Ranger Owners Z-Series

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S

Reaction score
Ok guys what do yall think of the Z-Series Ranger, that was unvailed over the weekend???

I really like the dash...it looks alot better than the wood grain I think. The metal stripes down the middle of the boat seem a bit strange but other than that its a good looking rig....

Ranger? Z-Series? What are those??? LOL!!!!

the metal stripes are supposed to be better/new locking mechanisms for the compartments... supposed to make them water tight...

I'm thinking they'd be durn hot in the middle of a summer day...

Can't wait to see one in person... wonder what the pricing is going to be??

I see the "z series" part as a direct response to the triton's "x series"....

OK guys this is a Nitro board, SOOOOOO... What is Nitro's answer to all these new fancy boats? Is there a 21ft 300hp Avalanche comming??? Maybe a redesigned 929???

Anyone know???

I am sure it is a great boat. I probably won't see one until next years boat show though.

Rich D

Trep,

In some ways, I think this is Ranger and Triton's answer to Nitro's 9 series....

Many of the triton x series features were standard on the 9 series...

(steps back to avoid the avalanche of insults that are about to be hurled at him for even considering this)

Simmy, im some ways you may be right but the Ranger does break some new ground on the latches and the "look". I looked as the picts and video and its a nice boat, the rear of the hull looks very much like a Champion, cant tell about the rest of it but im sure i will see a few at the boat shows. If the hull is anything like a Champ up front it will be a great riding boat for sure. I hope they also made the livewells bigger, my personal opinion is Ranger puts in one thats too small. I like the latches a lot. If it truly keeps the compartments dry thats great. I also like the layout with the tackle storage on the side, if thay made it an option as to what side you could put that on that would be very cool. I dont like the electronic switches and multi function guages. i like keeping things as simple as possible and a real analog switch is pretty foolproof(i have seen the solid state type ones fail on a buddies triton killing all 5 of his fish because he had no well pumps working) and i would prefer seperate guages. Other then that it looks like a nice boat.

Jim,

absolutely agree with you... I do think there is more "new/original" stuff in the z-series... when I looked at the triton I couldn't find one single thing to make me really want to trade the 901...

I like the idea of digital switches, simply becuase they cant "corrode" the same way as the analogue ones can. but then again, if the board goes, they all go...

it's always a tradeoff...

I like the changes to the trailer as well...

Storage and organization I will have to wait to comment on till I get up close and personal...

I expected a little more for such a big buildup (I actually thought it would be something that was really "new").

I want to see a few perform before making any judgments.

Someone on the FLW broadcast on the web stated that the fellow that one the red boat was offered 60K for it. I bet the Z21 is gonna be in the 50 to 60K range, too expensive for my wallet..I'll stick with my paid for NX750 :)

BTW the Z21 is a very cool looking boat, If money was not a issue I would consider one.

I tell ya, at even $40k, I do not see your average bass fisherman/woman affording that MUCH for a weekend boat toy! Now you pros and trying to make it to Pros, sure you can either get a team deal, get a sponsor deal or mortgage your house/life to buy a 40-60k rig HOPING to win a major Tourney or 2 to pay it back. Me, like Cars at this price IF I wanted to seriously fish local T's and try some of the lower level national ones (Everstart, BFL...) i'd buy a 2-3 yearold top line boat to avoid the depreciation.

Now if you get one of these "deals" where you get a discounted boat and can sell it each year (and have the $$ to buy it up front) then do it!!

I hate to say this but I saw the boat at the FLW Championship, and I thought it was a very nice looking boat. This is a first for me and Ranger.

They said it was the widest beam on the market, 95", but that is not true, my 929 is 96" and the 911 is 98".

This boat has a foam pad under the carpet on the decks, which is suppose to make it much easier on your feet and legs.

I liked the bed liner type spray on the trailer, the center mounted dolly jack, and the LED lights.

They don't have the engine sitting back, built-in set back, like their other boats. It looks much better this way, like a normal bass boat.

