Question on 2004 Johnson Motors (end of F&S search?)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Thanks to the great advice on this board, I steered clear of a used F&S with an old Evinrude FICT motor. Given the expertise here, what are folks thoughts on a boat with a 2004 Johnson 150hp outboard (salt water edition - although never actually used in salt water)?

By way of additional background, I had a deal on the Nitro 188 in the works, but that fell through when the seller wouldn't go low enough because he was upside down in his loan (no need for me to pay for his mistakes!). After talking with the wife about what would make HER happy, we decided to abandon the F&S idea and make her happy first with a deck or pontoon boat. The trade-off is I get to keep the PT175 for now and upgrade to a bigger bass boat in a few years. With my PT175 running fine, I can wait if it means something nicer down the road (i.e., no compromises).

So for the wife's boat, we found a very nice used Lowe Deck boat complete with fishing chairs (for the occasional outing) and a layout the boss likes. From the looks of it, the boat hasn't been used a great deal as its in very good condition. They guy that owns in now is a mechanic and has done a compression test on the motor that shows all six cylinders within a few psi of each other. Lowe has a pretty good rep, so I'm not overly concerned about the boat. However, I am not familiar with the Johnson outboards from 2004 and wondered what folks experiences and thoughts are. I know that Johnson is no longer making them in the 150hp size and instead refer to their sister line of Evinrude E-Tec's.

As always, any help greatly appreciated!!

Jim - I would talk to Chris James over at Sturgeon Creek Marina. They are a Johnson dealer and Chris is an upstanding young man ('course nearly everyone is young compared to me) and will give you the straight skinny.

Glad you found something that Irene likes. Now you can fish, ski, tube and just cruise around with your new boat if you buy it.

Good luck!

Jim, Take the 150 and put it on the tracker and put your 40 on the toon.... Then you fish can ski behind you when you set the hook.......:lol: (get it fish can ski) :rolleyes:

BF

Jim, I believe it's the same motor as the old Johnson 150, but made after Bombardier bought the assets of OMC after the bankruptcy.

Is the Lowe one of the Tahiti models? Those are really versatile boats. Lounge, cruise, ski, tube, fish, etc. A comfortable way to spend time on the water.

Thanks guys for the replies! I spoke with the folks at Sturgeon Creek Marina (thanks for the referral Bill!) and they noted no special problems or issues with either boat or motor generally.

Rich - yup, the boat is a Tahiti 192. Aluminum Deep V boat with a pontoon top. Comfy for the boss who also wants to bring the dogs with us on trips out (one big, the other medium sized), as well as friends.

Next year, I'll start bugging folks about best bass rigs!! :D:D

Jim - Glad you talked to the shop about the Johnson (the motor - LOL). Just remember next year that you will need a Nitro glass boat. Shudder to think you would buy something else! :lol::lol::lol:

Hutch - I'm planning on buying YOUR 911CDC!! Stacey will be ready for you to have a new one by then, right? :lol::lol:

Sure if I'm 6 ft under the ground by then if not I'm have been told it will be a cold day in you know what before I get another boat :D

Chris will give you the straight skinny. Now put some electronics, rod holders and get some planer boards so that you can use the deck boat for a striper catching machine. We can all go striper drinking....I mean fishing.

TOXIC

No problem Tox! I'll get it outfitted right and we can really bust up the stripers!! We'll let Bruce unhook 'em all after he's had a few :D:D

OHHH you said stripers like fish, not strippers like girls....:rolleyes: Better get my glasses checked...

BF

Latest posts

Back