Prop Nut Torque

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
How do you torque a Nylon Insert Lock Nut? I have been in mechanical application for most of my life, we were required two torque wrenches one for breakaway (off) and a different one for installation with regular calibrations. Now most Outboard Prop companies sell a plastic nut wrench but the boat manufacturer requires a torque specification for installation of the nut for the prop, so what is the best installation procedure?
I know that during spec jobs, lock nuts and or washers were not reused due to the fact that it was a spec job. I reuse nylon insert prop nuts just due to the price that a marina charges for parts, and use a torque wrench but do not over tighten. Basically I torque to spec back off the nut and then reset the nut until contact.

How do you torque a Nylon Insert Lock Nut? I have been in mechanical application for most of my life, we were required two torque wrenches one for breakaway (off) and a different one for installation with regular calibrations. Now most Outboard Prop companies sell a plastic nut wrench but the boat manufacturer requires a torque specification for installation of the nut for the prop, so what is the best installation procedure?
I know that during spec jobs, lock nuts and or washers were not reused due to the fact that it was a spec job. I reuse nylon insert prop nuts just due to the price that a marina charges for parts, and use a torque wrench but do not over tighten. Basically I torque to spec back off the nut and then reset the nut until contact.
depending on which prop u have my Bravo 1 torque is 55lbs. and my nut is a nylon insert.

The nut contact pressure will vary if you torque to xxx ft lb/in lb. with a nylon insert, lock nut pinch or lock washer than if you use a plain nut with flat washer with locking tab. The question is: Is the torque for the prop with a lock nut or without a lock nut?

Latest posts

Back