Ranger R61 vs Nitro 750

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Having trouble picking a boat. I have looked at 2 boats that are just like brand new....one is a 2005 Nitro NX750 with a 90hp Merc and the other is a 2001 Ranger R61 with a 90hp Mercury. The Ranger is better equipped and is 2 inches smaller in width but the Nitro is newer. I could pick up the Nitro for $10,000 and the guys selling the Ranger will not budge from $11,600 (average Nada is $9070). The Ranger only has 30 hours on it and looks brand new, not a scratch. The Nitro looks good too. Is there anything I am not thinking of???

Teri,

I do not think there is any reason to pay a 25+% premium for a seven or eight year old boat... Do you get any kind of hull warranty with the Nitro? And, motor warranty... can you buy an extended plan with the 2005 Mercury? Those items would be big considerations for me.

30 hours on the R61???......BUY IT!!!......You'll get your $$ back when you sell it next summer anyway!!(LOL)

Now Mac, my track record with boats is much better than with cars. The Ranger is located in Nashville and I know it will fit in my garage so I was leaning toward that one. However, he is asking well about average retail ($9070) for a 2001 R61, $11600. It does have some nice features like a keel guard, GPS on dash, Garming up front, Minnokota TM, etc. but I am not sure that stuff is worth $2600 above average. Not sure I could get that money out of it if I needed to. However, I can't find another used R61 anywhere near here!

Teri,

Have the Ranger checked out with a mechanic, especially the motor. You can always offer low and see if the seller is motivated.

Bob G.

Bob, he aint budging. I dont see many votes for the Nitro.

Teri - sounds like the Ranger guys is upside in his loan and needs to get the extra $2600. Its always a bad idea to buy someone else's mistake, so I'd say pass on the Ranger if he won't come down. As a buyer, you're always in a better position of not having to purchase. Another boat will come along (heck, the Nitro sounds like a good deal if all checks out!). I can relate as I was looking long and hard before buying the deck boat for the family, but patience does get rewarded!

I agree with Bob to offer low and then let the seller sweat it out. If he's not willing to go lower (and $2,600 above NADA average sounds pretty high given the high gas prices and the overall economy not being conducive to boat owners or those looking to unload them quickly), then move on to the next.

The guy paid off his loan. I asked. He is just being a stubborn old bag who thinks it's worth alot more because it looks new! :D

30 hours on an 7-year old boat would seem to command a premium above NADA average in my mind. You seem to be describing an above average boat. Condition of the boat, motor, other paraphenalia, and where the boat was sitting during the non-30 hours would make a difference to me.

If you need to buy the boat with a bail out guarantee, then an above NADA average price is not the best boat for you. Of course, neither is a Nitro which is often unfairly bashed for its quality, keeping prices and demand low [actually, Nitros are probably the most fairly priced boats on the market].

I'd buy the newer boat, cheaper. However, I sense that you want to buy the Ranger but just can't pull the trigger. ;)

Teri the R series bring more than they list for..Theye are very easy to sell In this area..30 hours It's like new..Better re-sale and you will like It...JR

I agree with everything Jim C. had to say about all of this. I too sense though, that you want to go with the Ranger. Well, just how far are you willing to go? You won't go $11,600 because the NADA average is $9070. Would you give him $11,000? How about $10,500? If you really want the Ranger, pick a figure you can live with and offer it. If he still says $11,600, just walk away. You have to!

Now, what's wrong with a newer Nitro that has a proven hull design and everyone that owns one seems to like a lot? And, will The Nitro guy come down from $10,000. if you showed up with a certified check for $9,500? You could buyh some nice toys for the Nitro with the money you'd save. Just my .02

Uncle Billy

My life is so jacked up right now. I guess that's why I am hesitant to pull the trigger on anything. I took the Ranger out this weekend, offered him $11,000 and he said no so I walked. The Nitro is in Charlotte, North Carolina so it's not as easy to test/haggle etc. I am still looking and still have my Triton for sale.

JR, he actually purchased the boat new at KillBucks in Anderson. They met him in KY. It has a sticker on the back.

Hey Teri - if the Ranger guy's loan's paid off, then he's just being stubborn!! Ask yourself what would happen if you bought the Ranger at his price. Then you find you're having trouble selling the Triton or the Triton doesn't command as high a price as you had hoped. Now you have two boats and two boat payments. Still think the Ranger price was right?

What about the Nitro guy? As Uncle Billy noted, will he come down? The boat is much newer - and he's probably got the kinks worked out (if any). NC is a harder haul (no doubt), but won't seem like much when you're looking back a few months after the deal is done.

Best of luck!

Teri I think he might come to 11 If you tell him thats as high as you will go..I can find out any details If you want me to on It..JR

He says he wants to list it in Wheels and Deals for a few weeks and he "knows he will get 11,600 out of it". I told him to go ahead and call me if he decides to take $11,000.

:huh: That guy won't come down a lousy $600?! :blink: That's a guy who doesn't really need to sell or he simply doesn't want to face and accept that buyers don't always value things the same way as the seller. :wacko:

Sorry your life is jacked up right now; I hope you can put the lugs back on, get the rubber on the road, and get back to racing in the groove. ;)

Teri,Whats his name and did he buy It new....Tell him your freinds with the guys at Killbuck and they said 11 Is a fair price.....Those r series sell so easy..one of the best ever built...hulll design is great on IT....JR

My view. The extra money, is simply a decision on whether you like/want the boat that much. It really doesn't figure into re-sale and all that 'other stuff'. For the most part, if you really like the Ranger and you think that is a reasonable price - buy it. If you think that it's too much (regardless of what NADA thinks), pass.

I do this when buying cars/boats/etc. I decide how much I will pay and offer it. If accepted, I take possession. If not, I simply walk away and find something else.

