Prop question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popzilla

Reaction score
Just purchased a new stainless Solas prop for my 1999 Tracker Pro Team 185 w/90 horse motor. I actually bought it from iboats. I used the Solas prop finder to ensure I was ordering the correct prop for my boat and motor. Received the prop as promised. Installed it and headed for the lake to test it. Regretfully there is a vibration from 400 to 600 rpms and about 4500 rpms. There is also a new noise during the vibration. Called iboat to make sure I had the correct prop for my motor. They did a three way conversation with the Solas rep who verified that the prop was correct. He verified their prop assistant did indicate the prop I ordered was shown on their prop finder assistant and was sold for my boat and motor. What he said next was that they don’t recommend stainless props for motors under 100 to 110 hp because of the additional weight (basically stainless props to heavy for smaller motors). My question was then why does Solas sell it and offer it as an option on their website and prop finder tool. Sadly, iboats does not allow returns or refunds once the prop has been in the water. So, I’m out over $300.
Curious if anyone is running stainless props on a 90 horse (or smaller) Mercury.
Any thoughts? The rep from Solas did say it wouldn’t hurt the lower unit or motor to continue using the Solas prop, I’m not so sure.

I'm running a stainless Stiletto, 19P on my 90hp Mercury on a Nitro 160TF with no issues. I get 40mph (GPS) @ 5200rpm. I'd like to run a little higher rpm but I've got a jack plate to install & adjust before I start playing with WOT & pitch.

I run a Stiletto stainless on my 75HP (think it is a 21P) and have had no issues (Nitro 640LX). Have run it for about 15 years and never had a vibration. I wonder if the prop is out of balance.

Balance could certainly cause the type vibration I’m feeling. Think I’ll try to deal with the prop company directly. The folks at iboat are cordial but evidently not willing to help out with exchanging or allowing me to return the prop. Guess they’ve been burned on props before but their no return policy sucks in situations like this one. Buyer beware I guess. Thanks

Pete do you happen to know the approximate weight of your prop. I think the Solas is about 13 lbs.

I'm running a stainless Stiletto, 19P on my 90hp Mercury on a Nitro 160TF with no issues. I get 40mph @ 5200rpm. I'd like to run a little higher rpm but I've got a jack plate to install & adjust before I start playing with WOT & pitch.
Tommy do you happen to have an idea of the approximate weight of your prop?
Thanks

Quick follow up:
Curiously, after my conversation with the Solas customer service rep regarding my prop issue, the prop assistant I used on the iboat website to select the correct prop for my boat no longer includes the prop I ordered as an option for my motor.
The rep checked the prop finder tool/ prop assistant, while we were on the phone and also saw the prop I purchased as suitable for my motor. As a matter of fact last check there were no stainless props listed now on iboat for my motor, only aluminum. Glad they corrected their website but would feel better if they would admit their error and let me return the incorrect prop.

Balance could certainly cause the type vibration I’m feeling. Think I’ll try to deal with the prop company directly. The folks at iboat are cordial but evidently not willing to help out with exchanging or allowing me to return the prop. Guess they’ve been burned on props before but their no return policy sucks in situations like this one. Buyer beware I guess. Thanks
I would approach both I-boat & the prop manufacturer with the complaint of it being a defective prop rather than the wrong prop. Usually they would want to satisfy a customer with defective merchandise. If they don't, then one starts badmouthing the merchandise.

I've run a custom made SS prop on a 40HP Mercury with no issues I'll try to pull my prop & weigh it a little later today.

I run a Stiletto stainless on my 75HP (think it is a 21P) and have had no issues (Nitro 640LX). Have run it for about 15 years and never had a vibration. I wonder if the prop is out of balance.
Your Nitro 640LX weighs more than my 160TF. What kind of RPM are you running with that 21P on a 75HP? I don't think that my 90HP Mercury would turn a 21P at peak RPM on my boat.

My guess is that you were sold an out of balance prop. The weight of the prop is not going to make it vibrate- being out of balance , in any way, certainly will- on anything large or small. The idea that you can't run a steel prop on a small motor doesn't make sense to me.... We have 25hp motors an smaller all over here in La. with SS Props and I've never heard of such an issue. They sold you a bad prop and now won't take it back.

The best that I can tell with an analog bathroom scale is that it weighs 11 pounds.
Thank you so much Tommy, appreciate the extra effort. I pulled mine off and it weighs approximately 10 lbs. (using the bathroom scale also). So, weight not an issue based on some of the replies. Thanks again!

