you some times you have to ream it out and you definately need to let it soak in hot water and pour the epoxy in the cork to make it slide down the blank to get a nice tight fit.

Rob L

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what I'll do yet but if I try replacing the handles I'll let you know.

Da Bear

Bear -

Take a look at some of the "foam" handles offered...... It may not have the same feel as cork, but it is a bit easier to work with. And, for those of us above the Mason-Dixon line, I find it a bit easier to hold securely when fishing on cold days.

me!

P.S.

There is a store here in St. Louis called Feathercraft. They started as just a mail order house for such items, but the business got so big the owner had to quit his day job! (Don't we all wish!) They still do a huge mail order business. They may have an 800#, but their local number is 314-963-7876. These people really know their stuff!

me!

Latest posts

Back