They sure gave away a lot of product, Lays potato chips, Banana Boat sun screen, Act II microwave pop corn, snicker candy bars, Eagle Claw Hooks, Kelloges Sugar Pops and Frosted Mini Wheats, Pedigree Dog Food, Wave Tiki Worms, Yamamotto Kinama Plastics, Skippy Peanutbutter Bars, Beef Jerky, 7-Up, and all the hot popcorn you could eat. We were there on the last day and all of these products were as much as you wanted, I think they wanted to get rid of it all and not have to take it back with them. My Grandson and I made two trips to the truck because our bags were getting to heavy to carry.

I thought I would see Mac there, but did not see him.

We had a good time, not as good as the Classic at Charlotte, but still had fun. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Thay are KOOL..Another gimmic to sell boats....Gotta give people something everyear now days....JR

Trep, I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but for the sake of others and image of professional tourney fishing, I thought I ought ot enlighten you and those that may be reading and not know any better.

You obvious lack of knowledge about profesional tourney anglers and the sport as a whole is overly apparent in you last post.

First off, as a tourney pro or as you put it, those of us trying to turn pro, this is a way of life AND a business. Would a landscaper go into business without a tractor or lawn mowers? To ME a $10k lawn mower is ridiculous, but then again I don't make my living mowing lawns and landscaping so I don't presume to know what is overpriced and what isn't.

A mechanic doesn't open a shop without a barage of expensive tools and a hydraulic lift along with up to a 30K diagnostic machine. Too expensive for the weekend motor head??? Sure but he's not making a living doing it.

Plus all of these people NEVER pay retail for their equipment. The mfr's know that they know the industry and charge them accordingly.

Like tourney anglers. We never pay book for a boat. With out "deals" as you put it, we can afford the boats and don't have to mortgage our LIVES or our homes. Your seeming lack of knowledge when it comes to finance is disturbing IMHO. And I don't base this on this one post.

It does NOT take 2 major wins to pay for a rig, only 1. And we don't HOPE to win a tourney. You HOPE to win the lottery, tourneys are in our hands. You either fish well enough or you don't. You educate yourself, prepare yourself, learn the water, learn a pattern, put time enough in, never give up, and fish until you're ready to drop. THAT's how you win, you don't HOPE! For those of us with the determination...it is only a matter of time, not a matter of if!

And finally, if Everstarts are lower level tourneys....I'll try to remember that next month while I fish against Guido Hibdon, Dion Hibdon, Dave Lefebre, Marcel Veenstra, Kevin Vida, Pat Fisher, JT Kenny, and the other FLW pros that JUST came back from the FLW championship.

It's funny, the people that have posted about Rangers the most lately neither claim to like them, own them, or have ridden in many if any at all. That's why most of us who do own them, simply refuse to respond to most of the threads. The bottom line is this, the Z series Commanches ARE the future of bass boats....PERIOD. You can be the steam roller or you can be the road. Ranger is the roller.

And Sim, to imply that this is Ranger's answer to the 9 series is seriously a joke!

As somebody recently told me, if any of you had a dollar for each time Ranger gets slammed here, at least one of you could afford to pay cash full retail for Z21!

And if you look, over the years, the members of this board have increasingly left Nitro for other brands. You may not agree with me openly, or like it, but I just call it like I see it. Not bashing Nitro, just stating MY opinion. Now go ahead and do like you always do and jump all over my post. It just wouldn't seem like the "new and improved" NTOWS if you didn't.

"And Sim, to imply that this is Ranger's answer to the 9 series is seriously a joke! "

I said "in some ways"... look at it this way..

1. this is Rangers first major overhaul/redesign in a while

2. They are announcing this first to the public instead of the dealers...

So, "in some ways" it is an answer to both Triton's and Nitros...

not talking about specific boat features or design..

If you think about the branding "Z-Series" is (intentional or not) an answer to the "x series" or "9 series" from that standpoint alone...

Like I said early on, i can't wait to see one of these up close, and I wonder what the initial priceing is going to be...

Oh Rob please,

I don't think Trep said anything negative about the ranger boat. All I got out of his post is that he can't afford it and niether can most of the casual fishermen.

I for one am tired of the pissing match between you and whoever at the time says anything remotely negative about ranger or you or your profession.

It seems that the only time one of these ranger threads get ugly is when you get offened because think someone taking a shot at you.

I think trep was "Not bashing ranger, just stating his opinion" (quote from your post).

Wolf

The Dealers did know about the new line of boats first....I would like to say, to have a boat,,,,Any Boat. Is better than no boat....

