Proper ball height for Z19 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWW999

Reaction score
Hello Guys, new to the forum here. I’m anxiously awaiting a 2022 Z19 port that I ordered about a month ago. Got a call this week that it is in production already. So trying to get our vehicles setup to properly tow the trailer. Does anyone know the proper ball height (top of the ball) or the tongue height (bottom of the tongue) to get the trailer parallel with the ground when on a flat surface?

I asked Nitro customer support and they just replied that I need a 2” ball.

I assume most of the Nitro trailers are close to the same height.

Hello Guys, new to the forum here. I’m anxiously awaiting a 2022 Z19 port that I ordered about a month ago. Got a call this week that it is in production already. So trying to get our vehicles setup to properly tow the trailer. Does anyone know the proper ball height (top of the ball) or the tongue height (bottom of the tongue) to get the trailer parallel with the ground when on a flat surface?

I asked Nitro customer support and they just replied that I need a 2” ball.

I assume most of the Nitro trailers are close to the same height.
I just got my 2021 Z19 Sport two month ago. I have a 2016 Volvo XC90 with 2" ball on a 4" lift by
U-hall. Levels it out when towing. You can not up grade these shocks. Only problem I've run into is at some boat ramps. I have to back this trailer deeper into the water to get the boat hooked up to the trailer. If I don't the bow will get stuck under roller. Been boating for 30 years and have never had this problem with other boats. This a heads up due to all the damage condition my boat arrived in. Delaminating fiber-glass dash, scratches in dash, hole in dash, damaged bimini top frame, leaking, gauge lens cover falls off, storage cover vibrates because silicone buttons broken apart. lots of junk in hull from bow to metal around bilge bump. Rusting stainless steel prop and told it's normal. Gas blown out of gas line when you open gas cap. Open very slowly and just let vacuum to vent out, went boat is out in the sun and warm. Take your time and go over the whole boat inside and out. Take pictures and point out to dealer right there. Nitro will respond with their very sorry I got sold a $40,000 damaged boat. Will make note of it then after repeated requests with no response. Tracker Marine in Auburn, NY said they will make everything right. I will have to wait until October for fixes or lose boat for weeks during the summer. Very sorry for being a downer. But feel anyone getting a new Nitro should be warned. The boat runs very nice, you'll love it. Do have pictures and video's of problems. Tracker Service center said their not surprised of the condition the boat was sent in.

getting back to original question..... every rig "sits" differently of every tow vehicle. Best is to buy hitch from dealer at pickup time, or go with various height hitches. Example, when I owned my Targa, I started with a GMC Envoy. That needed a 2" riser hitch. Then I switched to a larger GMC Yukon that needed a 4" riser! The Yukon has a self adjusting shock absorber system (premium plush ride) that height adjusts itself to specific load weights within 200 yards of travel. I recently replaced those & had serious sticker shock at their price! My point is, EVERY vehicle is different for EVERY trailer. You want maximum tongue weight that the vehicle will handle (mine is 500# tongue, 6500# tow weight), and every trailer must be very slightly uphill to hitch, never level or "nose down". Nose up should eliminate the dreaded trailer fishtailing. I carry/own 5 varying hitches for my various trailers/vehicles.

I spent a 34yr career trailering other's items so I'm certain on my opinion.

I have a 2021 Z19 Pro with steel fender tandem axle trailer. I tow with a 2019 RAM 1500. Top of my hitch ball with no load is 19". Truck drops a little when the trailer tongue is dropped onto it. The trailer and boat sit level at this point and it tows very well. Launching and retrieving is easy. Initially my hitch ball was 1 inches lower, the boat towed ok but the tongue weight was higher and the truck rode rougher. Good luck with your new boat. We have almost 75 hours on ours now and we love it. The only problems so far was a bad cranking battery that was replaced without question, and the fuel gauge does not read below about 3/4 of a tank. I will have them address that when I take it in for 100 hour annual service.

61DF24CB-7D00-4C66-8031-D3607A6FDEAD.jpeg

I hope this is not a repeat to first question, however for you guys the correct way to make sure you are towing with the correct height for tire wear and bearing load for the long haul and trouble free towing. With the trailer loaded on the truck and everything that you normally have in the boat like full tank of gas and all the tackle. AZ has a measure at the ball so you want to be on a level ground and measure the bottom of the tongue at the ball to the ground and then measure the rear of the trailer at the bottom of the step to the ground. So if you are lets say 11" at the ball and 13" at the rear you want them to be the same. Come up a inch on the ball and now your even, if that makes any sense or vice versa .

Thanks guys. Great info here and good ideas Donaol on doing a detailed review before accepting boat.

I’ve got a new F250 4WD so this helps, I’m going to need to drop down as the hitch hole is sitting at 23” off level ground. Probably time to just break down and buy the adjustable B&W tow and stow hitch.

Thanks guys. Great info here and good ideas Donaol on doing a detailed review before accepting boat.

I’ve got a new F250 4WD so this helps, I’m going to need to drop down as the hitch hole is sitting at 23” off level ground. Probably time to just break down and buy the adjustable B&W tow and stow hitch.
I have a 16 F250 with a 2" Lift. I bought a very nice adjustable hitch and I love it. I can adjust to properly pull any trailer regardless of Height.. Do it.

I have the B&W adjustable hitch with the 3 different ball sizes. It was some of the best money I've ever spent. It wasnt crazy expensive . . . around $350, I believe. I soon realized how much time I've wasted over years digging through my crap looking for different balls and drops.

Yup, that’s the reason I started looking at the B&W hitch. Seems like it’ll help with several issues I have. Thanks for the feedback on it.

I’ve got a collection of the 2” receiver hitches that don’t fit a larger 2.5” receiver and are not the proper height.

I have a F-250 with a 2.5" receiver and I bought the Curt, its a beast, its available in the 2" or 2.5" tube. I love it, and it includes both 2" and 2-5/8 ball. It has the largest adjustment up and down. You will not believe the weight and quality.

Attachments

• Curt Hitch.JPG
    Curt Hitch.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 17
I have the B&W adjustable hitch with the 3 different ball sizes. It was some of the best money I've ever spent. It wasnt crazy expensive . . . around $350, I believe. I soon realized how much time I've wasted over years digging through my crap looking for different balls and drops.
I have two trucks with the B&W on both. I bought both hitches off ebay and gave between $100-150 each. It took a while but if your patient you can get a good deal. Both of mine looked like new except you could tell they had been slid in a receiver.

Latest posts

Back