Question on replacing my water pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim ashby

Reaction score
I have a 2001 mercury 150 XRX. Some utubers say my boat must be in gear when removing my lower unit and others say it must be in neutral. I don’t want to screw anything up. Which is correct?

I have a 2001 mercury 150 XRX. Some utubers say my boat must be in gear when removing my lower unit and others say it must be in neutral. I don’t want to screw anything up. Which is correct?
JIm, start with your shift handle in Neutral, check the prop to be sure its not engaged with the drive gear (forward or reverse) at all. I always remove the prop since I do this alone and it helps to decrease the weight of the lower unit. When you insert the lower unit back on just be sure that the shift rod drive spline doesn't rotate any as you insert the coupler. You can check the prop shaft rotation to be sure it is still completely free. If not, pull the lower unit back be sure you still have the neutral set on the shift handle in the boat and the prop shaft is completly free rotating and insert it again. The splined shaft can rotate a bit if the alignment is not perfect causing a near miss on neutral. Check for the clear neutral before you put all the bolts back in.

Have always dropped the lower unit when in neutral.
Make sure to put the water impeller with the ears turn the same way as the old impeller.

Latest posts

Back