I had a nitro and as I write It's still one of the best boats I have ever owned..Carlos can attest to that....

I happen to need a different style boat that Ranger makes. and It's the best built type that I needed....I Truly believe that Nitro makes a great boat..There Dealers seem to have a problem..Some do anyhow..

But I see no Ranger bashing lately..Heck I was one of the first to switch brands, but I also do It with automobiles.......Heck today I have an Impala and a new red Montecarlo..It's very sharp also..I think everyone on here has gone astray for some weird reason, We used to be the closest knit bunch on the web...Whats going on?????? It seems like after the rally It's went to heck here I can't figure It out.....AS always JR's Opinion

Rob give me a break!

This is Rangers answer to the Tritons and the 929. If you can not see that well, then you just cant see it.

What does price have to do with anything.

I paid cash for my 929. All $37,992.40 of it! If I wanted to buy a ranger I would have. Price did not matter. Hell, what the hell is the diff between a 38K boat and a 42K boat? However, I opted for the 929 for many reasons.

Just because you think Ranger is a better boat (which it may well be) you really need to step down off of your perch.

Wolf - You are right on man! I never slammed Rob, Ranger or ANYONE. Heck, if Rob read my post he'd notice I said "I tell ya, at even $40k, I do not see your average bass fisherman/woman affording that MUCH for a weekend boat toy!" That goes for Ranger, Nitro, Triton, Basscat and all the rest! The top end boats and a lot of the mid-range boats are being priced WAY out of the average weekend boaters wallet!

Rob - Man who ran over you dog this morning!!! You are in a HUGE bad mood!!!

OK, let's see if I can respond in a calm adult manner:

1. "I tell ya, at even $40k, I do not see your average bass fisherman/woman affording that MUCH for a weekend boat toy!" See this just states plainly most folks on this board and the general fishing population can NOT afford these boats without "mortgage your house/life". Period end of story. Some folks do finance them, and great it's America it's their choice, but not for me.

2. "Now you pros and trying to make it to Pros, sure you can either get a team deal, get a sponsor deal or mortgage your house/life to buy a 40-60k rig HOPING to win a major Tourney or 2 to pay it back." Again, as even you said "Like tourney anglers. We never pay book for a boat. With out "deals" as you put it, we can afford the boats and don't have to mortgage our LIVES or our homes." So I read that we said the exact thing!!

3. Your comment "Your seeming lack of knowledge when it comes to finance is disturbing IMHO" is all the more interesting to me. You want to talk about how to finance a $15million (yes million) e-server infrastructure to run the education web systems for a 356,000 employee company, come talk to me. You want to talk about "knowledge about profesional tourney anglers and the sport" well i'll leave that to you, Mack, Mini, Dan and the rest. Not my specialy and i've NEVER claim it is.

4. "lower level national ones (Everstart, BFL...)" from me got you to say "And finally, if Everstarts are lower level tourneys....I'll try to remember that next month while I fish against Guido Hibdon, Dion Hibdon, Dave Lefebre, Marcel Veenstra, Kevin Vida, Pat Fisher, JT Kenny, and the other FLW pros that JUST came back from the FLW championship. " See my comment in #3, not my bag or experience. So see you have an opportunity to TEACH the large part of the folks on this site that are NOT professional Tourney anglers and do NOT KNOW the concept of Deals/Sponsorship and the like, instead of rant and rave - your choice.

5. "And finally, if Everstarts are lower level tourneys....I'll try to remember that next month while I fish against Guido Hibdon, Dion Hibdon, Dave Lefebre, Marcel Veenstra, Kevin Vida, Pat Fisher, JT Kenny, and the other FLW pros that JUST came back from the FLW championship. " See again you educated me and others who are not familiar with the Tourney ciruit. I thought Everstart was like the Bush leagues in NASCAR (and NO i'm not familiar with that either!!! LOL)

So I guess in conclusion on my above post, I just said DO IT!! If you have the deal go for it, if these boat manufactures (and again I NEVER mentioned Ranger specificaly) want to sell to me and others, their pricing themselves out of my market.

6. You said "It does NOT take 2 major wins to pay for a rig, only 1." See, you taught me something I didn't know, that a Everstart type tournament can win you that much - cool!

