Pro Guide

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if anyone was running a proguide
V16 or V165 or V175 Sport Model
Thinking on old school Simplicity and Lower HP.
Thanks
Jim
I have been using a ProGuide 175 with 115 HP for several years. It is a good fishing boat. I am 72 and almost always launch solo. The 115 HP Merc 4 stroke will push it at about 40 mph and can idle down to around 2 mph. As an old duffer that is a bit unstable on my feet at times, the deep V hull helps keep me in the boat. If I were to do it again, I would probably opt for the single console without the big wind shield and walk through. That would make it easier to move around in the boat and would eliminate that big windshield sail. One other thing, I would recommend at least a 70lb thrust trolling motor. My came with a 55lb and it is a bit weak but handles it most of the time.

I purchased a pgv175 combo in 3 weeks ago. I love the boat. It handles waves very well and is a dry ride. This boat is very maneuverable. It turns on a dime when on plane. I upgraded the electronics already. I also bought a new power pedestal and butt seat for the bow.
c50eb8739b9d809eff081bb6dee3b4ca.jpg
TM will get upgraded next year. The 55# it is rigged with is fine if the wind is down. If it’s windy I anchor up when I find a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, I just pulled the trigger on a PGV 175 Combo today. It should be here in a few days from upstate SC. I hope to get many years of enjoyment out of it. Hope you have great luck with yours. Bob

Mike, I just pulled the trigger on a PGV 175 Combo today. It should be here in a few days from upstate SC. I hope to get many years of enjoyment out of it. Hope you have great luck with yours. Bob

I hope so too! I’ve been playing around with propellers on my 115. The one it comes with was underperforming. I have a hustler 4blade 13.5x15 for heavy loads and water-sports. Getting a 4 blade 13x19 for speed with a light load. The boat really needs a 4 blade prop it gives it a lot more lift.

Sorry to hear about the poor performance of the stock prop. I was hoping it would be fine and didn't want to have to spend the cash on something like that, but sounds like you've got it mapped out so I would probably go with your suggestion on a prop. Did you buy it at your dealer or aftermarket? My buddy was wondering whether the stock prop would be any good too. Guess I'll let him know what you've said.

Aftermarket prop. Turning Point Hustler 4 blade aluminum prop. A 17 pitch would be good all around, but I don’t mind turning a wrench hear and there as need be.
The stock # is 21431730 for the prop. Amazon, eBay and iBoats all sell this at a good discount off retail. You’ll need a hub kit too. #501.

Good luck!

Mike,

I finally was able to get the boat on the water and didn't have much of a load on it. It ran great and maneuvered well. Fuel mileage was very good. There was just two of us and all the safety equipment and light supplies. I was doing the break in on the motor and running WOT less than a minute as provided in the motor manual. The WOT speed was only 40-42 MPH. What type of speed are you getting from the hustler 4blade 13.5x15?

The only thing I noticed was that the trim gauge didn't seem very accurate. It seemed like the gauge always showed it was down even when I was raising it. It would eventually show it was in the raised position, but didn't seem to be very accurate with the position of the trim in comparison to what it was showing on the gauge. Gonna contact the dealer and see if they can take a look at it. Thanks again, Bob

Aftermarket prop. Turning Point Hustler 4 blade aluminum prop. A 17 pitch would be good all around, but I don’t mind turning a wrench hear and there as need be.
The stock # is 21431730 for the prop. Amazon, eBay and iBoats all sell this at a good discount off retail. You’ll need a hub kit too. #501.

Good luck!

Mike,

I finally was able to get the boat on the water and didn't have much of a load on it. It ran great and maneuvered well. Fuel mileage was very good. There was just two of us and all the safety equipment and light supplies. I was doing the break in on the motor and running WOT less than a minute as provided in the motor manual. The WOT speed was only 40-42 MPH. What type of speed are you getting from the hustler 4blade 13.5x15?

The only thing I noticed was that the trim gauge didn't seem very accurate. It seemed like the gauge always showed it was down even when I was raising it. It would eventually show it was in the raised position, but didn't seem to be very accurate with the position of the trim in comparison to what it was showing on the gauge. Gonna contact the dealer and see if they can take a look at it. Thanks again, Bob

Bob, I have run 4 different props on my rig now and I can’t get her to run any faster than 38mph. Everything from a 13 pitch 32 mph, 15x4 17x3 and 19x4. All top out at 38 mph. It’s like it hits a wall and can’t push through it. What holes is your motor mounted in? Mine is on the top holes. I saw one on Saturday that was mounted in the 3rd hole down. It had a 150 though so I couldn’t get a comparison on speed on his rig. Are you measuring your speed by gps or the speedometer on the dash?

Mike,

Sorry to hear that. I was able to get mine just slightly above 40 to about 42, but that was WOT. My motor is mounted in the top holes too. Not sure why a 150 would be mounted on the 3rd hole unless the shaft was longer. I'm measuring by speedo, not gps. I'll get a secondary reading next time I go out and send it to you. My prop is the Black Maxx 13.25 x 17p. When looking around online, that is the same prop they use on a V165 with the 115 outboard. I'm sure you are, but have you played with the trim at various RPMs to see what is your best speeds? Mine planes quickest with motor all the way down and I trim up a bit throughout as I pick up RPMs.

Bob, I have run 4 different props on my rig now and I can’t get her to run any faster than 38mph. Everything from a 13 pitch 32 mph, 15x4 17x3 and 19x4. All top out at 38 mph. It’s like it hits a wall and can’t push through it. What holes is your motor mounted in? Mine is on the top holes. I saw one on Saturday that was mounted in the 3rd hole down. It had a 150 though so I couldn’t get a comparison on speed on his rig. Are you measuring your speed by gps or the speedometer on the dash?

Mike,
I'm sure you are, but have you played with the trim at various RPMs to see what is your best speeds? Mine planes quickest with motor all the way down and I trim up a bit throughout as I pick up RPMs.

Yep I’m very seasoned at working the trim. Maybe I’m just expecting too much coming from a fiberglass bass boat.
b188656ae0b19c41594f86b056c5becd.jpg

My Speedo says I’m at 40 but gps says 38. I’m doing the prop exchange through turning point and will get the 4 blade 13.25 x 17. I guess it is what it is, unless I get a jack plate to give the motor some setback.

Mike, did you get that 4 blade prop you talked about in the above post yet? Just wanted to see what your gos results are for it.

17 or 19p three blade is all ive used with no issues and no problem getting to the 6000 rpm area 40 mph. I also upgraded to the 80 lb 60” terrova best upgrade ive done to it.

Latest posts

Back