PT 175 with rust!?!?!?!?!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Whittemore

Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas why I have rust on the hull of my Tracker???? Did Tracker use a ferrous alloy in their hulls.

Want to see the evidence? Look at DSC0009, DSC0010 and DSC0011 in library. Is this fatal or just a great case of acne?

Sorry I don;t know how to insert a picture in a post. Any brief instruction will be appreciated.

Thanks

Here it is..
DSC00011.JPG

Richard:

I would also be looking at the sacrificial annodes on my outboard to see what their condition is. From the pictures, it appears that they may have deteriorated to the point where they are no longer effective and that galvanic corrosion is taking place through the hull of the boat. The pattern of corrosion on the annodes of my outboard look identical to the pattern that is shown in your photos.

As to the rust issue, you may have some imbedded metal that is rusting, but it doesn't look like it is symptomatic of the entire hull. It's too localized.

MO

Also check for a small short in your wiring system..... That is severe enough that you would almost have to have a short..... Although it will likely be almost impossible to find..........

Could the rust be from some metal transferred in some kind of contact? Look at the "rust" and it appears as part or very near scrapes/scratches...

it could also be steel grinding splatter against the aluminum,or mig welding steel splatter on it.rub it with a soft cloth and see if anything sticks to it.they could have been grinding steel next to it and the shower of sparks could have been hitting it.mig welding steel next to it will do the same thing.

Maybe you rubbed a metal dock, and got some residual shavings, or something like that. Wipe it off, with some steel wool, or fine sandpaper, and see if it comes back.

take some 000 steel wool and rub it where the spots are.we used to take afterspray off windows with it.real fine it is.then if you want to get carried away go to a trailer supply house and get some acid wash for aluminum and wash it down with that to take the residual stuff off it.then get some mothers aluminum polish,flitz,or meguires mag polish and polish the aluminum down.

that should take it off.check to see if where the rust is it isnt pitted when you rub it with the steel wool.the steel wool will put a nice polish on,but leaves very fine scratches,dont do the wax on,wax off deal,rub it in a straight line,that is easier to polish out after the acid wash.

that white looking resedue is oxidation of the aluminum.that takes a lot of hand rubbing with the aluminum polishes/cleaners.the acid will take it off quickly and cleanly.just flush the paint on the trailer really well,and the bunks also.flood it or take it to the car wash and pressure wash it very well,as not to leave any acid on anything.soap it down good then blast it for quite a long time.

Polish it out! It's a hard job but, when your done you can coat it with Sharkhide. It will keep all the oxidation and contanminents off your hull....you can go to my library and check out my 185. It's been on for 4 months now and is suppossed to hold up for four to five years. If you want info...go to Sharkhide.com and check it out...you'll never look back.

TEE

I also agree you may have a bad annode or something...

This post has me thinking (I know, I'll try not to hurt myself LOL). Does anyone know where the sacraficial anode(s) are on an evinrude 40hp?

Thanks,

Dave

damuniz, according to Mofish, they should be located on each side of the lower unit on the motor itself and maybe on the motor/trim mount at the transom.

I want to thank MoFish too. I wrote him and he responded with a dissertation that could pass for a thesis!

Thanks Mofish.

I don't know where the anodes are on every motor, but here is a picture with possible locations to check. The blue arrows are where MY annodes are located. You may also want to check forward of the trim tab, where the yellow arrow is pointed, on the bottom side of the cavitation plate.

P.S. You're welcome, Richard!
annodes.jpg

TEE - you need to warn people before you post photos like that. I didn't have my sunglasses on the first time!

Thanx!!!! BLINDING....isn't it.

TEE

BTW..MO it seems to be holding up just like advertised..so I'm happy with it.

I'll bet you are. But thinking about how much elbow grease that polishing job required makes me glad that my boat is painted!

I'm gettin' old too. All that elbow grease could be better used somewhere else. Maybe this fall.

With a hull that smooth you probably picked up some performace too.

Mofish, I have a bar that runs across the bottom of the transom mount. It's about 8" long, 5/8" wide and 3/8" deep.

It looks like soft aluminum or tinny alloy. Nothing on the motor though.

Yep..that's why I made it a winter project..no way could I squeeze that in now. It's not that hard..I just didn't tackle it all at once. Polish awhile..go get a beer..polish..beer etc. etc...

The worst part is all those towels with oxidation(makes em' turn black).. I bet I used 50. I still say it's worth it..especially for a new boat owner that the oxidation has not had time to really set in.

Ya' know paint does have disadvantages too...

TEE

That's it, Richard! If it's there, you'll want to check two things: first, make sure it's securely bolted to the bottom of the transom mount and hasn't come loose. Second, make sure that it hasn't been waxed over.

If you get past those two, you may have some stray current or an electrical short somewhere that is stronger than the single anode can handle. Instead of tracking down an elusive short circuit, you can always think about adding another anode or two.

Since I can't actually look at your hull, the spots may not have anything to do with your anodes, but they are still an item you will want to inspect periodically.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate all of you.... and your help.

Come on down to Georgia this fall, bring a towel and have some fun with me. I might even throw a hot dog and beer at cha"... :>)

TEE, how did you do the bottom? Laid on your back I'll bet.

Latest posts

Back