Now that i've shown you in an adult manner why I have NO IDEA where you got your pink panties in a bunch on my comments that were NEVER directed to Ranger or you, lets take a look deeper into one of your comments:

A. "And we don't HOPE to win a tourney. You HOPE to win the lottery, tourneys are in our hands. You either fish well enough or you don't. You educate yourself, prepare yourself, learn the water, learn a pattern, put time enough in, never give up, and fish until you're ready to drop. THAT's how you<

Okay.. I guess I'll put my .0099043 cents in.....I say this due to the fact that I own a Ranger and I too believe it's rangers version of the 9 and X series. (also own a tr-21 so I kinda know about Toons) My predictions for the future is that if Ranger doesn't do something about all that exposed crome on the decks they're going to be owned by someone who's kid gets burned when they go out to catch bream!.....In this day and age of sue happy people I would think they would cover their assets..That's got to be the most assinine system they could have come up with...The concept is good but the production is all wrong along with the depth finder being in line with my knee....Personally, I haven't seen a 9 series up close but I have seen and fished out of the X series and it's more functional than the Z series...By the way... If you're standing on the front deck it would appear to be a PITA to get a pole out of the middle rod locker on the Rangers. Seems like a waste to me on my buds Comanche 521...Maybe before it actually hits the market Ranger will address some of these issues... Doubt they'll do anything with the price issue tho but they're not the only company with price issues... It's rediculous that you have to pay ANY company more that you'd pay for a new truck just to get a decent T ready Fishin platform and that goes for Triton, Nitro, Ranger, Gambler,,,etc etc...Guess I'm in for it now. :(

Hey guy's my ranger cost 45,000.00 and It's the best boat I have owned but for 45 grand It had better be..Rob Isn't preaching..He had a nitro and loved It..But lets all step back and reflect.....Nitro dealers seem to be reluctant to step up some times..I think you all agree that Boats cost alot of money nad we all hope for the best one..If I have as good of luck with my ranger I had with the Nitro I will be one happy camper....Rob always has great advice here and I appreciate It..We all have some good things to say and learn from so lets KOOL IT... Everyone here Is FAmily...JR( even Mike Snow) BWHAAHAHHA Sorry Mike had to do IT....JR

Wow Bill really nice uncalled for slam on Rob there. As far as im concerned Rob can preach about being a pro angler all he wants. I know he is trying to live a dream and join the ranks and fish full time for a living and i pesonally think he can and will do it. Unlike a lot of us here he has the talent and drive to get it done. So what if he has a used Ranger and fishes in the "lower level" flw stuff. Everyone has to start somewhere and climb the ladder. You cant just wake up some morning and proclaim yourself a pro and fish the elite 50 or flw stuff you have to qualify first. He is trying to do something that a lot of us here, myself included would never have the balls to try.

Jim B -

Good points, but there are **better** ways to say things, Rob needs to chill on the Ranger stuff.

wgkish the ranger stuff dosent bother me one bit. He is obviouosly happy with his Ranger experience and was not happy with his nitro experience and hes not afraid to share it. I can respect that and i have no problem with it. Having been slammed here for sharing my feelings about GM after being burned by them on my last truck i know where he is coming from. Ill tell my story to anyone who wants to listen regardless of how thay may feel about that brand.

I like my Nitro a lot and i let everyone who will listen know about it, im sure its the same with his ranger and there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. If you dont like it dont read his posts, its that simple. Its no reason to slam someone who has contributed a lot to this board over the years.

To Quote the "MacDaddy"

"I don't care who you are, Nobody gets a free boat"

Truer words were never spoken. Woo and KVD don't get free boats. It is a personal decision as to whether or not a Ranger is worth the $$. Rob feels it is. He always has. He had problems with his NITRO, NITRO stiffed him in the process. He is at one end of the spectrum. There are people scatttered everywhere inbetween. Rob is an "excitable boy" and and just needs to remember that there is a spectrum and that the majority of fishermen don't make their living in their rigs.

There is this little principle called "economies of scale". In some peoples spectrum and economy of scale NITRO is the logical (and right) choice. For others Ranger/Triton/BassCat/ChampioN/Allison/Javelin/and others/ is the right choice.

