Pro Qualifier rod snaps in three ! Will they replace it ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
So I'm fishing a tournement on Lake Vermilion when I snag in some rocks I was smacking with a crankbait for smallies.I pull back and to my amazement the rod in what sounded like one 'snap' broke into three pieces.I have never broke a rod in my life till know .Will BPS replace it ? I did recover my crankbait though !

How old was it? Do you have a receipt? If it's less than a year old I would say no prob. Over 1 year I would guess it would be a customer relations issue. Don't feel too bad, the only rod I ever broke was done pulling a spinnerbait out of a tree.

Good Luck!!

Harpo

I just replaced a PQ and an Extreme last night. Look at the rod blank above the handle. You'll find a 3 digit date code (01G, 02G or 03G, etc.)

The PQ was an 03G so there were no questions asked.

The Extreme was an 01G that I just purchased as a combo. I didn't have the receipt and they gave me some flack for being an old rod. In the end, I prevailed and got two new 03G rods with no receipt.

BPS rods have 1 year warranty. So as a lesson learned ALWAYS look at the date codes and buy the newest rod possible. BPS uses the "combos" as a means to deplete their inventory of non-current model year rods.

If you don't want a late model combo, you can choose a new rod and reel ask an employee to combo them for you. You DO NOT have to take one of the "Pre-Assembled" combo's off the rack.

I found some 01G and 02G rods on their shelf (that's how I prevailed). It was a pain in the @$$ looking through the racks but it was worth it in the end. I guess another important lesson is: SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.

Good luck

Marke

Not to promote the competition, but I had a Gaylan's rod bust on me from a hung up tube and I couldn't for the life of me remember when I got it (it was old) but I took it back anyway and found out they don't make that rod anymore...sure sign I was gonna get some hassle. The rod manager handed me a new IM8 and said this would be the closest to what I had (new rod was a lot more expensive) and they gave it to me FOC. Looked at the tag when I got home...7 year guarantee. Not bad. The only other rod I have ever had snap was a GLoomis on a hookset. They have a lifetime guarantee and replaced no questions.

TOXIC

Only rod I ever broke was a one week old Browning spinning rod. I bought it on vacation in Wisconsin - my vacation "present" to myself. When I got back home to Illinois I took it out to the back yard to practice - it was my first ever spinning rod. Well, the first cast went about 10 feet, the second one went clear out of the yard and over the 6' privacy fence. The practice plug snagged on something, I gave it a "little" jerk, and the rod snapped... Browning replaced the rod but I was too embarrassed to tell them the whole story....

i would definitely take it back. my neighbor backed into his garage with my rods in his rod holder on his bay boat. snapped all of our rods in two. we took the pro qualifier bionic blade back to bps and they replaced it as well as the reel since it was purchased as a combo. no questions asked. i didn't have the receipt either. if the rod is in good shape, they will replace it i am sure.

bryan

OK, now I'm convinced. Mine broke last year and I thought it was a fluke (no punn). Then the one I got for my uncle broke this year. Must be a batch of bad graphite....is there such a thing? LOL

Whoa There!

Before you start thinking that this might be a "trend"..... Please consider the total number of Extreme or Pro Qualifier rods that must be owned by the people on this board! Must be THOUSANDS! The actual "defect rate" has got to be almost insignificant. "Destroyed by Customer rate" is surely much higher!

me!

P.S.

I've got 4 Extremes and 5 Bionic Blades - haven't had a defect!

Yeah, but look at your fish!!!

Sorry......Couldn't resist. Let the paybacks begin from the "Bad Kisser" post!!

TOXIC

I use Pro Qualifiers ALMOST exclusively. I've broken a couple of rods in the last year, but BPS has stood behind every one of them. BPS is getting more stringent on returns however. They HATE me... I never have a receipt. I don't feel compelled to save them. But they've never done badly by me. The line on the day after Thanksgiving was HORRID. I've left the store a few times because the check-out lines were too long.

O.K. I found the date code it is an 02G. This is one of the combo's that Mac gave me when I bought the boat.So I assume Its not that old .The nearest BPS is in Chicago or about 6 hours away.Does anyone know someone I could call there ?

Tox... I have documented "me's" fish... The pain of returning to the dock with the "king of dinks" the best catch of the day! If Jesus had had three loaves and three of those fish... We'd all be Hindus!!!

Gross,

Just call 1-800-basspro. They'll take care of you over the phone. Why drive several hundred miles when you can have new one on your door step in a few days.

Marke

Marke I called bps they said it had to be returned to the store it was purchased at. I assume Mac got it in Mich.Does anyone know the name of the person at the counter for rods and reels? I have the number.

Even Jesus can't help me with my catch.....

What I need is Harry Potter and his magic wand!

Mark G.

Also St. Croix has a life time warranty on them.

Buzz

bule sheet. If you don't have a receipt, how do they know what store it came from? What a like of hooey!

I'm with mikesnow. That sounds like crap. BPS is BPS I don't care what state you live in or what store it came from. It has there name on it and 1-800-basspro should take care of it.

I must say that I'm a little disapointed.

Thanks Craig, got a hold of Pat he said no problem ship it back and he'll send one out.That's simple enough ,thats all I was looking for,but some people don't want to be bothered.

I'm going to end up moving to Mi. before its all over just to be close to BPS in Auburn Hills.

Thanks everybody else who posted.

Mini, I probably will end up trying an Allstar Rod Just because you rep. for them.

Thank you Mark....

Try one of the tube rod specials that I designed.....:)

Mini

Just an FYI...BPS Catalog Combos offered in the store are assembled out of the current store stock inventory on site, NOT with outdated or old merchandise as previously stated.

Dan,

In March 03 I purchased 2 combos. BOTH of them were assembled with 01G rods. I'm sure it was from the stores current stock of inventory. But when it is year 2003 and I'm getting 2001 rods, that is OLD inventory. I'm not saying that they are not good quality, I'm just saying that I had to argue to get a warranty replacement because the date was OLD.

If I went to a car dealership and purchased an 01 model car from the dealer stock....did I not just purchase an old or out of date car????

Marke

Latest posts

Back