Re - Spooling:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
O.K. I want to respool my reels as it serves two purposes, 1st it gives me a winter project relating to fishing, and 2nd it allows me to clean all my equipment.. Being last year was my first year bass fishing I tried lines that the store clerk would sugggest. I'm now asking the seasoned pros of this web site for suggestions. I have two baitcasting reels that I will use for pitching/flipping, and four baitcasting reels for jerkbaits/spinners/rat-l-traps/etc., and two spinning reels.. I was thinking of 20 to 25# test for the pitching/flipping rigs and 8-12# test for the others. Does this sound right and who makes a top quality line? Thanks...

i personally like berkley xt 20 & 14 lb. i also like berkley big game when i can find it. i don't always use green on my jig rods because sometimes you need to see the tiny twitches in the line so i need high visability. this brand has been working for me the last 8 or 9 years. there are other lines that as good but berkley has always worked very good for me. you should buy the biggest spool you can afford and keep away from light when not in use. stan

My personal choice for a good all around line is Silver Thread AN-40 in 12# or 14#. Comes in clear or low-vis green. For pitching, P-Line in 15# or 20#. For flipping, BigGame in 20# or 25#. For crankbaits/jerkbaits, Stren Megathin in 10# or 12# Low-vis green.

Russ

I use Big Game for all my bait casters. 8#-10# for cranks/ripbaits. 12#-15# t-riggin or spinner baits and 15#-25# pitchin/Flippin.

I use Berkley XL for all my Spin reels 8# is about as heavy as I use on my spin gear.

I do have one reel tha has 20# Fireline on it. But all I use it for is real deep drop shotting or split shotting. And then I tie on a Flourocarbon leader that the hook is attached to. I feel I get better sensitivity and better hook sets in the deeper water because of the low stretch of Fireline.

JMHO

John F.

I would have to say the line size would be determined by the clarity of the water you are fishing. Here in the northern part of michigan the best size line is #6 or #8 because the water is very clear, can see down 15-20 feet or more. I use Trilene is photochromic color and love it. Have caught more fish on the color then any other.

Buzz, Good tips above. For pitching I use Fireline 30 lb with a 6' mono leader, helps with low vis and adds a little stretch to the line for hard hook sets, plus if you get hung up bad, you can break the mono leader, NOT the fire line. I have scars on the ole fingers to prove that from when I didn't use a leader. LOL, Plus when you respool, leave some old line on as a backer. When pitching, you almost never get down to the bottom half of the spool so no need to replace it costing you more. Leave it have spooled, and just put 75 to 100 yards of new line over it. if you get something big enough to spool 75 yards of 30 lb, you be sure to let me know, I'm moving!

OK heres my 2 cents worth, first as mentioned above don't respool until your ready.

Tere are a bunch of great lines out there on the market, they each have stong points and bad points, I rund you down on my wheres and whys then you can determine your needs and make an educated guess.

I respool alot, every day of a tournament! I dont have a line sponsor so I have to buy my line and I have to be able to afford it.

I have a very vast hook set and tend to break off low stretch lines. So when pitchen or flippen I use 15 to 20 pound big game. If I use Florocarbin I use 17-20#.

Top water I use 15 pound big Game it has enough stretch to keep fish from pulling the hooks out and it is bouyent enough to not hinder the action of the bait. (florocarbin sinks and messes up the action)

Crank baits I use 10-12 pound test (Big Game) on the lakes and in the delta and clear lake I use 15. The 10 to 12 help to get baits down deeper in the water colum and provide that shock absorbing action to keep from pulling the trebble hooks out. The Delta and Clear Lake are so shallow that there is no need for a deep presentation, but both of these lakes are hanted by monster bass and have heavy cover too.

Now spinning gear is my strong point, I fish in ultra clear water and know that visibility is a consideration. Imainly use Berkley Inshore(Big Game) it has a silver tint making it hard to see below AND above the water. My personal belief is 6 pound test is for trout fishermen (sorry Scott) but I will ocasionally use it. I do use florocaron from time to time but you have to very patient as it has a stiffer feel and often will loop up on you.

Here is a tip that all can use for spooling spinning reals, to avoid those little loops that are such a pain. I learned this from Gary Klein while staying with him for the US open on Mead. "Spool your reel up with your line remember to put it on in the same direction it comes off the filler spool. Once you are done take your spool off and run the hot water from your sink until it is hot!!!! then run the hot water over your line only for a minute or so, then shake the water out and let it cool" this will relax the line and allow it to mold its self to the new spool, once it is set the twists that were in it will be gone. Give it a try it works.

Rip Lips, GregG

Wow, would have never thought of that in a hundred years Greg. Thanks, for the tip. Man you learn something new here everyday. Usually useless, LOL, but sometimes good stuff like that. I'm going to try that this spring.

um Mr. Gutierrez, can I call you Gutz too? That would just be very cool! But seriously, that will cut an hour of hassle for me out of a guide day. Will that work with someones line already spooled and used that maybe didn't pull it off the way it was wound? Customers constantly show up with sorry, CRAP, and I have to fix it, while they destroy one of my rigs. I could do that at the lodge with thiers before we left and they would think I was a genious. Might even tip me better. I'll split it with you if it works! LOL

Rob,

I have run out of line during tournaments and have had to reverse line from one spool to the next, that way I could get the fresh line on top, now if that don't twist your line then nothing will! It has even worked for that. I just hold it under the hot water for a little longer to make sure.

Rip Lips,

Gutz

OK, I have to ask, HOW did you run it under hot water during a tourney, you guys carry DC hotplates?

I'm not respooling on the boat during the fishing day. I do it once I get in and am prepairing for the next days work.

GregG

i also use backer on my reels that hold more line that i would ever use. some of the newer reels already have a thicker center to the spool so you don't need a backer. you also want your spools full for full retrive ratio.i also tape off my backer and retie over it (not line to line). the spool windoff is important with spin and levelwind reels. i'm going to try the hot water deal also. it is easier for me to pop the spool out of the reel to tie on the line. as you can tell from these posts your line and line maint is very important. p.s.sun is bad. when not fishing put poles away. stan

Latest posts

Back