Quick update: Been emailing Solas corporate h.q. regarding this prop. At least they responded, now waiting to hear back after corporate speaks to the customer service guy that I originally spoke to. Started questioning my install. There’s only four parts involved- thrust washer, tab washer, prop nut and the prop. Even I can’t screw that up! I think Larry’s post summed it up. Evidence points to out of balance or defective prop, or maybe it was never designed for this motor. Certainly can’t sit back and say oh well when there’s over $300.00 at stake. Appreciate all the input.

Quick update: Been emailing Solas corporate h.q. regarding this prop. At least they responded, now waiting to hear back after corporate speaks to the customer service guy that I originally spoke to. Started questioning my install. There’s only four parts involved- thrust washer, tab washer, prop nut and the prop. Even I can’t screw that up! I think Larry’s post summed it up. Evidence points to out of balance or defective prop, or maybe it was never designed for this motor. Certainly can’t sit back and say oh well when there’s over $300.00 at stake. Appreciate all the input.
I know post maybe closed however you may have a rebuilt prop and the center hub bushing is out of center or one of the blades is bent, I'm in NC and there is an awesome prop shop near by I've ran SS props on small engines no problems hope you get it figured out, b saf, God Bless America

don't know about steel props , but as far as weight I had a brass prop on a 54 40hp merc and it ran smooth as silk. flatbottom in a light chop was like a sled on ice. it would fly.

Just purchased a new stainless Solas prop for my 1999 Tracker Pro Team 185 w/90 horse motor. I actually bought it from iboats. I used the Solas prop finder to ensure I was ordering the correct prop for my boat and motor. Received the prop as promised. Installed it and headed for the lake to test it. Regretfully there is a vibration from 400 to 600 rpms and about 4500 rpms. There is also a new noise during the vibration. Called iboat to make sure I had the correct prop for my motor. They did a three way conversation with the Solas rep who verified that the prop was correct. He verified their prop assistant did indicate the prop I ordered was shown on their prop finder assistant and was sold for my boat and motor. What he said next was that they don’t recommend stainless props for motors under 100 to 110 hp because of the additional weight (basically stainless props to heavy for smaller motors). My question was then why does Solas sell it and offer it as an option on their website and prop finder tool. Sadly, iboats does not allow returns or refunds once the prop has been in the water. So, I’m out over $300.
Curious if anyone is running stainless props on a 90 horse (or smaller) Mercury.
Any thoughts? The rep from Solas did say it wouldn’t hurt the lower unit or motor to continue using the Solas prop, I’m not so sure.
I had a stainless steel prop on my Nitro z6 with a 90HP Mercury Optimax - no problem.

The difference in an aluminum prop and a stainless or brass prop is that a aluminum prop will flex with pressure where as the stainless or brass will not. This will allow the stainless and brass to hold its pitch. If your prop is out of balance it will ruin the bearings and seals in your lower unit. Try to find a local prop shop to check the balance. Depending on the way the prop is made on how accurate the pitch is. Some prop ears are welded to the hub these props can be a couple of pitches off compared to what is marked on a prop. Some props are casted this in a newer form of prop production witch uses a mold which has better accuracy.
Both styles need to be balanced or checked for balance.
Here in Springfield MO there are a couple of good prop shops around this area. Most have retired.
Back in the day there was no stainless steel props just aluminum and Brass. My dad had a 1955 40hp mercury and I run a 1940s 12hp Elgin.

The difference in an aluminum prop and a stainless or brass prop is that a aluminum prop will flex with pressure where as the stainless or brass will not. This will allow the stainless and brass to hold its pitch. If your prop is out of balance it will ruin the bearings and seals in your lower unit. Try to find a local prop shop to check the balance. Depending on the way the prop is made on how accurate the pitch is. Some prop ears are welded to the hub these props can be a couple of pitches off compared to what is marked on a prop. Some props are casted this in a newer form of prop production witch uses a mold which has better accuracy.
Both styles need to be balanced or checked for balance.
Here in Springfield MO there are a couple of good prop shops around this area. Most have retired.
Back in the day there was no stainless steel props just aluminum and Brass. My dad had a 1955 40hp mercury and I run a 1940s 12hp Elgin.
Down here in Louisiana you try to run an aluminum prop & you will be replacing it after every outing. There are too many stumps & other obstacles in the lakes around here to run aluminum props; they break too easily.

Latest posts

Back