Re Engined my 189 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph TN

Reaction score
Nitro Folks,
We love or Nitro 189 Sport, Last year for some unknown reason the 150 EPI (110 hrs RT) just died. The dealer at the lake gave a $4,770 repair estimate with no guarantees because it was an “ODD” electrical issue. We went to a different dealer and got Re Engined for a good price with power steering, they also bought the core back, it was a new Mercury 175XL 4 stroke. Picked up the boat the next afternoon, straight to the lake...... WOW it’s a new boat, the 175XL on the 189 Sport is a perfect match. It’s like riding a 18 foot jet ski. If you have problems with your 150, don’t waste money put the 175 on it with power steering and enjoy.....
Joseph TN

The biggest regret I have with my 189 boat is buying a 115 Merc. And a single battery trolling motor. I also wish I would’ve bought a better trailer as I have probably replaced every single part over the last nine years and realize now it was never built for long-distance. I have also replaced the horn four times and changed out multiple fuses, replaced the speakers twice and the rubber bumper that goes around the boat three times. It is now nailed in place. Other than that I love her.

New to the site but I’ve have a 2003 Nitro sport with a 115 mercury 2 stroke on the back for a few years. It is a beautiful boat and I consistently get compliments on it. People think it’s new. Max HP for the boat is rated at 125 so I don’t feel like I’m missing much but I ran into a 290 Sport the other day and I have to say it made me want to upgrade my fish and ski for the first time. I think 2000-2011 nitro sports are beautiful boats and always try talking with owners out on the water.

Attachments

• D9DA5064-2EDB-41A5-AFC7-C7FD3D77A468.jpeg
    D9DA5064-2EDB-41A5-AFC7-C7FD3D77A468.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 27
I had the 115 on my 2001 Nitro F/S. Broke a piston skirt, lost all my top end speed. For $3k I bought a rebuilt 150 yamaha. I can get to @ 45 when wide open but usually stay down in the mid 30's. Its plenty for what I do.

Latest posts

Back