Prop Plugs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Corson

Reaction score
What exactly do the plugs do ? I have a 23P Tempest prop PN # 48-825864-A45, and it has NO plugs in it. I have an FX Hydrofoil on too. (My boat is an '04 NX882DC with the 150EFI BTW). Should i buy a couple plugs and try putting them in and see if theres any difference or should i leave well enuf alone? I'm gonna buy 3 of them as i have 3 places for them. Should i try like 2 of them or how do i determine which ones to put in? I am going right now to buy them so, i'd like a lil bit of info as to what i can do or expect from them. Thanx, Jim

The only way is to experiment. When i had my 882 i found 2 smalls and one large was perfect. Having them all the way out my holeshot was a total pig because of too much ventilation.

4 Blade 25p on my 929 and all plugs are in. I think you may have stumbled on why there is a foil...no plugs=blowout.

TOXIC

Hey Jim, You had the XR-6 on your 882, right? I think i'll try 2 smalls and 1 large in my prop, as they are all out. Do i just hammer them in or what? Should i try it w/o the hydrofoil, but with the PVS plugs or just add the plugs and maybe get a bonus? Thanx for the info too, Teri, that showed me alot, and made me understand a lil bit more about the PVS plugs. Jim

I am definitely going to see what plugs (if any) are in the prop and experiment.

i just came back from the dealer and the plugs for my prop are $14.00 ea., HOLY $$$$...... I have a Tempest prop......... I'll hold off on the plugs for now but will get them this summer....... Too bad i couldn't try them out before buying them but, oh well........

Jim,

you can try to use duct tape to open or close the vents. it wont last, but it will give you an idea....

$14 ea is a joke. I think there are aftermarket ones available. They come in 4 different versions. Small, Medium, Large and Closed.

The problem is, my prop is a Tempest, not a Tempest Plus. The Tempest Plus has/uses the PVS system. Mine has the slots/cutouts for them but $14.00, i don't think so and nobody lists "Tempest", its always "Tempest Plus". Is my prop, maybe antique (LOL), or just outdated that much ? Thanx, Jim

Dont worry you can have them added. Have you had your prop B&B'd (balanced and blueprinted)? If you havent you might want to look into it before messing with plugs. They can add the PVS holes at the time.

Nope, no, it has not been B&B'd. Its alot of $$$$$$$, to have done to something that could get ruined by a rock anytime. Probably be better off to find a USED Tempest Plus in the same pitch, then add the plugs. Just finding out as much info as i can, so i know what to look for. Jim

No problem Jim and I understand about $$$ I havent had one doen yet either. Been lucky on prop selection. Good luck.

$14 for prop plugs!!!!! Jiminy Christmas that is steep! You can get them MUCH cheaper, if not free. The duct tape is a good way to close ports for a quick test. Your dealer must be the only game in town for those plug prices. You should ask him if he wants to trade you for seaside lodging in AZ! :lol:

Well, I can't get to my prop without taking the boat out of the garage but I could see one of the prop plugs. Looks like they aren't the solid plugs. Looked like the plug with the largest vent hole so I am bummed. Thought the plugs might make a difference.

John, Is your prop a Tempest or Tempest Plus? If its a "Tempest", and not the Tempest Plus, which plugs are you using, the ones shown in the link you mentioned?

Teri - If you have the largest plug in place on your prop, just pop it out for more low end spin. (Many times the PVS need fully removed for more RPM's.) Even though it's the big plug, you can remove it (or one or even two more Tempest, three more Trophy) and increase your spin. No plug will exhaust more than the largest port plug. Good luck! ;)

Actually mine is a Tempest Plus # 48-825864 23P and it has the same plugs as listed on the link. It has two large installed and I'm not sure if the one that is missing was intentional for performance. I recently purchased the boat last November and I thought it was the none Plus series.

When I first got my 901, I ended up removing all 3 plugs for the best hole-shot (25" Tempest). After a few years, I spun a hub and after replacing the hub, I couldn't get on plane. The prop would cavitate and just blow out.

I purchased two sets of the smallest dia plugs. After each experiment, I'd drill out the holes about .015 (1/16"). After I went too far with the first set, I installed the second set and drilled to the maximum size before the performance went down.

The best size holes will depend on your boat load and weight, so make sure your boat is tournament loaded for best results.

RoyC

Roy - .015 is approximatly 1/64th of an inch.....0625 is 1/16th but I think you know that....lol

Is it safe to run the prop without any plugs long term?

Won't hurt it a bit. Designed to run with plugs in or out all based on what you need for your specific performance.

TOXIC

On the 24p Trophy 4 blade I run in rough water with all plugs out, and my 25p Turbo has vent holes w/out plugs (the holes are not the plug size/style).

I run my Mercury Fury with all three plugs out. I have a 4 blade TRO-4 that was fantastic for overall performance, but was sucking on hole shot in the Texas heat. I recently had a pro shop professionally drill out holes for the Mercury PVS plugs, but I haven't put it back on the boat since I got it back. I need to do that soon just to see how it reacts. I also use solid plugs and drill them out slowly until I get the right size for the application. Cordless drills and a shallow water cove are my best friends during prop testing days. :lol: Saves a lot of time on the water between runs. I did that with my Trophy and Tempest as well. You can have the Merc PVS holes added to almost any propeller if you want to experiment, including those not made by Mercury.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back