Prop HELP

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Dexter

Reaction score
Need a bit of advice.

I've seen previous posts and think I have a similar issue regarding this subject. I have a 02 Nitro 750 with a 2 Stroke 115 HP. I have no jack plate but do have a small hydrofoil (SE 200), not the right one but it does keep the bow down. Boat gets terrible holeshot with full tank, 2 guys, gear and livewell. Absolutely terrible....motor works very hard to get up. Currently running a 26 pitch Lazer II. I think this prop is too big from what I've been told. Top end is fine - gets about 54 mph with heavy load. With light load, just me it goes 58mph, 5100rpm. I want to try a new prop - what's best 4 blade? 24 pitch? Should I even drop down to a 22 pitch? Any help would be appreciated

Wow..a 26? No wonder your holeshot is suffering.

I'd start at a 22...you need to raise your RPM to get it in the upper power band.

BTW..why do you need a 4 blade?

I have heard you get better hole shot with a 4 blade. Not sure as I have not run one on it yet.

Hey BD - I have a similar rig 700lx with a 115 Merc 2 stroke (same engine). I started with a 26p 3 blade Turbo blade with a 4.5 inch jackplate, had it worked to a 25p and my holeshot is great, and top end very similar to yours.

I have tried a Trophy 4 blade 25p and 24p 4 blades, and still found the holeshot for my boat is best with the 3 blade Turbo (its vented, don't know if the laser is vented). I am not a prop Dr. but one question would be if the top end on your Laser is good (it sounds like it, 55-57 on that boat with a 115 Merc is the best i've seen/heard. You might see about having a prop shop put PVS holes into the prop to help the holeshot, or if you have vent holes, what is your RPMS on WOT when you take off? is the prop spinned 3000rpms or is it bogging down? The vent holes will help on take off to spin the prop up. Other option would be to drop to a 25 laser or 24 laser or Turbo 3 blade.

I really hoped the 4 blade Trophy Plus would give me better holeshot, but in the heat down here its not getting me same/better holeshot then the 25p Turbo 3 blade.

I would think ideally if you can get a local prop shop to let you try a 25 or 24p 3 blade (small diameter small blade area like a Turbo/laser) with vent holes, to see if that helps.

Oh and if its the same motor I have, it has a 5250RPM max, so if you are pushing 5100RPMS at WOT, then dropping 1 pitch in prop would get you at the max RPMS for WOT,so if you drop farther you'll need to lower the motor or ensure you don't over trim when running.

Trep

A 24P Trophy (4 blade) should fix you up great with impressive results on your configuration. With a PVS prop, completely remove two hub vent plugs leaving the stock medium vent plugs in place on the other hub vents. That should give you a good balance of holeshot and top end and a better use of your RPM's and HP. ;)

FWIW - No one prop will be ideal on any hull unles you experience similar conditions at every use. Ideally, two props at minimum should be on every bass boat; warm weather (pitch drop & spare), cool weather (primary use). Here in the South I'll switch wheels about mid-June through mid-September, running my primary for the hull most of the year. The 24P Trophy is the prop we rigged on 750/115HP hull for best overall compromise.

The 750 is a hole shot pig ... period. With a full tank, two fat asses in the cockpit, a full livewell and with the wind from behind, the 750 will get up on plane in about a week. I do get better performance with half a tank or less.

The 750 is a hole shot pig ... period. With a full tank, two fat asses in the cockpit, a full livewell and with the wind from behind, the 750 will get up on plane in about a week. I do get better performance with half a tank or less.

--------

I can't agree more - my buddy has essentially the same boat and horsepower but it's a Skeeter and it will give you whiplash when you floor it - nothing like my Nitro.

Has anyone had any experience with Stiletto brand props? I see so many choices....would like to buy used if possible, buying new is tuff when the prop I have is still in great shape.

BD - a few years back there was a guy here in GA on the site with a 700lx that had great luck with the 3 blade Ballistic prop for hole shot and top end. I have not had a change to find/try one, know I read they are thinner stainless then other blades, but on smaller boats supposed to be good props is you don't bend/brake them.

If the 750 is a holeshot pig, then larger vent holes and 1 pitch in prop drop sounds about right.

Hey bd, I have a Stiletto 21p on my 170TF w/115hp.what I like most about it is,

that Proformance Propellers will exchange it (up or down pitch)for a restocking fee.

I tried a 23p and could only get 4800rpms wot/trimed.Also the Stiletto was cheaper than

most(best price I found was Dan's Discount Propellers on-line).I hope to get a Jackplate soon,from what I'm told all good,better holeshot,handling without hurting topend.