Bottom line, there is no 1 perfect boat. If there was there would be only 1 manufacturer. The fish don't know what you drive.

Rob is passionate about his sport/profession. To know him is to know that.

TOXIC

Ford vs Chevy

Sooners vs Longhorns

Microsoft vs Apple

Nitro vs Ranger

Yankees vs Mets

NTOWS vs BFHP

Sooners vs Cornhuskers

Dodge vs Ford & Chevy

Tin vs Glass

Democrats vs Republicans

Ranger vs Triton

Bomber vs Bandit

'Bama vs Alburn

Extra Plup vs No Plup

Trilene vs Stren

Sooners vs Cowboys

McDonalds vs Burger King

Nitro vs The World

Buckeyes vs Wolverines

Teri vs Snow

Gammi vs Owner

Damn Yankees vs Good ol' Boys

Rock vs Country

Okay, I hope I made my point.

Part of the fun of life is having a differance of opinion. How boring it would be to just agree with everything. Well, it would be okay for all of you to agree with me...just kidding. I think it would be a great idea if we could all just agree to disagree. It's only natural, considering the level of Testosterone hanging in the air around here for people to disagree. It's fun to have a heated but civil argument. Just don't take it personal is all I'm trying to say. I know everyone of us has more important issues in our lives than what the opinion somebody else has of our choice of boat. Frankly when it comes time for me to trade boats I'm going to look at all the differant brands.

$.02 please

Harpo

My restraint is over.....

"He had problems with his NITRO, NITRO stiffed him in the process."

This misconception is why I jumped on Rob twice in the recent past. He has said things in his posts that were inaccurate.

The truth is.....

He had problems with an old Tracker that he owned when he first started posting. He was having some warranty difficulties as were quite common under their old system. Eventually, I gave him the name of a lady at Tracker who got things taken care of.

In recent posts, he seems to have forgotten the facts. He has claimed he had to get legal assistance in order to resolve the issue.

He got rid of the Tracker and purchased an older Nitro; I think it was an 1800. He only had one problem with this boat. He praised it when he went to sell it. He was so pleased with Nitro that he was even considering buying another member's 896.

The one problem he did have was more of a "perceived" problem; he complained about the attitude of Ranger owners when they saw he was driving a Nitro. At one point, I came right out and told him that is was likely more his attitude towards them.

Tracker had made mistakes as we all have.

But to burden them with unfair "exagerations" as Rob has is completely uncalled for.

Now, as to the quality of Rangers, you will get no arguement from me. I wish I had a Ranger! I wish I had been in the position to buy BJ's old Ranger! I wish I had (almost) any boat right about now!

me!

Me! Tracker, Nitro does it really matter? He was not happy with the company in gereral for the way he way treated. I can completly relate to and respect that. i had with my last truck. It was a GMC and General Motors really me like a peice of dirt. Now i wont own any GM product no matter what brand is on the grill.

What i find funny is that some people are very quick to attack Rob for his "pro Ranger" stance but when Mac posts something about a Ranger the same people either say nothing or agree with him. Now im not saying we all start slamming Mac any time he mentions his ranger, he dosent deserve that and neither does Rob. I know i dont need to defend Rob on this forum, he can do that just fine for himself. Im just really growing tired of a select few people who jump down his throat time and time again no matter what he posts. Its really getting old people.

Hey Jim B - How about a "Im just really growing tired of a select few people " jumping down MY throat when I posted NOTHING about Ranger or Rob!!!

Nothing against you Jim, it just seems on certain occations Rob (and others) jump on someone for no reason, and YES you're right "Its really getting old people."

Your right jim it doesn't matter and should not be an issue.

You know, I have always been the type to pull for the little guy, the underdog if you will. I have been waiting to get on this site one sunday afternoon or a monday morning and see Rob saying, I won I won, I finally did it.

That is what it is all about, whether its in a ranger a nitro a triton, or a 12 foot tin rig with a 25 horse. I want to see an aspiring fishermen stick it to the big name guys who take home a check week in and week out. I would love to see the look on thier faces when Rob steps up to the scales with a bag full of toads and outweighs everyone of them by five pounds. And he will probable do it, I have no doubt that he has the drive to git r done. I will be the first to congradulate him when he does.

