Quick-clip on bait?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
I was tinkering around last night and decided to try a clip w/swivel on a hard bait. Will it cause any problems, ie., drag, loss of bait action, etc?

bait2.JPG

Will it cause any problems, ie., drag, loss of bait action, etc?

YES Loose the swivel that jerk bait won't twist your line which is the onlyreason to use it.

Harpo

I've been using the Norman quick clips on most of my hard body baits. Doesn't work with/for all, but does for most. No swivel, just a 'snap like' attachement.

Tex

Norman.jpg

I don't use clips/swivels anymore for the simple fact that they kept breaking and I would lose my fish and lure. I definitely get better performance on cranks and spinnerbaits tying them straight on too.

Use a loop knot for ALL your Jerks! 10 times more action...I learned that from the Lidner boys:p

I also tie direct for cranks and spinners....I do singe the end of the tag end with a lighter for insurance. Haven't lost one due to a knot coming apart since;)

I use the quick clips on most of my crankbaits like Tex does. I've done so for years, and have only had two come undone, and I'm not quite sure if it wasn't me being in a hurry that caused it - never on a fish though - both times I had the bait come off on a cast. Put the lure back on and it never came off again. Last time that happened was years ago when I first started using them, and I was always in a rush. Slowed down and now that doesn't happen.

I fully agree with using the loop knot on Jerkbaits. I use it on all jerkbaits, twitchbaits, and the topwater poppers and prop baits. I stopped using the quick clips and loop knots on walking type topwaters though. A good friend of mine showed me that by using a oval split ring tied with a normal Polomar knot on the walking type baits (Sammy's, Zara Spook's, etc...), it walks the dog a lot easier. Just the OVAL split rings... not the round ones.

For the loop knot. Kind of hard to explain without a picture. I started to write it all down, and then read it, and it even confused me. I can do it with my eyes closed, but can't really explain in writing. Look on the Rapala web page. I think they have the common knots on there. Look for the Rapala loop. Works great... and they should have pictures.

Glenn

The Rapala knot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tie an overhand knot. Leave 5" of free end. Run free end through the eyelet.

Run free end back through overhand knot.

Wrap free end around standing part of line 3 times.

Thread free end through back of overhand knot.

Pass free end through loop that is formed.

Moisten line and draw up tight. Trim excess.

They are a little tricky til' ya' get the hang of them...kinda' like a Blood Knot....took me a few tries:wacko:

I've been using the Quick Clips for years now that Texas T. shows the picture of. They work

really well for changing lures quickly. For 'saftey sake' after a while I do retie the knot so it

doesn't break from wear.

Mike L.

OK. Now we've hit on one of my pet peeves...I'm going to rant a little and I hope I don't insult anyone because it not my intention. Why in the world would you introduce another element into the already fragile link you have between the fish and your line? Is it because it's easier? Then why bother to get out of bed, I mean really how hard is it to tie a knot? Is it because it's faster? How long does it take to tie a palomar, improved cinch or Rapala knot? You should be able to tie one with your eyes closed in a 30 mph wind in less than 30 seconds. Any pro will tell you to re-tie often and everytime you catch a fish or get hung up. Now I don't go to that extreme but I don't think it's too much work to re-tie with every bait change. I used to use the Norman speed clips but quit them after I lost a nice fish and a good crankbait when one got twisted on the crankbait O-ring and opened up. Another thing...if you're fishing crankbaits with them you are not getting the depths you think you are because of the drag of the speed clip. It's just like going up a few pounds in line size. I can think of a dozen reasons not to use snap swivel or a speed clip but I really can not think of one really good reason to use one.

Harpo

Okay, removed the swivel, through out gear in the truck and went to the city park lake. I first tried a "floating" minnow identical to the one in pic above, only a different color. It's the first time I've used it, and to my surprise it didn't float, only sank slowly. So....I figure maybe it was the weight of the clip, so I changed the non-floating one for the one in the pic and cast it in. It floated! Identical baits, only different colors.

As far as knots, I tie a couple of overhand knots, then tie another one opposite direction of first two, clip the tag end, then sorta "ball" the end by burning with end of a cigarette. :wacko:

Harpo,

Did you hear either Tex, Mike or I say that we use the Speed Clips exclusively because they are faster? Nope. Mike mentioned that they were faster to change out lures, but he also admits that he re-ties for "safety-sake". I like the Speed Clips for several reasons. First and foremost, I don't like regular round split rings, as my line sometimes would get caught at the entrance to the split on the ring, and that can cause just as much wear and lost fish as using one of the Speed clips. Secondly, I get more action out of most (not all) crankbaits by using the Speed Clips instead of a regular split ring. I've personally been anal-retentive enough to enter a swimming pool AND a clear lake to check the results as a buddy retrieved the lures as I watched. I have not experienced ANY noticable loss of depth using the Speed Clips. Least of all the kind of depth change that you would see with changing line size. I fish crankbaits almost as much as I fish spinnerbaits. Sorry that you don't like them, and that it is a "pet peeve" of yours. I'm not offended in the slightest bit by your comments. Everyone has their right to their own opinion. However, as you may have a "dozen reasons not to use snap swivel or a speed clip", I can think of just as many that cause me to want to use it. Just my personal preference. If you don't like them, then by all means, don't use them. But you really shouldn't judge others just because they use them - you may not know their reasons for liking them, but it's their personnal preference. Like you said - "not trying to offend anyone", but I had to reply so that you know how someone else feels on the subject. I'm not a lazy person. I retie every lure that I put on, and retie often. Most of my crankbaits have the Speed Clip already attached, sitting in the tackle box. It just replaces the split ring.

All the best,

Glenn

So, I need to remove the split ring that came on the lure, then place the clip directly to the eye molded into the lure?

Thanks for the link, Steve. I was a Boy Scout plus spent a career in the Navy and I tell people I am "knot dyslexic", lol. I pretty good though at square knots and a sheep shank :wacko:

Waterwings,

Exactly. I take the split rings off my lures when I get them, and install the Speed Clips directly to the line tie. If you leave the split rings on AND put the Speed Clips on, then I could see the baits action possibly being messed up, and you run a much higher chance of the Speed Clip hanging up on the split of the Split ring and opening up. I believe the majority of the people that have had problems with the Speed Clips aren't taking the Split ring off first.

Steve R is absolutely right. A overhand / square knot is the weakest knot you can tie. The Polomar knot is very easy to tie, and one of the strongest ones you can do. After that, I would say a Improved Clinch would be my next choice.

Thanks, Glenn. Fixin' to remove the split rings shortly...and go practice my knots, lol. How are things in the Goat Locker?

The Goat Locker's been ok lately, but the food has been way below par this time out. We did the Senior Chief pinning today (nope, I didn't make it this time), so we had some good cake and ice cream, but the normal food lately has been the pitts! How can I maintain my "Chiefly figure" eating this stuff?:p Ha! The salads I've been substituting for lunch and supper are probally better for me anyway.

Glenn

Gosh Glenn, very sorry if I hit a nerve. However, the reason most people I have talked to in person, here and on various message boards, that use snap-swivels or speed clips do so because,as they admit "it take too much time to retie" or "it is too much trouble to retie everytime" in other words they are too lazy or too inexperianced to do the job right. I have, with my own eyes, seen guys use these short cuts on spinnerbaits, jigs, and T-rigged worm as well as cranks and spooks and poppers. If you're retying every time then why use the speed clip at all? Didn't mean to start an arguement I just don't see a reason to introduce a weak link, which in my opinon what a speed clip is, when properly tied to the split ring there is no room for failure. And, I'll bet you won't find 1 pro out of a 100 using them.

I agree with you regarding the round split rings, that's why I have changed most (haven't gotten to all of them yet) of my crankbaits to the oval Rick Clunn split rings but if you are carful not to tie on the opening part you shouldn't have any trouble.

Harpo:D

Harpo,

You didn't hit a nerve at all. Just voicing my opinion, just as you were. I actually thought it was kind of funny that you got a little spun up about what other people use to fish with. You didn't start an arguement, and if that is how you took my response, that was not my intent. I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't on BFHP instead of the Tracker owners web site. :lol:

Peace man!

All the best,

Glenn

some good cake and ice cream

Dang at least you guys have some ice cream. Last ship I was on (ARS) out of LCrk had an ice cream maker but only worked one time. Sitting in Beiruit harbor in early 80's they got it working (for awhile) :) , then a mess cook figured a #10 can of fruit cocktail would make the ice cream even better...poured it in the machine and broke the dang thing. :( . An ARS (Bolster Class; don't know about the new ones) has no ships store, so any Geedunk you want you bring with you.

We did get to have swim call though. Only about 6'-8' to the water off the fantail :cool:

Well..... We all know that I can't catch fish..... So I watch the Saturday morning fishing shows and let the Pro's do it for me! (Kinda "fishin' by proxy"!) I don't think I ever remember seeing any of the Pro's using any kind of clip..... I've seen them use Color-C-Lectors..... I've seen 'em use Helicopter Lures..... And Walking Worms..... And I've even seen them drive tin boats! :eek: But never a clip..... So, since I haven't used one since I was maybe 10..... I don't think I'll start now! :lol:

Well, took all the round split rings off of the few hard baits I have, and added the clips. I'll keep y'all up to date as how they work out. ;)

me! , I catch very few fish also, so maybe the clips will change my luck :)

Tell ya what, WW..... I'll meet you down at the Moors and we can practice! :)

Latest posts

Back