Good Luck,nofishcatchin Jim

JimT

thanks for the advise - just ordere a Stiletto - got a 23 pitch, I still get 5000-5100 with the 26 pitch so the 23 should wind up higher and hopefully plane a bit quicker. That's also what the guy from Stiletto recomended (very helpful), said that the 4 blade wouldn't really help. Price was same as buying a used SS prop.

26 pitch seems like way to much IMO. Are those GPS speeds? I think 58 MPH at 5100 RPM is awesome for a 115 on that hull. I have a 2001 NX750 DC with a 90 merc. I am running a 21 pitch Ballistic SS. I also have the small SE 200 hydrofoil. It doesn't struggle to get out of the water but then again.....it doesn't jump out either. In a normal load I can run 45 mph (GPS) at 5300 RPM. Low 40's is average for me. I am planning on moving the motor up a hole or two. Right now I am in the top hole with it sitting right on the transom. I actually run out of trim becuase the motor is so deep in the water. Prop shaft is currently 5 1/2 inches below the pad. Moving it up should all around make it perform better and get my RPM's up a couple hundred more. I doubt a jack plate will help either for me....the 750 hull has setback already and the further you put the motor back, the further the center of gravity of the boat goes back. And with the livewell....batteries....and gas tank all aft there is just way to much weight back there. Especially with a 90 which IMO is underpowered for that boat. I'd love a 135...but thats not in the cards for me.

Good luck...hope this helps...

Mike

bd,

If the one you ordered doesn't work out...this is a post that Glenn sent me back when I was hunting, Max delivers just as Glenn says.

"If you can't find one, and don't have a dealer locally, call "Max" at Bay Propeller in Portsmouth VA. (757) 485-5681. Ask him to loan you a prop to test. If he has what you need in stock (and he probably does), he will get a charge card number from you and ship you the prop to test. If you like it, call him up and arrange to keep it. If you don't like it, call him back, return the prop, and all you are out of is shipping. Or - return it and have him ship you another one (or rework the original one he sent you if it needs just a bit of tweeking). Max has been my prop guy forever. I moved to TX a year ago, and haven't found a single place that I'd trust my props to yet - so if I need work, I ship it back to Max."

All the best,

Glenn

I just bought a 1993 Nitro 190 DC with a 150 Evinrude. It has a 27 (!) pitch prop and there is NO holeshot! The boat will do 73 mph, however I don't ever get it up there as it is a little sketchy after 65!

I am thinking of another prop to try but I am lost as to what I should try. I am going to check out the local shops and see what used props they have kicking around. I will see if they will let me try them out before I purchase one, so that I can get a better idea as to what I want.

Good luck in your search. I find myself in the same position!

Steve-o

MikeMnAZ

The 58 mph is with just me and < 1/4 tank of gas, dead calm water (best case scenario). Speedo says 54-55 under more normal conditions, just me 1/2 tank of gas and full live well. RPMs are 5050-5100. I think the small hydrofoil with the slightly less pitch should at least make my rig bearable. I don't have a lot of extra RPMS to gain - from what I understand I can only go up to 5250.

Hey guys, I been reading these posts, I have a similar issue, I just boat a 1993 Nitro 170TF 115 Johnson Pro it has a 14x17 prop , aluminum. At 5100 rpms, max. My max mph is 41 on gps, and cant even get the motor to over rev by trimming. I tried a 13x19 prop, well I stayed up in the air for a week and would go 7 mph and only 2500 rpms and then after I got rid of my passenger I was able to get the bow down after 3 days in the air,same rpms till I got the bow downthen boat went 50 mphand the rpm's was about 4800. Its the original motor. runs great, its all the way down on the transom. I dont know what the original prop would be? But I see you guys saying 24 to 26 pitch prop I couldnt see that kind of pitch on this motor. I had a 98 700lx with a 90 Force/Merc dont remember the prop it came with, but that boat did 53 mph all the time. Also for info my plane is great when its going the wave off the back is only up from the back about 3ft, so most of the boat is out of the water. Compression is good with the motor an again it works fine, I just think someone changed the prop a few times, the guy I got it from pulled skiers. The holeshot is ok withthe 14x17 not good but ok.

I will raise the motor up I guess if thats what some of you recommend? Other than that I am baffled. Oh, less than a half a tank of gas some water in the live well. and the 41mph is the same with a passenger.

Thanks in advance

Mark

750DC with an 05 Merc. 13-19 prop gives me great holeshot, *with exception to the 2+2* but speed is only 42mph. Trimming up will put me over 5250. What prop diameter and pitch should i order?

Latest posts

Back