There IS ALWAYS ANOTHER DEAL OUT THERE.

Best of luck. Remembe, another R61 will fit in your garage - just like that one will.

Tex

I am holding off for now. $11K is my offer and I am not going up. At least I've drove the R61 now and feel better about how it will hold up in the chop. I also know it will fit in my garage. I have a boat still so I will sit back and wait.....but it's fun to talk about it.

I've been in the smaller Rangers. 17-6 and 19 footers. The guys in our club call them sleds. If you're interested in speed and handling I'd go with the Nitro. I have one with a 115 2 stroke and it flys and keeps up with rangers sport'n 150 HP's. I think in the Ranger you'd get about 41-42 MPH with the 90. In the 750 you'll get closer to 50. Of course I'm partial to Nitro since I own one. But other than having classic twofootitis, I've been happy with it for 4 going on 5 years now. As far as resale value, that's something I haven't considered because i just see something I like and go for it.that's probably not much help. Good luck

Teri - you gotta buy what you are comfortable with, but i could not see even the comparison of a 2001 vs a 2005 boat with the same motor?? Now price, I know a good friend localy in March sold his 1997 R70 with a 115 Merc for just a hair over $8k, so a 4 year newer Ranger that is smaller with a 90, doesn't seem anywhere like a $11k deal to me. Yes Ranger's have better resale values, no question, but MAN for $10k in a 17ft boat you are WIDE open, if the garage could fit it down here you could buy a 15ft 150hp 2000 model in a lot of brands. Heck, just check boattraderonline.com for bassboats under $10k. I found quickly (now granted some of these are in TX not that close, but use for comparison shopping):

2000 RANGER R71, 2000 Ranger R71, Evinrude 115 Oil Injected Outboard, Fish Finder at Console, Fish Finder at Bow, 24 Volt Trolling Motor, Custom Trailer, Excellent Condition, Runs Great! $9,995

2001 NITRO NX 750SC 17' 6" 2001 Nitro 750 with 2002 Merc 125, Lazer 2 Prop, Motorguide 48#, 3 Bank Charger, Eagle Color GPS/Sonar on Dash, Lowrance X125 on Bow, Folding Tongue. Boat has been garage kept. $8,500

If I didn't realy love my Nitro and want to keep it when we get back from China, i'd make you a heck of a deal on mine, but i'm keeping her!!

Trep

I would go for the Ranger and put the $600 bucks out of my mind.

Pros - It fits in the garage, BIG positive IMHO

Pros - It's a Ranger

I am still holding out on the Ranger. If I didn't have a boat already, I would be telling a different story. :D

Trep, thanks for looking. I have been browsing lots of boat sites but Texas is a bit far to drive for me. Hope you are enjoying your stay abroad. That's pretty cool!

Teri - I'll LOVE keeping up on your "vehicle" purchases!!! SUVs and Boats, gotta love ya!!

I'm actualy back in the US for 3.5 weeks getting everything ready for the move, we leave in Mid July for the year/18 months in China.

Can't wait to see what you get this time!!!

Trep

Well, I may be coming back to the Nitro family.......never thought I would say that!!!!

Found a 2004 Nitro 750 NX with a 115hp Merc with a motor warranty until 6/2009, less than 40 hours on motor. Has a swing tongue, spare, am/fm/cd and speakers installed (listen to football on sundays), hot foot, trim on steering wheel, detachable ladder, custom cover, looks brand spanking new and he is driving it here next weekend from KY to ensure it fits in my garage before I hand over the money.

I can pick this one up for the same price as the 2001 Ranger with 90 Merc. The Ranger does have an additional fish finder up front and a GPS on the dash. Also has a wee-bit better trolling motor (I prefer Minnokota) thrust, 50 vs 42. Also looks brand new with less than 40 hours.

Now all you opinion givers...............would you call the Ranger guy up and say accept my offer or I am buying another one or would you just buy the Nitro?????

Trep, I've had my SUV for months and my boat for 3 summers......it's about time for a change. I am setting records here!!!!!!!!!1:p

Teri only you can decide..(Remember brownie's) If your happy with the Nitro go for It...Boats are not selling now In this area right now..I have been tring to sell mine all summer.... so get what you will be happy with...JR

Teri,

The warranty for almost two seasons is woth a "grand" or so...

What is the NADA?

The NADA with the bigger motor (115hp instead of 90hp) is $10600. They were asking $12995. I offered $12000 because of condition, warranty and extras that come with it. They said no at first and then came back the next day at 12K. I still have the Triton so I don't think it's smart to buy one without selling the other. If I sell the Trtion before the end of the summer, I will be fine.

Teri - The 750 with the 115 Merc (is it an Opti or the ELPTO like I have) will be a solid 50+mph boat, I love the layout of the NX a bit wider and longer then my LX and supposed to be a better rough riding hull, though no complaints here.

2 years on a motor warranty especialy buy USED is a total great deal. If it suits your needs and a good price and checks out and fits in the garage, welcome back!!

If not, keep looking for the right boat!

Trep

Trep, I don't believe it's an Opti. I like it's the ELPTO. One of the reasons I like the Nitro over the Ranger is it's rated to hold more people and it's a foot longer and wider than the Ranger. My lake can get pretty choppy. I am just nervous about a Nitro because my Nitro fish and ski was not the best quality. However, I do blame most of the issues on dealer rigging. The trailer leaf springs braking was not Nitros fault.

You know my '99, you saw it when Rich had it at the 2004 Rally, its been to KY twice round trip, all over GA, and its a '99 with no issues on the trailer or boat (except those scratches Rich put on the drivers side before I bought it!!!! LOL)

All in what you are comfortable with, it is a BUYERS market on boats, so find what you like and get it!!

Latest posts

Back