Problems with outboard

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B. C. Trahan

Reaction score
My merc 50 does not have a steady stream of water coming out of the cooling water pump indicator hole. A little will dribble out when the motor is first started and idling, but that is it. Any ideas about how to fix before I have to haul it to the dealership?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sounds like you lost your pump. First, check closely to see if anything is obstructing your water intakes. I cut a plastic milk jug in half at high speed and it wrapped around my lower unit (darn jug fishermen). I removed it but still had low pressure. Finally, back on the trailer I found stuff stuck in the intakes. Cleared them and it worked fine. Most places charge less than $100 to replace the pump so don't burn your engine up trying to figure what the problem is. They might even negotiate the price this time of year.

Good Luck

Bear

they are probably right,but first try taking a piece of weedy string at least 12 in. long and work it up into the indicator hole. i do this with the muffs on and engine running at idle. twice a friends motor had a little bee make a nest in there. if this is the problem it will start working instantly. also find out if you have a thermostat. thta could effect this test. you should nto have to run engine very long to check this. you didn't say what year the motor is.for securety you should not go more than 3 years on a pump. especally if you see how simple they are. some people do theirs every year.depending on how much use it is rubber and i belive to fire it dry even for a few seconds cannot be good for it.i belive the water lubes it thanks stan

Agree and disagree about losing the pump, sounds more like a pluged up tell tale. blow some compressed air through the hose back twords the motor, if this doesn't cure the problem sounds like it's time for a new pump.

Latest posts

Back