Prop Shaft

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boat4life

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention something I do every season as part of my preventative maintenance on my outboard. Last week I removed the prop and inspected the prop shaft for fishing line, trot line, etc. I cleaned everything up and applied new grease to the prop shaft before installing the prop. I didn't find any line wrapped around the shaft which could tear the seal and allow water into the lower unit. But I did notice light surface rust on the prop shaft due to being in brackish river water. I was able to clean the surface to look like new and now have the peace of mind of knowing everything is good. Also, I know I can remove the prop if needed, because sometimes you can't easily remove the prop if it hasn't been removed in years.

Yep, its recommended it be lubed every year just for the reason you mentioned. I'll do it when I replace the water pump whenever it warms up. Just spent over $700 for maintenance items for the bass boat & pontoon boat (which I just sold to my buddy). Complete water pump kits (with gaskets) ain't cheap, 145 for one, and 157 for the other. Plus half case of Quickleen and half case of Quickare which was $134 for the cocktail mix

"Mercury Component Cocktail" (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare per 5 gallons fuel
-1oz Mercury QuickLeen per 5 gallons fuel
(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).

Great Ideal I also remove my prop in the winter time and let the motor all the way down so Ice cannot get in it and freeze the lower unit. This happened to my brother in law and he had to buy a new lower housing.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• tm.JPG
    tm.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 186

Latest posts

Back