All that other crap matters not....and to argue about it does no good to anyone here. I am just tired of the pettyness I see here on this site.

Rob, don't try to make it happen with typed words on this web site. Continue your persistance on the water and let it come to you. Then proclaim to all the world that you kicked butt.

Wolf

Trep you are 100% right, it goes both ways and it needs to stop. I generally try not to get into this type of stuff but i felt i needed to say something on this one. i can understand two people having a disagreement as you and Rob did on this one and i do think he jumped on you a bit without reason. But when people start taking pot shots just to stoke the coals it gets stupid really fast and thats what happened here. This petty bickering stuff needs to stop.

Threads like this and all the other BS bashing and whining that goes on in here is EXACTLY why I don't participate in this board that much anymore....we use to have GREAT discussions in here....but times have changed. Ohwell...carry on.

Mac

Why can't we all just get along???

Let's all join hands and sing "Kumbaya"

Perhaps, if you have a disagreement with somebody you should simply take to e-mail. I've seen that work out pretty good.

Harpo

kumbaya.jpg

Just like other relationships, it is healthy to disagree. As long as it does not get personal then no harm no foul. If I see a clean shot that I feel I need to take (and I have) I won't hesitate for fear of somebody's sensibilities being offended here on this board. There are going to be disagreements, to think we can all co-habitate on this site like high hippies in a commune is nieve. A good brawl is not only entertaining, it is necessary. As long as the shots are clean and not personal. And........Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

TOXIC

Tox,

How can we take clean shots at you with all those fumes and flames spewing out your arse???

Thats funny.....Toxic talking about "clean shorts" er I mean shots...LOl

Wolf

Score for The Wolf

Toxic, I think that was what I was trying to say last night. Thanks.

Harpo

We'll just start calling Toxic - PUMBA!!!!

Hey Rob - Man you need some valum!!!

You tell Staci " It does NOT pertain to you, you were NOT involved, so pipe down" So why again did you take to getting all nasty on me when I didn't mention Ranger or you in my original post?

Any by the way you'll notice in my original post I said "at this price IF I wanted to seriously fish local T's and try some of the lower level national ones (Everstart, BFL...) i'd buy a 2-3 yearold top line boat to avoid the depreciation." Which is EXACTLY what you did last year isn't it? You bought a used Ranger to fish your Pro Tourneys INSTEAD of mortgaging your house to try and make it on the tour. Which is exactly what I said I would do!!

Trep

Rich,....please delete this thread in it's entirety,...it's getting out of hand!!!

Rich -

Please DO NOT delete this thread. It's finally bringing some misconceptions to light.

me!

Me what does this prove? That Rob was trying to help a few people using his experience in that arena? Thats about all i see. Isnt that what this board is about?

Like i said before this crap needs to stop, and the only way that will happen if is people stop adding fuel to the fire.

Me,

I agree with Jim. There should be nothing you need to prove. Sharing experience and honest opinions is what this is all about. It is healthy to be passionate about one's opinions and, for the sake of this forum, it should never get personal.

Paul

I need to call Pierre Voissine and see if he's got an extra fire suit....the flames are getting higher!!!

Neeley... now would not be a good time for you to waer that feather boa or the chiffon ... LOL

Like a lot of families... we are having a bad hair day or something... But, let it go... we all have a lot of history here that far outweighs our current differences...

It's not who is right or who is wrong... It's about all of us here being up to the challenge of maintaining this place as it should be...

I don't care if Rob buys and runs an Ozaek or a Bullet... He is my friend... Staci, same story... Trep, well he's an acquaintance... (he wouldn't fish with me this summer so I am pouting...LOL) Is it worth it? That's the question...

Greg - MAN, i'm HURT!!! LOL I would love to have fished 2 weeks ago, but it was a FAMILY reunion and I tried but could not get away!!! Though in hind sight I should have had you come up to the "ranch" and join me in the pond for some fish!!!

Trep

Hmmm, some folks are forgetting the posting guidelines.

I tend to view the members of this site with rose colored glasses. I have rarely ever had to issues warnings or implement bans, so I don't even think about it.

But, we seem to be approaching the point where I need to think about it. If you folks can't treat each other with respect, I'll begin eliminating the repeat offenders.

This thread is closed.

Latest posts

Back