Prop Work

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Williams

Reaction score
I have reacently purchased a 2004 929 w/ 225 OptoMax running a 25" Tempest. This boat seems to be a dog out of the hole. It is set in the 2nd hole down on the motor and top hole on the jackplate. Runs fine top end 70MPH by GPS, 28lbs water pressure,5550 RPM. Also have trouble with porposing @ slow speed on plane (about 20 or 30 mph) when trimmed all the way down. Also need a good prop shop in Shreveport La area, any suggestions will be appreciated.

First off I mean no disrespect but I will quote Pat Goff...."It ain't the arrow, it's the indian". The reason I can say that is I run a 929 and have had my fair share of boats and it was just a matter of seat time to get the holeshot down pat (pardon the pun PMG!!). You can work your prop and get better holeshot performance but top end will suffer. These 929's are finicky beasts getting out of the hole but it can be done no matter how much experience you have (read first boat or 50th boat).

TOXIC

Toxic, i have to disagree with you on the prop work. If its done by someone who knows what they are doing it will net so many gains its unreal.

For example like a 929 the NX 882 that i own is noted for poor holeshot, just ask about anyone here that owns one and they will agree. I sent my prop out and had it blueprinted and not only did my holeshot get cut by over half i also picked up 4 mph on top. The greatly improved rough water bite and turning ablity are just bonuses. Every aspect of a boats performance starts with the prop. A stock one size fits all propeller is never going to give you optimal performance. The only way to truly make it perform is to have it tuned to the boat. Its the same as a car it doesnt matter how much power or gears or anything else you have if you cant put it to the ground ( or water in this case). Having my prop done was the best $250 i have ever spent on any boat i have ever owned bar none, i was worth every penny.

Rw i dont know any prop shops down there but i can highy recommend DAH propeller in burlington WI. They do great work and it dosent cost an arm and a leg.

Jim, no problem, I wasn't saying prop work wasn't worth the $$. Just that I get that speed and don't dog out of the hole on a stock prop.

TOXIC

Just an obeservation..

A trophy was faster out of the hole and better top end on my 911 than the same pitch tempest both straight out of the box. Same thing on my old 896 But i also agree a Tempest slightly worked should gain a lot.

If its a tempest plus have you tried removing some of the vent plugs to help the holeshot

A Tempest 25P w/ 2 PVS plugs removed should pop you up decently for your combo. (1/2 to a whole boat length) If you add a hydraulic jack to lower your holeshot trim, you will see a dramatic difference in zero to pad time. I also recomend getting a quality shop to work/blueprint your prop. (Think of it as getting your wheels balanced and aligned on your car.)

Tox, no problem here but saying that prop work to improve hole shot will make top end suffer isnt always true thats all. If done by the right person you truly can have your cake and eat it too.

If you ever have $250 burning a hole in your pocket that you want to spend on your boat invest it in some prop work you will truly be amazed at the difference in every aspect. I dont think i could ever run a "stock" prop again after running mine.

BMCD i tried a trophy on my 882 and it was actually slower out of the hole then the stock tempest, it had way too mcuh ventilation and when loaded down it seemed like it wouldnt even get on plane. Strange isnt it? $ blades are normally quicker out of the hole but not on mine.

Post Script - A Trophy prop on the 929 hull with a 225 is a dog. I'd skip that wrenching entirely. It works great (my 1st choice) on a heavier loaded 911 though!

Heavier? even if so it ain't much. Guess Nitro needs to revise the published numbers, maybe i'm not reading it right?

RW, I really think all you need is to modify the PVS system on your current prop.

This just show that everyone has a different opinion bout props and setups. A trophy will need a higher transom setting to achieve its potential. On a 896, 898 and a 911 i'd choose a stock trophy and modify the plugs for best holeshot.

These guys speak from probably more experience than i have on a 929

rich boger did my prop on my 800 lxs

the difference from before to after was

tremendous. the prop did exactly what i

wanted it to do.it also looked better than

new when i got it back.he has a web site

or you can find him on the bass fishing

home page, props page.(best bet)Just be careful

mentioning nitro in front of the regulars there

cause they think they are junk(although

they seem to have a lot of problems with their

good brands) go figure

BMCD - The 911's weight displacement (where the weight is located) produces a heavier burden than the three blade can compensate for at initial spin up. The poundage difference is not near as crucial as it's location. I've had several of each hull and some of them are noted in my library of boat performance.

Are you saying that the rubber grommets in the prop vent holes can or should be removed? Maybe that's what's wrong.

RW - Yes. Take out two of the PVS plugs (black rubber grommets) and run it. You should see a dramatic improvement. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back