Question on fixing Aluminium

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Hey gang - This is a question for all of those metal working guys:

With either the standard aluminium (tracker 175/185 type) or the new formed aluminium (Tundra/Avalanche) how is a dent/tear fixed. I don't have any in my 175 but have always wondered how it is done. I know with steel on the cars we drive they either do bondo on small sections or weld in larger sections or replace a fender.

If you got a large dent or worse a tear, how easy (and how is it done) to fix it in aluminium. I know we've talked about fiberglass being more expensive and harder to fix, just trying to understand the process.

There is a lot of talk of the possible advantage of the formed aluminium over glass, can someone help me on the repair process?

You may have to explain it in laymans terms because I don't know diddly about metal or fiberglass repair or design (i'll leave that to my wife the structural engineer).

TrepMan

They're just like cars as far as I know,...(and no,..I DON'T know EVERYTHING,..LOL) my first bassboat was aluminum and I had a small split ( 2" long) welded,...then the guy ground it smooth and shot it with a primer and then the paint,....looked as good as new!! dents would probably be pounded out as close to original as possible and then filled in with a marine putty or compound and sanded/painted as req'd. Again,..just my guess, but DEFFINETELY cheaper, easier and faster to repair than 'glass!

That I do know!!

Mac

Don't worry Trep, I'm not going to drill holes in your boat...just relax! LOL When my last aluminum rig split, they did just like Mac, (the president of the board of trustees of butt holes!) said. Welded it with filler, but it was on the bottom so need for cosmetics. Just left it.

OK that makes sense, then how about the otherside, what about fiberglass? I think I remember a friend telling me it was a pain fixing his corvette when he get hit. I don't think you can do similar things with fiberglass - either putty or replace the whole component???

Don't worry Rob, i'm not worried about you drilling holes. Remember the old James bond movies where he had saw blades on this wheels, think the same thing on my outriggers LOL

OK that makes sense, then how about the otherside, what about fiberglass? I think I remember a friend telling me it was a pain fixing his corvette when he get hit. I don't think you can do similar things with fiberglass - either putty or replace the whole component???

Don't worry Rob, i'm not worried about you drilling holes. Remember the old James bond movies where he had saw blades on this wheels, think the same thing on my outriggers LOL

Glass is a whole different animal. You're dealing with chemicals, compounds, gelcoats, glitters, clear coats and polishes plus a LOT of labor!! Whereas a crack in aluminum can litterally be welded and repaired within minutes,...'glass repairs can take days or weeks to do. Each step requires surface preparation,.. mixing colors and compounds, applying them, waiting for dry time,...and then lots of sanding and re-applying for each step and color involved!!. Very labor intensive steps. It is easier however to make a repair in a solid color gelcoat than it is with glitter, only because you don't have to try and match the glitters exatcly with the right % of each color glitter etc..that's an expertise in itself!

My cracked aluminum hull was welded and fixed "while I waited!!"....I've never had or heard of a 'glass repair where someone can wait in a lobby while it's getting done!! LOL.

TrepMan,

I think you are definitely showing signs of cabin fever. If you ask about rocket science, I'll have to send someone after you... You may need to do some hard water fishing soon. Hang in there, March is just around the corner!

Barb

Latest posts

Back